Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics

+3
tjmakz
wide clyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics Empty Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:51 pm

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/mannix-cauley-stein-an-ideal-fit-for-celtics/

Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics
March 24, 2015 10:14 AM

WBZFM_Bio_Toucher_Rich
Toucher and Rich

BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Celtics are clinging to their postseason lives at the moment, holding on to a half-game lead for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Boston snapped a three-game losing streak with a 110-91 win over the Brooklyn Nets, though much can change with 12 games left in the season. While many fans are rooting for the current push for the postseason, Boston’s tough schedule may leave them just short in the end.
There may be a consolation prize to missing the playoffs, too. Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Tuesday morning, saying that, “One win might be the ceiling” for Boston’s playoff aspirations — with a likely first-round matchup with the top-seeded Atlanta Hawks or two-seeded Cleveland Cavaliers.

But missing out on the playoffs and improving their draft spot may land the Celtics the rim-protecting big man they’ve been looking for.

“If you’re looking at size, defense and rebounding, Willie Cauley-Stein is it,” Mannix said of Kentucky’s seven-footer. “He is an ideal fit for, really, any team, but certainly Boston who has some offensive options at the four and five spot with Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. Can Boston jump up to get him? Not if they make the playoffs because he’s going to go in the lottery. But if they can find a way to get their hands on him, he is a terrific defensive prospect.”

Mannix says Cauley-Stein, who has averaged 8.1 points and 6.2 rebounds per game in his three seasons as a Wildcat, could make a big defensive impact for any team who drafts him right away.

“To me, if Boston can find a way to move up and draft Cauley-Stein — and that may mean trading a future first round pick — that’s a guy who would step in seamlessly,” said Mannix. “Unlike the other Kentucky players, he’s a junior so he’s more NBA-ready than a lot of guys coming into the draft. He could step into the team seamlessly next year and be that defensive presence they’ve needed.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics Empty Re: Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics

Post by wide clyde Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:23 pm

I have never liked even reading about the Celtics tanking to get more ping pong balls. So, at this time they will have to find another way to get a guy like Cauley-Stein in the draft. Even if the Cs do not make the playoffs their draft position is not going to improve very much if the ping pong balls fall as they usually fall for Boston.

Trading away a bunch of the draft picks that Ainge has acquired in the last few years is a way to possibly get a high enough draft pick to draft this guy. I have to think that there would be some team in the league who might want to get a couple of first round picks and maybe three second round picks in a deal for their lottery pick this year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics Empty Re: Mannix: Cauley-Stein ‘An Ideal Fit’ For Celtics

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 am

I am more impressed with Cauley-Stein's game every time I watch him. I compare him a little to Nerlens Noel. I don't think he has the same shot blocking instincts as Noel has, but I think he's a better on the ball defender. I think he's the best defensive player in college basketball. I think Cauley-Stein will be drafted no lower than 8th.
It will be hard for Boston to move up to get him. If they offered this years 1st and one of Brooklyn's unprotected picks, they could prob move up far enough to draft him.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 am

yep Cauley-Stein should be top ten and with a good NCAA run may move into the top 5 in this years draft.

Okafor
Towns
Mudiay
Russell

look like top 4 in some order now.

but its easy to see a team selecting Cauley-Stein as early as #5, IMO.

and while he fits the bill for the type of defensive center we all want here, I doubt we can move up high enough to get him (unless he falls of course).

we all kind of know by now here, the options Danny has to upgrade the center position. Free agents (up to $20M in cap space), Trades (players, trade exceptions, draft picks, etc) and the draft.

I feel the draft is a least best way to improve this coming off-season, due to when we are likely to pick and who should be there.

we do need to keep in mind that with the play of Zeller this year, upgrading the center position could also mean just adding a player of Zellers skill level to help him man the position.

This allows Kelly to move to his more natural PF position, where he fits what Stevens seems to want there as a PF who can shoot the 3. of course that also gives us a log jam at the PF spot ,if Bass ends up being resigned.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:51 pm

I watched Kentucky last night just to watch Cauley-Stein, and he is better than I thought that he would be.

He is big and strong enough to play in the NBA, is quite coordinated, catches the ball well and runs very well.  He also seemed to be well conditioned as he played longer stretches last night with their other big man sitting out more than usual. He plays good man to man defense and can help off of his man as well.His offensive game is at least decent in and around the paint.  He may not spread the other team out with any outside shooting, but other players on the team can do that.

From what I saw last night, I would have no problem using up two of the number one picks that Ainge has as well as couple of second round picks to trade up to get his draft rights.  This guy and Zeller sharing the center position would up grade this posiition to the tune of maybe 7 additional victories next season.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:23 pm

A couple of draft picks for Cauley-Stein?  Based on everything I've heard about him, if they could pull that off, super!  Protected or not protected, I wouldn't care.  I would also hope they'd keep Zeller as a backup and a possible member of an offense/defense tandem at the end of games.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:51 pm

A PIPE DREAM UNLESS WE START LOOSING. STEIN IN THE GUY AND WE WILL REGRET THIS LATE WINNING RECORD FOR 10 YEARS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 am

Hopefully, the recent surge of the Celtics will set the tone for what is to follow for years.  An uptempo pace; defensive intensity; energy, opportunism, teamwork.  I'd give that a very high probability of being the Celtics' identity for years to come.  If all that comes out of this season is a solid blueprint for the future, some momentum in that direction, and a thirst for winning, I'll be happy.

I'm betting that the odds of getting Cauley-Stein would be greater by trading up than by purposely losing for the equivalent of another chance at Tim Duncan.  Oh wait.  How did that work out?

I will never be happy for a single Celtics loss!  Never!  Never in a trillion years!  When lottery handicapping trumps root root rooting for the home team as a source of pleasure, that's when I'm happy to check out.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 am

Of course, you are fuly entitled to your opining, but I just cannot agree with your idea to lose games now will result in a much greater chance to get a guy like Cauley-Stein in the draft lottery. The idea of a few extra ping pong balls is still very slim in landing a top 5 or 6 pick if the Cs finish just out of the playoffs. There is no way that the Cs can "catch" the really bad teams at this point to get a legit shot at a very high pick.

It is so much more fun watching our "team" compete night in and night out right now than losing every game hoping to get a different ping pong ball arrangement. Do you think that the Knicks fans are at all happy with their season?

I have to agree with Sam in that I also never will be happy with even one Celtic loss where they are playing to lose.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:02 am

Wide,

It is a deep draft for forward/center this year. 1-9 should get you a very good player to build around without giving up a war chest of assets such as draft picks or players.

The coaching has improved since the 1st or 2nd week in February - namely ball pressure and defense - which has allowed the Celtics to start being in games they would not have been in since the adjustment in early February.

In my opinion, playing to loose is more a shade of grey and not black and white. You can play younger players more to determine what their abilities are and give them seasoning or you can play the starters more. Starters will keep you in the game while younger players may or may not keep you in the game. This time is a time of evaluation of talent as in the likes of James Young.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Nobody is at all worried about a 7 foot college junior who plays close to the basket only averaging 6 rebounds/game? Not sure i would give up our pick and one of Brooklyn's unprotected picks...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 pm

shamfock,

I have not done any research on the other big men in this year's draft, but have not heard that any of the other guys have excessively better rebound numbers.

Another thing to look at with Cauley-Stein and any of his stats is how many minutes per game he is playing on a Kentucky team that has so many other quality big men. One of the announcers on Thursday night stated that Cauley-Stein was playing additional minutes in this game since Towns was spending more time on the bench than usual.

If he is only getting 15 minutes per game at Kentucky, six rebounds per game is not terrible. Ten more minutes per game should get him four more rebounds to get him up to 10 rpg which is not bad.

Another thing to consider is not letting one stat make or break a kid if he has plenty of other skills. He is big, strong, runs well, catches well, plays good defense, etc, etc.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down