Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year

+9
Sam
Outside
Sloopjohnb
dboss
kdp59
sinus007
bobc33
gyso
bobheckler
13 posters

Go down

Would You Want Danny To Trade For Hibbert?

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Vote_lcap11%Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Vote_lcap89%Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Vote_rcap 89% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 9

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Empty Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year
Brett Pollakoff Apr 17, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptuxmjazyzyzztexnze4nmq3mgvmmjayn2y2nwy4n2m4-e1417819082575

Roy Hibbert was viewed as a key player for the Pacers during two straight trips to the Eastern Conference Finals. But his time in the good graces of both head coach Frank Vogel and team president Larry Bird appears to have come to a close.

Indiana missed the playoffs this year (just barely), thanks mostly to All-Star Paul George being sidelined for the bulk of the regular season. At exit interviews, however, both Bird and Vogel made it clear that the organization is ready for a change to a more uptempo style — one that would lead to a diminished role for Hibbert next season.

There’s a lot more to this, but first, the quotes — via Candace Buckner of the Indianapolis Star:

“I was talking to coach earlier, we’d like to play a little faster tempo,” Bird said. “And that means we’ve got to run a little faster, maybe at times play a little smaller. We just got into it, so I don’t know what style, but we’d like to change it a little bit. … But I would like to score more points and to do that you’ve got to run.” …

When asked if Hibbert would be benched next year as Indiana pushes for more a quicker pace, Vogel responded: “Yeah, potentially.

“We’ll have to see how it all plays out and what the roster ultimately looks like but there’s a possibility that Roy’s role will be diminished, if we’re trying to play faster and trying to play smaller,” Vogel continued. “But a lot of stuff is going to happen this summer, we’ll see how the roster shapes out coming into next season.” …

Though Bird appeared hopeful that power forward David West, 34, will take his player option and stick around, he sounded less sure about Hibbert. When it comes to Hibbert, the unknown may be the only thing that’s apparent.

“Roy, I have no idea,” Bird said. “We just talked about different things and whatever he does, he does. I don’t know what he’s going to do.”

If all of these remarks are indeed sincere, then Bird and Vogel deserve a ton of credit for being so honest with reporters in discussing the franchise’s future plans.

But it’s worth noting that there may be a very real ulterior motive in play.

Hibbert has a player option for next season for $15.5 million; these comments make it seem as though the team would rather he opt out and explore his options as a free agent instead.

But the smarter thing to do would be for Indiana to hope he opts in, and then trade him for something of value in return — if in fact they’re ready to go in a completely different direction in terms of style, as Bird and Vogel seemed to discuss so candidly now that the Pacers season has finished.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Empty Re: Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year

Post by gyso Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:02 pm

No.

If Larry Bird doesn't want him, neither do I.  Certainly not for $15.5 million.  Certainly not if his contract expires after only one year.

"Roy Hibbert was viewed as a key player for the Pacers during two straight trips to the Eastern Conference Finals."

They viewed him as such, but Hibbert failed to be that key player.

"At exit interviews, however, both Bird and Vogel made it clear that the organization is ready for a change to a more uptempo style — one that would lead to a diminished role for Hibbert next season."

Even if Hibbert stays with Indy, his role may diminish.

No, I don't want that guy.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year Empty Re: Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year

Post by bobc33 Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:38 pm

I voted no, and would not want him unless somehow he convinced Danny his effort and attitude with the Pacers were misunderstood and he truly is an all in Team guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi,
Voted YES. But there are "ifs", of course: contact $ and length, his attitude.
The main reason for yes was DA is looking for a rim protector - here you are.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:07 pm

NO....if he can't play in the Pacers "up tempo" style, how would he fit here?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:49 am

No because he is not a good fit for the new Celtics style. And he probably thinks he is still a max contract player which he is not. He is sliding down the back end of a bell shaped curve.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 am

Not at his asking price.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:23 pm

I voted "no" -- not a good fit for Stevens' system, has an overly large contract because he's 7'2" but is only a mid-level performer, and his softness (as evidenced by his disappearance in last year's playoffs) is more than a little worrisome.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:33 pm

I voted 'no'.

What we need is more of a Kevin Garnett/Nerlen Noels type.  I'm not saying Noels is as good as KG, that'd be flat-out barking mad, what I meant by that is we need a long, quick defender rather than just BIG.  I liked Pekovic for us, before, but wouldn't want him now for the same reason.

If we got a human pogo stick, and didn't get a bruiser, then we'll be getting abused by the Howards and Pekovic of the league but there aren't that many of them.  Having a mobile shot-blocker who can run the floor and hit jumpshots would be better for Brad's uptempo game. You can take a bruiser out of his game by throwing a variety of doubles at him (e.g. drop down the strong side guard, pull the weak side guard over, bring the weak side forward over and rotate to cover his man or, if we're talking about a paint-allergic Rashard Lewis type, play zone so we can close out either weak-side shooter quickly). All these double throw a different look at the center and he has to figure out where we are uncovered. If our back court does their job and makes them take a lot of seconds off the shot clock before dumping it in, then he has to make that decision quickly and that makes for mistakes).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

This year, the Celtics got rid of a player who played up to his potential when he felt like it.  This guy has the same rap.  Pass.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:12 pm

sam wrote:This year, the Celtics got rid of a player who played up to his potential when he felt like it.  This guy has the same rap.  Pass.

Sam

That could describe both Rondo and Green. Which one did you mean?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Steve, that's exactly why I made it ambiguous.  Take your pick, or you could even say "All of the above."  LOL.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 pm

LOL Mark Blount???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:26 pm

sam wrote:Steve, that's exactly why I made it ambiguous.  Take your pick, or you could even say "All of the above."  LOL.

Sam

You said "a player," which means one. Not "some players," which could have meant "all of the above."

By the way, above what?

You obviously had one particular player in mind when you wrote "a player." Since he's no longer on the Celtics why not say who you meant?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:03 am

Steve,

I assumed that, since your sentence immediately prior to my post in question began with the word "Which" and ended with a question mark, it was, in fact, a question.  I answered your question.  "All of the above" was intended to be a little light humor referring to your comment about both Rondo and Green.  That's why I said, "LOL."  My response was intentionally indefinite, because the point of my original post was not to call out either player by name, thus retreading ground about Rondo and Jeff, but simply to suggest that the Celtics do not need a player for whom trying could even appear to be optional.  I believe my point was made by leaving it to knowledgeable members to plug in whichever name they wished (or both at their discretion).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:48 pm

No, not at all. NO heart in that guy, no fight just a big body. Sorry, NO
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Also, NO to Hibbert almost at any price never mind 15 M.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Just look at what happened last year. They went on a tear at the beginning of the season, looked like Miami would never make the playoffs, and then he just disappeared. I cannot imagine Stevens wanting to coach a guy like him. Vogel is a pretty even tempered guy and if he doesn't want him why would DA and Stevens?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:42 pm

As many faults as he has, he still has an ability to anchor a defense better, much better than any big on this roster. He is definitely not worth near 15 mill, perhaps if by 2016, if we still haven't found Mr Intimadator, a real possibility, he could be worth some type of vet contract on the cheap. If his contract could be cheaper or real fair value by 2016, I'd trade him for Z or KO in a second.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:56 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:LOL Mark Blount???

that is a great comparison for Hibbert.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down