Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge

5 posters

Go down

Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge  Empty Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge

Post by gyso Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am

Gary Tanguay said it, so it must be true!! [/sarcasm]

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/brad-stevens-is-the-boston-celtics-bait-for-stars-like-lamarcus-aldridge?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

The Celtics made us proud and gave us a nibble of postseason entertainment during what otherwise has been a tragic spring to say the least. But now it's time to get real.

Let's face it: The little-engine-that-could storyline is only good once around the track. After that it becomes frustrating. Furthermore, it can lead to an implosion in the ranks. Players and coaches feel the same way we do. The last thing they want is another 0-4/happy-to-be-here trip to the playoffs.

Danny Ainge pulled off franchise-changing deals when he brought Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett into the fold with Paul Pierce, which led to a 17th banner hitting the rafters. Now Ainge must do it again. And he has to start now.

The Celtics have about $27 million available under the cap next year . . . and there are players to spend it on. Monta Ellis is expected to opt of his Dallas contract. (Sorry, folks, Isiah Thomas is not as good as Ellis; quite frankly, I think he's overrated. He's a fun player but not a core piece.) Omer Asik of Atlanta is someone else the Celtics could bring in.

And here's a name for you: LaMarcus Aldridge. I never thought he'd leave Portland, but reportedly he's getting restless in the great Northwest.

I'm well aware of the challenges in recruiting top-of-the-line free agents like Aldridge to Boston, but Danny has to give it a shot. Ainge, Brad Stevens and Wyc Grousbeck need to be in the air on the first day of free agency to bring this guy here.

Will it work? The odds are against it. Places like Miami and Los Angeles are more appealing to young men with a lot of money. I love Boston, but can you blame them? What's it going to be in January? South Beach? Malibu? Or the Cape?

But it's not impossible. Maybe Boston doesn’t have string bikinis and Hollywood parties. Here's what it does have: Brad Stevens.

Yes, the coach who looks like a banker can be as attractive to a LaMarcus Aldridge as a babe on the beach, or hanging with Usher poolside. Why? Because Stevens is a winner.

No matter how much we like to stereotype players as money-hungry, party-craving, mogul wannabees, winning -- for the most part -- is the most important thing for all of them. (Rajon Rondo, of course, is the exception.)

So why would Aldridge want to leave Portland for Boston? First of all, it's not like the climate is worse here; rain or snow both suck. Second, players want to play for a guy like Stevens. Third, and most important, Aldridge is never getting to the NBA Finals if he stays with the Blazers. The Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Rockets, Grizzlies and Warriors are blocking Portland's path in the West. In the East, if you put Aldridge on the Celtics and make a couple of other solid moves, well, they're a bad LeBron series from the Finals. Hey, if Aldridge had been on this year's Celtics team, the series could have gone seven.

Brad Stevens has done his job in establishing his way of doing things. His leadership got this rag-tag bunch to buy into playing like a team and playing hard. This, and his in-game strategy, made us all realize that he's the guy. The rest of the NBA realizes it, too.

He's the Celtics trump card. It's time to play it.

Back to top Go down

Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge  Empty Re: Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 am

the only thing is that Aldridge just may be a bit on the older side for what Danny is trying to do here, as he will trun 30 this summer.

and of course there is also the talk that San Antonio will bring him home this off-season to replace a retiring Duncan.....we won't be able to compete with the Spurs I am afraid.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge  Empty Re: Stevens is the bait to snare a big fish like Aldridge

Post by wide clyde Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:22 pm

kdp,

I also would like Aldridge more at 28 years old, but I do not think that he is too old for what the Cs are doing (at least on my calendar of improvements).  

My thoughts are that they are three years from contending, depending upon what happens in the next two years, for a championship.  Just getting to the playoffs was accomplished this season (gladly a year ahead of my calendar) so anything less next year is unacceptable.  Moving up to at least the middle of the eastern conference should happen next year as well as winning a first round playoff series (or better).  Then it should be the goal to threaten all the teams in the East for first place and getting to the Eastern Conference championship.

Anyway, at that time Aldridge will only be 33 years old.   Certainly not young, but not old either.  Lets call him a 'grizzled', team oriented veteran at that time.  He will then play the last year of a four year Celtics contract, help to get the team to the top of the East again although he may play fewer minutes for a lot of dollars.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:43 pm

gyso,

Actually, Gary Tanguay said it, so it must be obvious.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm

sam wrote:gyso,

Actually, Gary Tanguay said it, so it must be obvious.

Sam

sam,

Obviously wrong.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down