The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics

+2
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics Empty The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics

Post by 112288 Wed May 27, 2015 8:53 am

CSNE

A. SHERROD BLAKLEY

If the Boston Celtics decide to keep their NBA Draft picks, 16 and 28 overall, what will they be looking for? In the weeks leading up to the NBA Draft, Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix will look at the C's options at different positions. Today's position: small forward.

Most Intriguing - Kelly Oubre, Kansas

"Oubre had an uneven season with the Jayhawks and didn't look comfortable slipping into the hole once occupied by Andrew Wiggins. Oubre's a scorer, he has great offensive instincts and a nice looking jump shot. His ballhandling needs work and, like Wiggins, needs to become more aggressive attacking the rim. But if those pieces come together, he has the potential to be a star."

Biggest risk - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Arizona

"Hollis-Jefferson is a defensive stud. He's long, athletic and great instincts on that end of the floor. Offensively he's just the opposite. He can score in transition, but has looked like a liability in the half court offense. One-dimensional players can exist in the NBA - think former Celtic Tony Allen - but you generally have to be a great one-dimensional player to do it."

Dream scenario - Stanley Johnson, Arizona

"Johnson is another defensive-minded forward, but one with an offensive game with potential. Johnson isn't much off the dribble, but he was a better than expected shooter at Arizona and uses his physical tools well. He's a project - a bigger one than a player like Winslow - but the upside for a player with his physique and defensive instincts is huge."

Back to top Go down

The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics Empty Re: The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics

Post by bobheckler Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 am

Can someone explain to me why, with Wallace under contract, Turner under contract, Young under contract, and a proven NBA and international player like Gigi, we would want or need a SF?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics Empty Re: The Greenlist: Possible small forward targets for Celtics

Post by kdp59 Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 am

not to mention Crowder being a RFA and totally under our control.

I guess they are looking at all possible selections for each position and you always have to take the BPA IF there I a big difference in talent when you pick.

so yeah , if Johnson slips to 16 you take him without hesitation.

but if Kaminsky , Oubre , Portis and Looney are all there at #16....now you have to add team needs into the equation.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 am

kdp59 wrote:not to mention Crowder being a RFA and totally under our control.

I guess they are looking at all possible selections for each position and you always have to take the BPA IF there I a big difference in talent when you pick.

so yeah , if Johnson slips to 16 you take him without hesitation.

but if Kaminsky , Oubre , Portis and Looney are all there at #16....now you have to add team needs into the equation.

kdp,

Thanks, I forgot about Crowder. Sam will skin me alive.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 27, 2015 11:09 am

bobheckler wrote:Can someone explain to me why, with Wallace under contract, Turner under contract, Young under contract, and a proven NBA and international player like Gigi, we would want or need a SF?

bob

Bob,

I think it's just about upgrading the roster at SF.
I think Boston views Crowder as a 6th man who will come in and guard the best forward the other team has on the floor.

Wallace is done.
Turner is more of a 1 and a 3. Good player but not a SF who will play 38 minutes per game.
Datome is a journeyman NBA player.
Young is still so raw. He might turn into a productive player at some point.

But, I agree with the point that Boston has other needs to address before drafting another SF unless one of the top guys drops into their lap or they trade up for one.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed May 27, 2015 11:46 am

I also would not spend too much time looking for a small forward in this draft unless the GM already has secured a player who will much upgrade the center position.

Compared to what it will take to find a center, small forwards would almost be a 'dime a dozen' type of thought for me.

As Bob mentioned the Cs already have three or four guys who can play that position who combined are at least decent although individually none of them are complete players.

Small forward needs to be the second or third spot to upgrade via this draft for the Celtics. I think that this position will be easier to fill with a trade or even free agency unless one of the very top two college guys somehow become available.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Bob,

I didn't think you had forgotten Crowder.  I just figured you didn't include him because he's not currently signed for next season.  (Although I'll be very surprised if he's not a Celtic free agent signing.)

I agree with TJ that the Celtics currently view Crowder as a better, more consistent, more productive sixth man than as a starter.  As a starter, he only infrequently even touches the ball on offense, which exacerbates the likelihood that he will take more risks with his shot selection during the relatively few touches he does get.  It's just not a good fit.  As a member of the second team shock troops, he's a leader; he commands the respect as a leader; and he knows he has special (slashing) offensive skills that are needed by the bench group.  He's obviously more comfortable coming in off the bench (at least with this team as currently constituted); and I'd be willing to bet the farm that he even shoots better from the arc as a sub than as a starter.  And, as I find myself increasingly reinforcing lately, quantity does not trump quality.

So I can understand why the Celtics could be interested in finding a real offensive force at SF.  Whether they should hold off to see what guys like GiGi or Turner could provide there is another question.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Bob,

To answer your question - Wallace is past tense - he is not a good shooter and not in our future, Turner has been used as a combo guard to bring out the best in his talent, and Gigi did not impress me as a guy I want to have in the future. They can get a great talent from the draft and pay him 2/3 less.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 29, 2015 10:06 am

I tend to agree with your analysis on my ever-growing theory that this team cannot afford to allow quantity to trump quality.  My only hesitation would be in the case of Turner, who may stop short of having a position at which he could potentially be a leader at the next level but might be a useful Jack-of-all-trades to add versatility to the depth chart.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Sam,

You always need one Jack of All Trades on your team in case of injury or just creating a spark. But in your key starting positions, you need to have a few 2 way players that do things great. No successful team has had starting players where the majority or all were half players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down