Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”

4 posters

Go down

Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” Empty Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”

Post by bobheckler Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”
Kurt Helin May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” Cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnjzgi3ymiwn2y1nmy2ndhhy2jjngjjowvjm2nlmzix
Getty Images

There are times Dwight Howard says things — well-intended things — that just come off as his foot in his mouth.

He had one of those moments on the podium Wednesday night, after his Houston Rockets were eliminated from the playoffs by the Golden State Warriors. Here’s his answer on the difficulty of overcoming the injuries the Rockets’ had, as reported by Matt Moore of CBSSports.com’s Eye on Basketball.

“It’s tough, but I won’t stop fighting,” Howard said. “I’m going to continue to push myself to the limit and remember that, no matter how he season ends, I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”

I would like to think we can all cut Howard some slack on that statement, because it reads to me as he believed this team could win — and you want him to think that. I’d be worried if he didn’t believe his team could be a champion. Plus he had a strong series for Houston.

But we all know that’s not going to happen.

Howard is not a champion. He did lead the Orlando Magic to the Finals one year, but that’s not how he’s remembered. There are a lot of fans — many of them based in Los Angeles — who think he lacks the heart and passion to win it all. I’d argue that’s more about his teammates and health — one cannot will oneself to a title by himself. Michael Jordan needed Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant to get past the Bad Boy Pistons. But he couldn’t get along with Kobe Bryant and is a guy who wants the game to be fun.

His reputation isn’t going to change until he wins. For some, nobody’s a champion until they are. For Howard, he’s already there.

bob
MY NOTE:  PAINT YOUR FACE, CLOWN!!!

Isn't there some kind of drug testing program in the NBA?  What the hell is he on?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” Empty Re: Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”

Post by Sam Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Doesn't "still" mean "once was?"  Resume check, Dwight.

I've always found that, the more players talk about being champions, the fewer true championship genes they have.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” Empty Re: Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.”

Post by wide clyde Thu May 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Howard is a very talented player, but needs to be the third or fourth cog on a potential championship team.

He just does not seem to have the "something" that it takes (beyond physical play) to lead a team to a championship.  Not sure what it is that he doesn't have, but there is something missing in his NBA makeup.

Talking about being a champion after getting eliminated from the playoffs may be part of what he does not have.  Most likely better to just congratulate the Warriors, wish your teammates a good summer, go home and rest up for a while.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Wide Clyde,

For the most part, I think most of the "main cogs" of basketball teams have(had) an instinctive grasp for the game that transcends the bits and pieces many other players have (had).  Whether it's been Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, West, Cowens, irving, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Jordan, Kobe, Pierce, or Lebron.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu May 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Sam,

Exactly right. The 'main' cogs do have 'it'. That is why Howard needs to be on a team where he can be the second level of 'cogs'. Not having "it" is why Rondo failed himself and the Cs this year, and why Howard has failed his team in his three NBA stops.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 28, 2015 11:39 pm

sam wrote:Wide Clyde,

For the most part, I think most of the "main cogs" of basketball teams have(had) an instinctive grasp for the game that transcends the bits and pieces many other players have (had).  Whether it's been Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, West, Cowens, irving, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Jordan, Kobe, Pierce, or Lebron.

Sam

Sam surprised, but glad you included Pierce on your list, I've always been his biggest supporter, there were many times you poked many holes in his game, didn't think you appreciated him as much as I did.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down