R.J. Hunter. #28

5 posters

Go down

R.J. Hunter. #28 Empty R.J. Hunter. #28

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:50 pm

6'6", 185#, 6'10 1/2" wingspan, 21 years old.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/R.J.-Hunter-65208/

Projected to go #23.

The George State scorer measured 6'4.5 with a 6'10.5 wingspan and a slender 185-pound frame. He's a bit heftier than a young Jamal Crawford, who measured 6'4.5 without shoes with a 6'10 wingspan and a 175-pound frame way back in 2000. Hunter's length gives him quite a bit of positional flexibility and will be very attractive to NBA teams when considering his outstanding shooting stroke and ability to pass the ball.

28. Celtics: R.J. Hunter, 6’6” shooting guard (Georgia State). Boston has picked up a couple of scorers. Hunter can score the rock. He can shoot the three, he can get into the lane and finish, and he’s a good passer. Yes, his shooting percentage wasn’t great and his shot selection a little questionable last season, but his role was to score and defenses were geared up to stop him. Defensively he was given a green light to gamble a little. How will he adjust to the NBA where he has to play a role and be more disciplined defensively? If he adds some muscle he could be a nice scoring two guard.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

R.J. Hunter. #28 Empty Re: R.J. Hunter. #28

Post by rambone Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:14 am

He has an 8'8" standing reach, which is outstanding for a shooting guard. Too bad he shoots the ball so low, but this guy is almost definitely a better all around shooter than D'Angelo Russell, and not toooo much less athletic.

And Rozier is a perfect point guard to draw Hunter's defender away to get him good looks.

James Young will benefit greatly from Rozier as well.

Kyle Korver would be a shell of himself if he didn't have two hyper-quick point guards wreaking havoc and getting him open looks.

Same with Courtney Lee, who suddenly found himself with a lot more open looks in Memphis with Mike Conley getting in the lane and drawing help defenders

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:27 pm

This kid is really starting to grow on me.

His range is not only NBA 3pt ready, it's beyond NBA 3pt ready, with a quick release. I love how much he uses the glass on elbow jumpers and his pick-and-roll passes are provoking a drool reflex in me (and probably in Sully, Kelly and Zeller too). As you might expect with a player with a rep as a shooter, most of his highlights are of his shooting and offense but there are some quick hands shown too.

6'10 1/2" wingspan on a 6'6" body. Nice. His length, at SG, might help offset his underweight (185#). By comparison, Klay Thompson is 6'7", 205# with a 6'9" wingspan.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Show me someone who's a student of the geometry of basketball, and I'll show you someone with great basketball IQ.  He seems remarkably under control while taking a lot of improbable shots.  He already possesses the variety of offensive weapons that it could take James Young a long time (if ever) to duplicate.  His offensive versatility also looks as though it will put Avery Bradley to shame.

Knows when to take it to the hoop and finishes strong.  Absolutely fearless from way outside.

As usual, they don't show any of the misses, and they don't given even a hint of his defense.  But this guy displays a major foundation with which to work, and he already seems to have an NBA kind of mind set.   IF Danny were to take some gambles in trading Smart and/or Bradley, this kid has the kind of potential I'd like to see waiting in the wings.  (Qualifier = defense)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:29 pm

R.J. Hunter. #28 Reggie-miller-knicks-630

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Reggie was definitely more athletic. His arms were probably longer too.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:37 pm

His Dad was a college coach, and Brad Stevens tried to recruit him at Butler. Brad loves this kid and appreciates his high bball IQ.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:41 pm

rambone whats the point? Reggie Lewis used to eat up Reggie Miller and was a better defender.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:30 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:rambone whats the point? Reggie Lewis used to eat up Reggie Miller and was a better defender.

I just wanted to point to another skinny, long armed shooting guard who didn't rely on athleticism to have great success in the NBA. But maybe Hunter can play like an old Reggie Miller. Even that would be great for us.

As an Indianapolis kid, Hunter and his father probably watched a whole lot of Reggie Miller. Especially the father, who taught the son.

Scouting reports say Hunter's best skill is coming off of curls and screens and knocking down shots. That was Reggie Miller's game

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:05 pm

nba.com wrote:Everyone in the NBA, though, believes R.J. Hunter has to get much, much stronger to have a real chance. Listed at 190 pounds, Hunter compares to a Kevin Martin -- but Martin, as one scout pointed out, has frequently gotten to the basket and to the foul line throughout his NBA career. Hunter will have to do a lot of work in the weight room to get there.
"I've known R.J. since he was a little kid," one scout said. "But he's got to get stronger. He fared well in KD's camp against all the top guys this summer. But he's going to need some strength, and that's going to be important to him."
Skinny guys have done well in the NBA -- Reggie Miller seemed to hold up. And skinny guys that can shoot as well as Hunter will get the benefit of the doubt. "He can shoot and has a high basketball IQ," one Western Conference executive texted. "...An extremely poor man's Reggie Miller."
I think R.J. is going to be a 10-year pro. I think he's got a chance to be a lot better than people think.
– One scout's thoughts on Georgia State's R.J. Hunter

Said another scout: "he's a first rounder. He has to work on his physicality and has to get stronger, but he can really shoot. Decent size. Athletically you're going to want a little more from him, but from a skill perspective he's pretty good."
Those that like Hunter really like him.
"I think R.J. is going to be a 10-year pro," a scout said. "I think he's got a chance to be a lot better than people think. I liked him a lot last year. He certainly knows the game for a young man. I think he's going to be really good. I'm not saying Steph Curry good, but he has a chance to be a really good basketball player. If he was at Kansas, he'd be like a Ben McLemore. I think he's going to be like a Bradley Beal, and worst case, McLemore."

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:44 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down