Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man

4 posters

Go down

Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man Empty Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man

Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man 16399535-mmmain
FILE: Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol (33) drives past Boston Celtics center Kelly Olynyk in the first half of an NBA basketball game Friday, Nov. 21, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon Dill)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on June 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM, updated June 27, 2015 at 1:40 PM

After concluding the NBA Draft this week, the Boston Celtics still plan to chase top free-agent big men but are not optimistic about their chances of landing an established frontcourt star, according to sources within the organization.

This summer's free-agent class is stocked with difference-making bigs, including unrestricted free agents Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge. Based on competition from those players' current teams, plus suitors more ready to contend for a title now, the Celtics could need to make quite a pitch.

Earlier this week, the Los Angeles Times reported Jordan has scheduled in-home visits with four teams: the Clippers, Bucks, Mavericks and Lakers. Likewise, the Celtics were not included on the list of teams Aldridge will reportedly consider. Gasol could need a lot of convincing to split from Memphis, and Love would need to leave a team that reached the NBA Finals despite his shoulder injury.

Love could, and any of the other guys could reverse course. Though it appears unlikely now, the Celtics do have plenty of cap space, a core of young contributors, and an emerging drawing card in head coach Brad Stevens.

Other talented big men on the market include Paul Millsap, Brook Lopez and Greg Monroe. Draymond Green is a restricted free agent, but the Golden State Warriors are expected to match any offer he receives.

"We have to prove to people that we have the opportunities for them to be paid, to play, to reach their potential, and to win," team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said earlier this offseason. "And I think that Boston will be a good destination for some (free agents)."

As it stands now, the Celtics frontcourt isn't barren. Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk are both skilled and young; Tyler Zeller exceeded expectations last season at both ends; and Jae Crowder, if he returns as a restricted free agent, will spend some time at small-ball power forward. If rookie Jordan Mickey earns minutes, he will add a new dimension of length and athleticism.

Still, Ainge should want to upgrade scoring, athleticism and depth at the big positions, and has said he will look to address the frontcourt in free agency. Stevens has also indicated a desire to add "swings" -- his word for versatile forwards who can guard multiple positions.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man Empty Re: Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man

Post by wide clyde Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:53 pm

And this thought is why a center needed to be drafted a few days ago. A drafted center would certainly be young for this next year, but would have grown into a starting position. Using all four picks to get guards this year and still having all of the other picks in the years to come frustrated me when one part of the off season (the draft) did not produce even a hint of a center.

I am hoping that the idea of trades and/or free agency can bring a center to our team for next year. Bass, Sullenger nor Olynyk are the answers for next year at center any more than they were the answers last year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man Empty Re: Sources: Boston Celtics not optimistic about landing a star free-agent big man

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:47 pm

ditto still can't believe he didn't take a gamble on Upshaw at #45, Danny you had nothing to lose, another PG was a crappy wasted pick.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:ditto still can't believe he didn't take a gamble on Upshaw at #45, Danny you had nothing to lose, another PG was a crappy wasted pick.

NOBODY took a chance on Upshaw. NOBODY.

And Danny and Brad worked him out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Not a word about Robin Lopez, who is an unrestricted free agent with Portland.  I realize he may not be on an "elite" center list, but his defensive prowess could make him more valuable to the Celtics than to some other teams, including the Blazers who may be focused primarily on replacing Aldridge.  And I'm just not seeing Sully, Olynyk or Zeller having serious potential to make the Celtics serious contenders from the center position.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm

sam wrote:Not a word about Robin Lopez, who is an unrestricted free agent with Portland.  I realize he may not be on an "elite" center list, but his defensive prowess could make him more valuable to the Celtics than to some other teams, including the Blazers who may be focused primarily on replacing Aldridge.  And I'm just not seeing Sully, Olynyk or Zeller having serious potential to make the Celtics serious contenders from the center position.

Sam

Sam,

I see Robin Lopez as a poor man's Noah, and that's fine with me.

As far as the 3 musketeers you mentioned I'll remind you that the World Champion Golden State Warriors barely used their 7' center Andrew Bogut, going heavily with 6'8" Draymond Green, alligor-armed David Lee and raw "Uncle" Festus Ezeli at center.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:39 pm

bobheckler wrote:
sam wrote:Not a word about Robin Lopez, who is an unrestricted free agent with Portland.  I realize he may not be on an "elite" center list, but his defensive prowess could make him more valuable to the Celtics than to some other teams, including the Blazers who may be focused primarily on replacing Aldridge.  And I'm just not seeing Sully, Olynyk or Zeller having serious potential to make the Celtics serious contenders from the center position.

Sam

Sam,

I see Robin Lopez as a poor man's Noah, and that's fine with me.

As far as the 3 musketeers you mentioned I'll remind you that the World Champion Golden State Warriors barely used their 7' center Andrew Bogut, going heavily with 6'8" Draymond Green, alligor-armed David Lee and raw "Uncle" Festus Ezeli at center.

bob

the Warriors decided to make the Cavs bigs play defense in space and exploit that, plus the Cavs don't use either of their bigs as a 2nd or 3rd option on offense, while good players, neither creates his own shot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:43 pm

I would welcome Lopez, he can defend good enough to not be a liability as the 3 mentioned liabilities that are painful to watch try defending.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:ditto still can't believe he didn't take a gamble on Upshaw at #45, Danny you had nothing to lose, another PG was a crappy wasted pick.

NOBODY took a chance on Upshaw.  NOBODY.

And Danny and Brad worked him out.

bob

must have some serious skeletons in his closet, however if he makes the Lakers roster and improves to the point of being a rotational player or beyond, I'm sure his defense will be head and shoulders better than what we have RIGHT NOW on our roster manning the 5.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Bob, I know and was impressed with that fact.  However, Bogut didn't play 24 mpg and contribute 8 rpg during the regular season as well as 23 mpg and 8 rpg in the playoffs by sitting on the bench.  Which was the exception to the rule?  His non-use during the finals (in a brilliant recognition of a special situation by Kerr) or his regular use during the season and the major portion of the playoffs?

When I speak of my concerns about the long-term contending impact of Zeller, Sully and Kelly as centers, I'm talking about night-after-night impact, not unique situations that might represent occasional exceptions to the rule.  I believe each of them has sufficient center "warts" to brand him as a backup center, at the very best, for a team striving to become a contender.

Glad to get your qualified endorsement of Robin Lopez.  I was concerned that I might be going overboard about his potential to be the defensive stud at center that the team obviously needs.

I realize he has been somewhat limited offensively, and I'm wondering whether the way the Celtics might use him could improve his 10 ppg output.  After all, he shoots 54% from the floor, which at least suggests that he's a selective shooter; he can hit his freebies (77%); and his soft hands and savvy lend themselves to low turnover rates.  And playing beside Aldrich probably hasn't done great things for his offensive opportunities in Portland.  Anyway, I'm looking at him primarily for his defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down