Terry Rozier Sets Pace: Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots

4 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier Sets Pace:  Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots Empty Terry Rozier Sets Pace: Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:45 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/07/terry_rozier_sets_pace

Terry Rozier sets pace
Speedy Celts rookie willing to take shots

Terry Rozier Sets Pace:  Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots 070615celtics2
Photo by: AP
ARM IN ARM: Celtics first-round pick Terry Rozier tries to defend against the Jazz’ Dante Exum during Utah Summer League action last night.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015
By:  Mark Murphy

SALT LAKE CITY — Mentality counts above all for Terry Rozier right now.

Like Marcus Smart last year, Rozier begins the Celtics summer league season with a confidence that probably belies his actual college numbers.

No matter, the 6-foot-1 rookie says.

“There were games where I scored like the last 17 points, and games where I missed the last 17 shots,” Rozier said of his senior season at Louisville, when he was forced into a shooting guard role and watched his numbers suffer.

Bad numbers didn’t keep Smart from shooting last season, either. He remained one of the Celtics’ most willing fourth-quarter options throughout the season. He hit game-winners.

So Smart understands the proving ground Rozier has come from. As the leader on this summer league team, which began with a game against Utah last night, he’s had a chance to form an early impression of the 16th overall pick in the June 25 draft.

“I can definitely understand where he’s coming from,” Smart said. “Big-time players want those big-time moments. When you establish yourself as a big-time player, and here you’re trying to get people’s respect, you’re going to have that confidence on you.

“He’s a competitive guy, and that’s what coaches want. You may not be the fastest or the most athletic, but as long as you give it your all, that’s all you can ask for.”

Rozier, though, will be one of the fastest and most athletic this week in Utah, as well as the much larger competition that will follow next weekend in Las Vegas.

Though Rozier admits the speed of the NBA game has him recalibrating the concept of pace, beating everyone down the floor is not among his worries.

He smiled when asked about his speed. The 21-year-old always has been the fastest player on the floor.

“Have to admit, I’m pretty fast,” he said before scoring seven points in last night’s 100-82 loss to the Jazz. “Not trying to sound all cocky, but I’m pretty fast, and I’ve been like that since I was young. I’m fast with the ball and damn fast without the ball.”

He took a moment to survey his well-tattooed arms.

“I’m close to 200 pounds, and I just keep gaining this weight. But I’m still pretty fast.”

But scoring will be a familiar struggle. Rozier admittedly took a lot of bad shots, often late in the clock, because of the emphasis put on him to score at Louisville.

He didn’t stop shooting, and given an opening now, nothing is likely to change, save for a decrease in double teams.

“I’m not the person who’s going to say that, or put it on other people,” Rozier said when asked if he was forced to take a lot of bad shots. “But you would go into a press, and then it was all eyes on me.

“I wasn’t afraid to take the last shot. I was always in that position to take the bad shots because everyone was watching me. Late in the clock, all that. I was put in that position, I wanted that position. We didn’t get to the Final Four, and I didn’t see it out the way I wanted to. I’ll live with that. At the end of the day, I know I played my hardest because I played for the name on the front, not the back.”

And now he’s playing for Brad Stevens. Like most young players who have come under the Celtics coach’s wing the past two years, Rozier has fallen in love with the overall scheme.

“It’s a great system,” Rozier said. “All of their plays end up back in the point guard’s hands off of the pick-and-roll. It allows him to make plays for others. They’re all preaching defense, and if something is not perfect, we’re going to restart it. But that’s all right.

“I just feel that you can’t think too much. You have to just get out there. You listen, pay attention to what they want you to do, and then when you play, just don’t think too much. Have a go. Shut your man down and play team defense. The offense will take care of itself.”

So will the pace of the game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Sets Pace:  Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots Empty Re: Terry Rozier Sets Pace: Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots

Post by Sam Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:44 am

If his defense and shot selection can catch up with his speed, the Celtics could really have something.  But that could take a while and possibly some D League time.  I was disappointed yesterday that he didn't use his speed to get up under Exum on defense.  At times, it seemed as though he was using speed for "show" rather than toward some purposeful end.  Only the first Summer League game, and here's hoping for rapid improvement on all fronts.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Sets Pace:  Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots Empty Re: Terry Rozier Sets Pace: Speedy Celtic Rookie Willing To Take Shots

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:07 pm

thats what I saw too

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:52 am

Summer League scouting report

UTAH JAZZ 100, BOSTON CELTICS 82

TERRY ROZIER (29 min): 7 pts (3-8 FG, 1-3 3P, 0-2 FT), 5 reb, 2 ast (2 to), 2 stl

PROS

+ Defensive quickness: Tremendous on-ball defender with ability to recover from mistakes
+ Tempo: First instinct is to push the ball in transition and force the defense to react
+ Change of pace: Incredible hesitation move allows him to get into the paint with ease
+ Confidence: Appears comfortable with the ball and looking for his shot
+ Scoring ability: Aggressiveness combined with a nice floater should lead to offense
+ Decision-making: Sees the floor well and regularly makes the right pass
+ Shooting form: Ability to improve accuracy because of his technique

CONS

-- Halfcourt offense: Picks up his dribble too often and gives up the ball before orchestrating
-- Finishing at the rim: Has trouble getting his shot off in traffic because of his size
-- Shooting touch: Missed badly on several shots that led to long rebounds
-- Defensive lapses: Lost his man off the ball on multiple occasions
-- Free-throw shooting: Looked uncomfortable on both misses

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down