Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role?

2 posters

Go down

Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role? Empty Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role?

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:41 pm

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/12477-is-avery-bradley-destined-for-bench-role

Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role?
Written by  Alex Kungu

Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role? 73939f063bd1f80250888d5e0be37445_L
Boston Celtics guard Avery Bradley has been one of the positives early in his development, but is his skillset better used off the bench?

When Avery Bradley got drafted I didn't think twice about it. Doc Rivers never played his young guys, and Bradley was a pitbull on defense who couldn't look up and dribble at the same time. Could he develop a jump shot? Can he run an NBA offense? What's his ceiling?

Five years later, the results have been lukewarm. Avery Bradley has proven that he is a hard worker and after multiple shoulder surgeries transformed his jump shot from nonexistent to very respectable. Instead of playing timid on offense, he's ultra aggressive in looking for his shoot, and doesn't shy away from big moments. Last season he shot 35.2% from three on 1.6 attempts, making him the most efficient guard from beyond the arc. However,some major red flags have developed in Bradley's development.

At only 6-2, Bradley's inability to run an offense and create for others really hurts his ceiling. For his career, Bradley only averages 1.5apg, and seldom looks to do anything, but shoot when he gets the ball. Not only does Bradley struggle to create for others, but he struggles creating for himself as well. He led the league in attempts of off dribble-hand offs, and is reliant on a system to create offense for him. His lack of burst and dribbling ability make going to the rim a steep task, and good defenses bait him into taking long inefficient two's. None of this was more telling than the Celtics first round series against the Cavs in which Cleveland. The Cavs virtually schemed Avery Bradley out of games with their worst defender by forcing him into situations where he had to create on his own. Bradley responded with one of his worst stretches of the season shooting 38% from the field, and an eye-blistering 26.3% from three.

Even defensively Bradley has gotten away from his trademark defense that got him in the league. Last season he had a below average 102.5 defensive rating, and opponents shot better against him from everywhere on the floor except from three point range. He struggles to fight over screens in a pick and roll heavy league, and when he's against size opponents can still finish over him with relative ease even with his good position because they're just too big. With a -2.5 net rating, Bradley was a negative when on the court and quite frankly doesn't fit the mold of a Brad Stevens player who is versatile on both ends of the court. You could argue that at 24 years old Bradley still isn't in his prime and has potential to grow. But even then players don't just develop dribbling, court vision, and finishing ability in an offseason. As of now, Bradley seems better suited to play in a bench role besides Isaiah Thomas.

Though his skills can be inconsistent as a starter, playing in the second unit could bring the best out of him. Playing against second team defenses will allow him to be more confident on the offensive end which in turn could lead to smarter shots, and risen efficiency. Paired with Isaiah Thomas the two could form a perfect tandem in which both players strengths are the others weaknesses. When Avery Bradley signed his 4 year 32 million extension many people labeled it a gross overpay, but now his 8 million a year will be consistent with the salary a role player will command. If Bradley could take this new position in stride it could bring his game to a new level. However, in the past three years Bradley has only came off the bench twice in games that he's played. Will Stevens take off the extended leash now that he has more options in RJ Hunter and Terry Rozier?

Let's hear what you guys think, comment below on whether you believe Avery Bradley should be given a bench role or maintain his status as the starter.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role? Empty Re: Is Avery Bradley destined for bench role?

Post by hawksnestbeach Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:10 am

Yes, I can see Bradley coming off the bench. Trouble is, I can see every player on the roster as of 8-27, coming off the bench. This year's team is like a smorgasbord at a three-star restaurant: nothing wrong with any of the dishes, but nothing to die for. In a way, it's the opposite of the '86 Celtics, where every starter was crucial and obviously the best player for his position.
The only current Celtic I think of as indispensable is the coach and he'll earn his pay this year, deciding which combinations to play at stages of the game. With so many under-knowns, I expect a lot of experimentation and juggling. I wouldn't be surprised to see the starters in spring being quite different from those in November.
As for Bradley, Sam has noted the regression in his defense as he works to step up his offense. Seems to me, his greatest problem is his dribble. Without a rock solid handle, he's handicapped as a PG. He's undersized as a shooting guard, but is a decent all around smallish guard (so please, some other team, take advantage of this opportunity!). Natural ability aside, Bradley is a worker, and I'm hoping he exceeds my expectations. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down