As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is

+4
bigpygme
cowens/oldschool
swedeinestonia
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is Empty As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Michael Finley and Larry Hughes. This is based upon every report/twitter/blog I've been able to find.

Michael Finley is a shooter off the bench, but he isn't the Finley of old. I'm afraid age has caught him. His production is off in virtually every category/36 minutes per basketball-reference.com. Per 82games.com, Finley shoots 41% in the clutch (vs 44% career), 47% from 3 (vs 37% career) 77% ft% (vs 81% career), 6.4 rebounds (vs 4.4 career). Let's keep in mind the clutch stats are per 48 minutes of clutch time and are for his career, NOT what he's like this season. If he's lost it THIS season, then the clutch numbers are going to be inflated. If they're still reasonable, however, it shows a player that hits clutch 3s at a much higher rate than normal and is steady in every category. He even shows clear improvement in rebounds in the clutch. That is the profile of a veteran I'd be interested in seeing in green (short-term rental only).

Larry Hughes is very athletic 2 guard (6'5", just turned 31) who can defend when he puts his mind to it but settles for too many jump shots and he's not a great jumpshooter. He does shoot 82% from the line though. Despite being in his 12th season, I cannot find clutch stats for Larry Hughes on 82games.com. What does that say? For what it's worth, Hollinger gives him a PER of 18.4 as a SG and the players he plays against at SG a 16.8. This means that Hughes outplays his man at that position. As someone who watched Larry Hughes play for GSW when he was younger, I always hated his shooting and his overall judgment. Not, what I would call, a smart player. I wouldn't even consider him a suitable replacement for Tony Allen.

Unfortunately, Tony Battie DID NOT get released by NJ. I'd like to see some length added to our roster, but I see no suitable candidates.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is Empty Re: As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Finley should be OK with defense since he played for the spurs right?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is Empty Re: As of 3/3 our top free agent focus is

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:26 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Finley should be OK with defense since he played for the spurs right?

swede,

I would hope so but, once again, age age age.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

True that.

Matter of cost I guess. If it is cheap I would say go for it.

I guess 2 might not be our biggest problem though? What we got for "range", Ray and Robinson? Might be nice to add a guy who can just spot up for a corner 3?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:44 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:True that.

Matter of cost I guess. If it is cheap I would say go for it.

I guess 2 might not be our biggest problem though? What we got for "range", Ray and Robinson? Might be nice to add a guy who can just spot up for a corner 3?

swede,

I agree. We need some effective bombers. Of course, nobody can have too many effective bombers, so there aren't going to be too many coming off the waiver wire.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Why did the Spurs keep Finley out of the rotation/waive might be the question one should answer.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 am

I don't want either of these guys,its a shame we couldn't do that Nate trade and give up Scal or kept Hudson so we could give him up on this deal.....Knicks are real excited about Bill Walker

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 pm

maybe Walker will find a home and playing time with another team that his play didn't warrant here. i wish him luck.

i think Swede's question about what was going on with Finley this year in S.A. is a good one. why so much pine time if he still has game? i like his game, or at least i have in the past, but S.A. is not a team to forego using a player who can still produce ... so it leaves a Q in my mind. and the answer might be age age age, as bobh says.

can he still fire the corner three? another aging star on our team ??? we need that?

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 pm

byg pyg

Experience counts in the playoffs. Look at the Cavs last year...dominant until it counted and guys like Mo Williams shat the bed.

I think all this age shit is going to be proven wrong with the right mix of minutes on a healthy team. EVERYBODY IS HEALTHY...no flu, locust or knee pads that disallow movement. No string warts, stds or strained quads...hell I can hardly believe it.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm

jeb65 wrote:byg pyg

Experience counts in the playoffs. Look at the Cavs last year...dominant until it counted and guys like Mo Williams shat the bed.

I think all this age shit is going to be proven wrong with the right mix of minutes on a healthy team. EVERYBODY IS HEALTHY...no flu, locust or knee pads that disallow movement. No string warts, stds or strained quads...hell I can hardly believe it.

i agree - experience helps ! yes, we could definitely use more offense, but i am nonetheless concerned about Finley's lack of efficient production so far this year. Globe said "This is not the Finley from his vintage days or even a few years ago. He scored five points in 78 minutes in February on 2-for-16 shooting, losing his minutes to Keith Bogans and George Hill." Keith Bogans?? these are not what i'd think of as good signs ...
but if he can still hit em, he might help the 2nd unit with spacing, and that spacing perhaps would encourage Sheed to even more low post play ...

it is GREAT that we are finally all together and pretty healthy. last night's broadcast said it was our first time all season ! i thought we did that just a little while ago, but i guess i was wrong. anyway, all pretty healthy and all together now ! sky's the limit !!!!!

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

bygpyg

If he is a steady guy and works hard in practice ...shows good habits that's all we need out of him but I bet we'll get more, a timely 3 in the playoffs...a couple a free throws. We got everything we need to win. Just need grit and health.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Jeb , big

realistically we would only count perhaps on 10 or so minutes a game, so age in that respect should not be a big issue.

but is has been a few years since he has put up steady scarey numbers,

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:25 pm

I think Finley will be a nice, no-risk pickup for you guys.

HE fills a need with his shooting range, as he's always been able to hit the three (and has hit a lot of clutch 3s in the playoffs over the years). And neither Daniels nor T Allen has much shooting range, so Finley can definitely play a role where he's spacing the floor for 10 min a night, and that's 10 min less that Pierce or Allen has to play.

And it's not like there's any downside, given that he's an experienced, high-character vet who's been in the no-nonsense Spurs culture for years. He'll fit in well in Boston.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

babyskyhook wrote:I think Finley will be a nice, no-risk pickup for you guys.

HE fills a need with his shooting range, as he's always been able to hit the three (and has hit a lot of clutch 3s in the playoffs over the years). And neither Daniels nor T Allen has much shooting range, so Finley can definitely play a role where he's spacing the floor for 10 min a night, and that's 10 min less that Pierce or Allen has to play.

And it's not like there's any downside, given that he's an experienced, high-character vet who's been in the no-nonsense Spurs culture for years. He'll fit in well in Boston.

babyskyhook,

I agree. Low-risk, fits a need.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:57 am

agreed, and agreee also with beat's point that if he's only asked to chip in 10 minutes (or so) per game, age isn't going to emerge as an issue - as long as he can move his feet on D.
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 am

Speaking of free agents, what are the Jazz thinking picking up Mikki Moore? Razz
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 am

swedeinestonia wrote:Speaking of free agents, what are the Jazz thinking picking up Mikki Moore? Razz

swede,

I'm thinking Jerry Sloan's gone soft in the head.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 pm

I'd rather get a guy of his vintage than a younger guy. First of all, young studs aren't going to be readily available through waivers. But more important to me is that a veteran will be able to pick up the Celtics system more readily than a young guy would. And, either way, we'd only be renting him for a short period anyway.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down