Celtics don't mind Thomas getting creative

Go down

Celtics don't mind Thomas getting creative Empty Celtics don't mind Thomas getting creative

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720652/celtics-dont-mind-thomas-getting-creative

Celtics don't mind Thomas getting creative
17h

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13793265

Chris Forsberg, ESPN Staff Writer

WALTHAM, Mass. -- What does Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens think of the new one-footed shots that Isaiah Thomas is integrating into his offensive arsenal?

"Shoot it," said Stevens. "It's great. Hey, creative players have to make creative plays. If you’re 5-9 or 5-10, and if you’re the kinda scorer that he is, if you’re going to draw a ton of attention like he does, traditional is not going to work. So just because somebody says it’s untraditional or just because somebody deems it to be unsolid or whatever the case may be, the great players have those plays in their game.

"And if you wanna be great, you better keep being creative," Stevens added.

Thomas, who said he studied film of Steve Nash in the offseason, spends time before each practice working on one-footed shots from various spots on the court. He's expressed a desire to find new ways to score, particularly when defenses target him like the Cleveland Cavaliers did during Boston's brief stint in the 2015-16 playoffs.

Stevens has raved about Thomas both as a scorer and playmaker this preseason. Thomas is averaging 15.8 points on 50 percent shooting from the field and 5.3 assists per game.

"You look at just his stats -- he hasn’t played quite 100 minutes and he’s shooting great from the field; he’s making a lot of the right plays; he is moving the ball; teams are starting to guard him different ways, which is good for him to see," Stevens said. "I feel really comfortable with how he’s playing heading into the regular season."

Before Saturday's practice, Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck stopped mid-conversation to marvel at Thomas working on his one-footed shots. Grousbeck raved about what Thomas has brought to the team and said both Stevens and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge had told him the team would be "notably better" by adding him at February's trade deadline. The Celtics went 24-12 to close out the regular season and surged to the No. 7 seed in the East.

What exactly did Stevens expect from Thomas?

"First of all, I thought he’d really impact our team," Stevens said. "I thought his ability to get into the paint would be like a shot in the arm for our team. From an efficiency standpoint, on the offensive end of the floor, both at the end of last year and through the first four preseason games, he’s just playing at such a high level; he’s such a good fit. I think that I thought he’d have a huge impact, but I think he’s probably --- and my expectations were high -- but I think he’s probably been at the top of those at least."

INJURY REPORT: David Lee (illness) sits out

David Lee was the only player absent from practice Sunday, as the team said he was sitting out with an illness Boston can't seem to get out of its locker room.

Lee was under the weather during the team's trip to Europe but played in both games overseas. Some of his teammates haven't been as fortunate. Amir Johnson missed a game in Madrid with illness, while Marcus Smart missed two games in New York this week while battling strep throat.

Stevens said he believes at least half of the team's 20 players in camp have battled illness at some point or another during camp.

One other health note: Jae Crowder, who did not play in the second half of Friday's loss in New York, was sporting tape over his right wrist and thumb as the Celtics stretched before Sunday's practice.

bob
MY NOTE: Game today, @ 7:30 EDT. Home vs Brooklyn.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down