swish
tjmakz
rambone
BaronV
10 posters

Go down

Lakers waive Upshaw Empty Lakers waive Upshaw

Post by BaronV Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Guess he wasn't worth the pick after all. He was cut before the corpse of Ron Artest.

-V

http://www.ocregister.com/lakers/frazier-688334-upshaw-lakers.html

The Lakers waived center Robert Upshaw and point guard Michael Frazier on Tuesday, lowering the number of players on the roster to 17.

They will still need to cut two more players before the start of the regular season on Oct. 28.

An undrafted center out of Washington, Upshaw was one of the intriguing figures in Lakers training camp. A raw, 7-foot shot blocker, he averaged 2.5 points, 3 rebounds and .75 blocks in four games.

Off-the-court issues plagued Upshaw, however. He was kicked off teams at both the University of Washington and Fresno State for undisclosed team violations. With the Lakers, he was among three players battling for backup center minutes.

Some wondered if the Lakers would part ways with fourth-year center Robert Sacre in favor of Upshaw's upside. On Monday, coach Byron Scott said the Lakers would "absolutely" keep the 15 players who make them the most competitive now.

Undrafted out of Florida, Frazier averaged 2 points, 2.3 rebounds and .8 assists in four games.

The Lakers could still sign the players to their Development League team, the D-Fenders. However, that would not preclude another NBA team from signing them later on.

Final roster cuts will likely come down to who among Metta World Peace, Jabari Brown and Jonathan Holmes makes the team. Holmes suffered a separated shoulder on Monday against the Portland Trail Blazers and is expected to be out for at least a couple of weeks.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Lakers waive Upshaw Empty Re: Lakers waive Upshaw

Post by rambone Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

intangibles are underrated.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm surprised the Lakers didn't give him a full year but I am assuming they saw enough in all of the practices and the preseason that they felt he wasn't worthy of a roster spot.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 pm

For the most part, it simply means that coaches and general managers are more knowledgeable about players than most fans that fancy themselves as draft Guru's.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm

not a surprise.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm

I wonder if this is basketball related or was he late a few times too many?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I wonder if this is basketball related or was he late a few times too many?

Cow,

Does it really matter which?   You could be the greatest whatever on earth, if you don't show up for work you'll get fired.   Remember Vin Baker?

I feel bad for the kid, I really do.  He's obviously battling something.   He said himself,  when he got the invite to Lakers camp, that this was his last chance.

I think he has the basketball talent, certainly more than the immortal Bob Sacre, but the NBA is SO Darwinian there is little room for error in any area.  Hank Finkel and Greg Kite weren't particularly talented (especially Kite!) but they worked hard, were good teammates and let their physical gifts secure them roster spots.

I didn't understand why Danny and Brad didn't take a flyer on him with #45 either,  I just had more faith in Danny than you.  Even if Danny is a fool, which it appears he is not, Brad sure as Hell isn't and he's the one who ran the workouts.

Good Luck Robert Upshaw. Keep at it, hook up with an international club, and try again in a year or two.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 pm

I guess that it is human nature for fans to try to out think the PROFESSIONALS. Sort of an attempt to prove that we amateurs are perhaps equally qualified at evaluating talent.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:24 pm

bob I am a student of life and the game.

In limited observation on the floor, my eyes tell me he can defend better than Zeller or Olynck or Sully on their best day, saw him swat Okafor in SL and it was a decent glimpse.

I think this kid has serious problems and the real story may never come out or could months or a few years later....there are alot of people with chemical imbalances that can never get it together or be counted on. Life obviously isn't fair and goes on.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:03 am

What you say Cowens, was/is al the more reason to know he was most likely never going to play in the NBA.

IF (and for me it's a big if) he is one of the best defensive big men to come out of college in the past few years and YET every NBA GM passed on him (even in the second round where money is not guaranteed) then it told me there were very serious flaws in the man personally.

of course those watching/reading already knew that he had been kicked off not one, but TWO college teams (and told to leave). One school is a red flag...two is a bomb blowing up in a GM's face.

maybe he'll go down to the D-league (if given a chance) and just play ball. if he does and keeps himself on the straight and narrow, some team will give him a shot later. he is a seven footer with some level of skills, after all.

I don't know what his problems are and read many articles on him trying to get an answer before this past draft. But it's NOT that he smoke a little weed now and then folks.

I hope if he does (big IF) get himself straightened out , that Danny gives him a shot and you are right Cowens about his skill level. then I think we'll all be pretty happy.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:13 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob I am a student of life and the game.

In limited observation on the floor, my eyes tell me he can defend better than Zeller or Olynck or Sully on their best day, saw him swat Okafor in SL and it was a decent glimpse.

I think this kid has serious problems and the real story may never come out or could months or a few years later....there are alot of people with chemical imbalances that can never get it together or be counted on. Life obviously isn't fair and goes on.

cow,

I agree on every point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:11 pm

UPDATE:

http://www.lakersnation.com/byron-scott-explains-lakers-decision-to-cut-robert-upshaw/2015/10/20/

Byron Scott Explains Lakers Decision To Cut Robert Upshaw

Posted by: Serena Winters Posted date: October 20, 2015 In: News |

The Los Angeles Lakers announced two roster cuts on Tuesday morning, waiving center Robert Upshaw and guard Michael Frazier II, bringing their roster to 17 players. Head coach Byron Scott said that both decisions were based on experience. Specifically with Robert Upshaw, though the Lakers saw “flashes” of what he could do, ultimately, there was a “big time learning curve on both ends of the floor.”

If things fall in the Lakers favor, the hope is for both Upshaw and Frazier II to clear waivers and for the Lakers to sign both to their D-League team, the Los Angeles D-Fenders. Scott specifically mentioned that they’d like to keep their eyes on Upshaw, should he find himself on the D-Fenders.

Regarding Upshaw’s off-the-court issues that had him dismissed from two college programs, Scott suggested they will likely be a concern for several NBA teams, until Upshaw proves otherwise.

— What will Kobe Bryant make this season? Find out here! —

“He’s going to have that stigma with him for awhile, until he can kind of erase it, and that’s probably going to be one of his biggest problems to deal with,” Scott said, while also mentioning that team camaraderie factored into the Lakers decision.

Upshaw told LakersNation.com during their first week of training camp that he was extremely confident that he would make the final roster, after sizing himself up against the competition in practices. On Tuesday, Scott admitted that Upshaw’s upside is “big time,” but also said experience and creating a balanced roster outweighed his unknown potential.

After shedding about 25 pounds from the end of Summer League to the start of training camp, Scott said Upshaw’s transformation over the past couple months clearly shows his “desire to play,” but the Lakers did what was in the best interest of their team.

Both Jabari Brown and Metta World Peace will be battling for a roster spot this week. The Lakers also have an interesting case with Jonathan Holmes, who dislocated his shoulder in the Lakers win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday, and are responsible for his salary while he’s injured. With the NBA regular season roster maximum set at 15, expect a couple more cuts to follow for the Lakers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:32 pm

I would still like the Cs to look further into this guy.  How about sign him for a couple of days and then waive him and send him to Portland just like the Lakers hope to have him slip through waivers and go to their D league team in LA.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 am

Lakers are smart. Low risk D league assignment keeps the door open for Upshaw to play this year. One of the LA bigs will probably miss some games and Upshaw will be called up.

Wide Clyde, the ship has already sailed and it left port without the rim protector that we need. If Boston can get a rim protector I think their defensive rating will be top 5.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 pm

dboss,

There is no such thing as a call up from the dleague. A player is either on the team's 15 man roster or he ain't.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 pm

gyso

I assumed he would be signed to a d league contract and then if LAL wanted to they could bring him on board provided there was a roster spot available.

I think his best bet may be to play overseas for a few years and establish himself.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down