Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center Empty Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-102215-zeller-makes-case-remain-cs-starting-center

Zeller Makes Case to Remain C's Starting Center

Posted: Oct 23, 2015

Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center 151022zeller

By Taylor C. Snow |  @Celtics
Celtics.com
October 23, 2015

BOSTON – Tyler Zeller started 59 games at center for the Celtics last year, including Boston’s final 35 regular season and playoff contests.

But the starting job was his to lose entering the 2015-16 season, considering the additions of veteran big men Amir Johnson and David Lee.

The starting rotation is still not set in stone, but Zeller certainly made his case to remain the starter Thursday night, when he more than held his own against a very physical New York Knicks frontcourt.

The 7-footer banged bodies with bruisers Robin Lopez and Kyle O’Quinn in the post, and also made his first four shot attempts of the night, sparking the C’s to an early lead and an eventual 99-85 win.

Zeller finished the night with 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting, and showed off the wide variety of ways that he can score the rock.

“Tyler’s got an array of shots from a scoring standpoint and has really made those shots at a high rate for the better part of the last nine months,” Stevens said after the game. “A lot of his shots don’t have any physicality required because he gets the shot off before any contact. He’s got a nice little runner, a nice little floater for a guy his size, and he works hard at developing those shots.”

Zeller's defense also stood out Thursday night, as he successfully boxed out Lopez, New York's 7-foot center, on multiple occasions.

“I thought he did a good job on defense on Lopez, a guy who really hurt us the first time we played, as far as just from a physical standpoint,” said Stevens.

When New York beat Boston Friday night at Madison Square Garden, Lopez’s physical presence played a big role. He was only on the floor for 14 minutes, but he fought his way for seven boards during that short timespan.

This time around, Lopez was limited to just one rebound during 22 minutes of court time. Zeller, meanwhile, grabbed five boards during 20 minutes of action while playing a large role in restraining Lopez.

Another guy on the C’s who is great at keeping opposing bigs at check in the paint is Johnson, who many believed could be a candidate to snag Boston’s starting center role. However, numerous NBA pundits now believe the gritty rim protector may function best by coming off the bench as a pick-and-roll mate for Isaiah Thomas.

Meanwhile, Zeller has struck up nice chemistry with fellow big man, Lee, who started next to him at the 4 Thursday night.

“I think we complement each other well,” Zeller said of his on-court relationship with Lee. “He does a great job looking high-low and making the right play. He does a great job in the pick-and-roll and I like to be able to work off the baseline on the backside of that.”

Overall, Thursday’s starting unit of Zeller, Lee, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart, seemed to thrive. Zeller believes that’s “because we move the ball so quick. It’s tough to guard if you can get the ball from one side to the other and the defense is still coming across and you can attack. I think that it says a lot about how unselfish we are and how much we can play together.”

Although Stevens hasn’t voiced any rotational decisions, it’s clear that he likes what he sees from that starting group.

“If we decide to start that first unit like today, that unit’s got a nice chemistry,” said Stevens. “David kind of handles passes and directs, and Tyler does what Tyler does, and the guards are great cutters, and when David has the ball there’s a lot of cutting, a lot of movement. And they all have skills so that’s a nice combination.”

Zeller displayed a wide variety of skills Thursday night against a physically gifted frontcourt.

We’ll just have to wait and see if he’s made enough of a case to take the season-opening tip Wednesday night, when the C’s kick off their campaign against the Philadelphia 76ers at TD Garden.

bob
MY NOTE:  I wasn't very impressed with Zeller for most of the pre-season, and I only saw the first half last night, but if the first half of last night is what we can expect from Tyler Zeller this year, I have no problem with him being the starter whatsoever (until Danny pulls the trigger and gets us Cousins or one of the other usual suspects).  He dominated Lopez in the first half last night.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center Empty Re: Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center

Post by dboss Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Zeller is not a very good center but he is our only center. I cannot think of any reason not to start him.

Agree he has not been all that effective during the exhibition season. I think that several of the players on this team are still trying to see where they fit in given all the depth.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center Empty Re: Zeller Makes Case to Remain Celtics' Starting Center

Post by bobc33 Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm hoping that all of the Celtics (especially IT) don't care a whit about starting or minutes played, just making as much of a contribution to winning as they can. Of course human nation being what it is this is tough to expect this, though Brad seems to be getting them to buy into this.

Just what is a "whit" anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:39 pm

I think it's the.......BEARD!

makes him look tougher...grrrrr!!!

don't mess with the Z-man

or something.

plays hard , always and does everything he can. As long as Brad keeps his minutes around 20 per game, he'll hold his own against most other centers.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 pm

kdp59 wrote:

don't mess with the Z-man

Tom Zenk? Ewwwwww
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:58 am

Certainly, some good points made about Zeller who has pretty quietly become a good center on our team. Part of his successes in Boston have been due to his hard work, no complaining style of play and style as a teammate. If nothing else, this guy fits in well with the team that he is on.

Another factor to look at is his success in Boston is that he has yet to be asked to shoulder the load of what most teams expect their starting 7 foot centers to handle. Part of this is the timing at which he got to Boston in the early stages of the rebuild seasons after Pierce and part is how Stevens handles situations like this so well.

Even though Zeller has scored 20+ a few times last season, he is never asked to do such things on a nightly basis. Not too many plays are called for him. He can get you 10 boards on some nights, but is never expected to get 12-14. As a result, he is confident, competent and competitive in his role on the team. Again, credits to Stevens and his team of coaches on yet another little aspect that makes a team better.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down