Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes

4 posters

Go down

Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes Empty Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:24 am

Sorry for those hoping for an article by someone of importance, this is simply some thoughts I have about one possible big move in the coming off-season. Spurred on some by the Cousins thread here.

Durant and Horford are considered to be the top UFA's in the next class ( note that Howard from Houston can opt out also),

While both players may end up staying with their current teams , Atlanta has the cap space to absorb the $26M Max deal for Horford and still be under the projected $89M cap.

OKC on the other hand gave Katner ( a RFA this year) a max deal, which puts them in a bit of a problem. IF they do re-sign Durant, they will be at over $95M and over the cap without any other additions. They also will have Westbrook's max deal up the following year. This is why I feel the signing of Katner this year, meant that OKC will NOT re-sign Durant and he will be with a new team next season ( or possibly before).

Everyone knows DE is Durant's hometown, so the Wizards could be considered the top choice. The wIzards DO have the cap space next year to bring in the $26M that Durants will cost. They have about $53M in salarys now, BUT that is only for EIGHT players. B. Beal will be a RFA also and keeping him will likely cost top dollar as well ( maybe in the $12M range or more). Both of those signings take The Wizards over the cap about $91M with 10 players only. More importantly I feel will be how the Wizards do come playoff time this year. IF they can't get to at least the eastern finals, will they be the place that Durants will want to play with a limited amount of future help coming due to cap issues?

Boston on the other hand have $51M in salarys next year and 11 players under contract. add in up to three first round picks and we can still add Durants' salary and still be as much as $8M under the cap still. Enough room to re-sign at least Zeller if desired (though that would mean 16 guaranteed deals).

IF Boston outplays Washington this year and continues to be considered an "up and coming team" with one of the best young coaches in the NBA....could we become a real contender for Durant?

I think so.

and if so the debate can start about is Durant the player needed to move the Celtics into an elite team again?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes Empty Re: Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes

Post by bobc33 Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:42 am

Seems like lots of potential good things are possible, starting with a shot at Durant and the Nets picks the next three years.

I agree having Brad makes us a somewhat more likely destination, though having the cap space so we can show them the money is key!

Back to top Go down

Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes Empty Re: Why Boston will be a real player in the Durant FA sweepstakes

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Not sure if I would be a buyer of Durant now. Seems as the injury bug is starting to take hold of him. Last year our a long duration and now 7-10 days with another leg ailment.

Buyer beware.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 pm

it does look that way, but he is only 27 now and will be the top UFA
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:09 am

There is no question that Durant would not only look good in a GREEN uniform, but I think that he would fit in especially well with the Cs type of offense and also their team mentality.

What an addition this guy would be as he fills one of the team's two most important needs-a scorer who plays the small forward position!!!

However, his injury situation is becoming something that may toss a shadow on his potential next contract. A max contract of $26 M is a lot of money for a guy who may only be in the beginning of various leg injuries that may cut his career shorter than originally expected. Seems (no, not a doctor and don't have specific examples either) that lots of tall guys have a difficult time shaking the "leg injury" situation/stigma.

If he is able to play well for the last half of the season on a daily basis, he would certainly be the first guy I would call the second that free agent calls can be dialed next summer. Boston has a lot of good things going on and I would think that he knows it.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down