why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season.

4 posters

Go down

why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season. Empty why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season.

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:28 pm

this assume we do NOT win the title this season...if we do irving stays and Danny will try to keep the team together as much as possible.

1) Irving opts out. this is a given right now as he is looking for a new max deal. Danny will need to decide if this is the best option or if there is another way to go.

2) Horford opts out of his final year, with Danny agreeing to give him anew 3 year deal at $30M per year. The signing will become official later in the off-season (this happens all the time in the NBA for cap purposes).

at this point the Celtics at $34M UNDER the $109 M cap for next season (including all our cap holds)

see here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

We were Durants second choice last time behind GS.

so
3) Durant signs a mas deal with the Celtics with the cap space Danny cleared.

4) the Horford signing become official

5) Rozier signs a new deal similar to Smarts $11M deal.

6) Wannamker signs a vet minimum deal in the $2.5M range

7) Morris, Theis and Gibson are renounced

that gives us 12 players under contract and a total salary of around $128M, $4M BELOW the projected $132M tax line

we have three draft picks to fill out the roster (they will have been drafted before any of this of course).

my picks would be

C- D. Gafford
C/PF- C. Bassey
G- T. Jerome

the three rookies salary slots would be a total of about $6M putting us over the tax line by around $2-4M

starters: (with my projected minutes)

Horford- 2000
Durant-2400
Tatum-2400
Brown-2400
Smart-2400

rotaional players:
Hayward-2400
Rozier- 1800
Baynes-1200
Semi-1000

Deep bench:

Rob Williams- 600
Yabusele- 300
Wannamker-300
Gafford- 300
Jerome-100
Bassey-100

unlike Davis, Durant would WANT to play here AND we don't need to trade any young assets for him. the Biggest question would be will Durant want to come here without Irving here?

IF he would be interested I for one would be all in for replacing Irving with Durant

Just something to think about if we don;t go all the way in the playoffs?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season. Empty Re: why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season.

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm

well I think i forgot that old cap hold for Horford........well dammit!

never mind!

Embarassed
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season. Empty Re: why I think Durant is a real option instead of A. Davis next season.

Post by dboss Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:26 pm

kdp59 wrote:this assume we do NOT win the title this season...if we do irving stays and Danny will try to keep the team together as much as possible.

1) Irving opts out. this is a given right now as he is looking for a new max deal. Danny will need to decide if this is the best option or if there is another way to go.

2) Horford opts out of his final year, with Danny agreeing  to give him anew 3 year deal at $30M  per year. The signing will become official later in the off-season (this happens all the time in the NBA for cap purposes).

at this point the Celtics at $34M UNDER  the $109 M cap for next season (including all our cap holds)

see here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

We were Durants second choice last time behind GS.

so
3) Durant signs a mas deal with the Celtics with the cap space Danny cleared.

4) the Horford signing become official

5) Rozier signs a new deal similar to Smarts $11M deal.

6) Wannamker signs a vet minimum deal in the $2.5M range

7) Morris, Theis and Gibson are renounced

that gives us 12 players under contract and a total salary of around $128M, $4M BELOW the projected $132M tax line

we have three draft picks to fill out the roster (they will have been drafted before any of this  of course).

my picks would be

C- D. Gafford
C/PF- C. Bassey
G- T. Jerome

the three rookies salary slots would be a total of about $6M putting us over the tax line by  around $2-4M

starters: (with my projected minutes)

Horford- 2000
Durant-2400
Tatum-2400
Brown-2400
Smart-2400

rotaional players:
Hayward-2400
Rozier- 1800
Baynes-1200
Semi-1000

Deep bench:

Rob Williams- 600
Yabusele- 300
Wannamker-300
Gafford- 300
Jerome-100
Bassey-100

unlike Davis, Durant would WANT to play here AND we don't need to trade any young assets for him. the Biggest question would be will Durant want to come here without Irving here?

IF he would be interested I for one would be all in for replacing Irving with Durant

Just something to think about if we don;t go all the way in the playoffs?

kdp59

I can see that you put a lot of work into this but I think it is pretty far fetched.

It would require a perfect storm.

The main thing is that Durant would have to want to leave GS or GS would have to not want to resign him. Why would either party want to do that? As long as GSW is willing to pay a hefty luxury tax they are favored to keep him. Durant is on a contender and has 2 rings back to back to prove it. He has perhaps 2 of the best pair of shooters ever assembled on a team. He is 30 years old and is not likely to gamble with his legacy. Almost taking someone to the prom is not reason enough to suspect it will happen the next time.

Teams win championship with elite talent. Your scenario has Irving going elsewhere and Durant getting what his salary would have been. Now you are back to 1 elite player. Your solution for replacing Kyrie is to give Terry a Smart level contract. Even if he accepted that, Terry Rozier is not a top PG in this league.

You have Boston resigning AH and throwing $30 million for 3 years. AH has been declining physically for years. They are not going to add another $60 million for 2 additional years.

Danny Ainge is looking to pair elite players together. He wants to resign Kyrie and add another superstar to the mix. I see little opportunity for him to add Durant. That train left the station on a one-way ticket 3 years ago.

I also think Danny would take AD over Durant because AD is an elite F/C and we do not have anything close to that on this roster and a replacement is needed going forward.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Maybe Kyrie re-signs, we trade for AD, and KD signs at the mid-level ...

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 pm

oh, that sounds good, ha ha.

The thing is, everyone can surmise all they want, come up with trades, signings, et al. However, who really knows what rolls around in the head of Danny, and what the owners want. Wyc is not a complete hands off owner. He was very disappointed in what happened with the team this year, and will not sit still. He will encourage Danny to do what he thinks is best for the team, because....that is always been Danny's thinking. He never would have gotten rid of IT and Bradley if he thought the team would be good with them, And it looks like he was right on both counts.

No one ever saw this storm brewing with this team this year. We should have know right from the beginning that there was trouble..

BUT, WHO KNOWS, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE DANNY AINGE!!!(just be thankful Magic was not our GM)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm

please read my second post

I failed to remember that to re-sign Horford, we would have to keep his cap hold.

that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to clear enough room to sign Durant.

we'd have to renounce BOTH Irving and Horford to make it work.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:02 pm

kdp59 wrote:please read my second post

I failed to remember that to re-sign Horford, we would have to keep his cap hold.

that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to clear enough room to sign Durant.

we'd have to renounce BOTH Irving and Horford to make it work.

I guess I should have read your second post first.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:04 pm

yeah..I had a brain fart there...guess I got all excited over nothing again!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down