Rozier and Mickey On Fire In Maine

4 posters

Go down

Rozier and Mickey On Fire In Maine Empty Rozier and Mickey On Fire In Maine

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 am

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

Celtics rookie Terry Rozier registered 27 points, eight rebounds, six assists, two steals, and a block while leading the Maine Red Claws to a 106-99 win over the Canton Charge in his D-League debut on Saturday night. Fellow Celtics rookie Jordan Mickey put up 19 points, 12 rebounds, and seven blocks, while second-year swingman James Young chipped in 14 points on 5-of-16 shooting but helped Maine pull away late after fumbling away a big lead. Celtics coach Brad Stevens has pledged to utilize Boston’s D-League affiliate to help develop the team’s youngest players.

bob
MY NOTE:  This just highlights the difference in quality between D-league and NBA players.  I like Rozier and Mickey, not so much Young, but could you see Rozier or Mickey putting up those numbers against OKC or any other NBA team?  Nevertheless it's better for them to be in Maine and working on their games, playing the same sets Brad uses, than following the team around and sitting on the bench all the time.  That means, though, that RJ has to carry the burden of the rookie hazing ritual by himself.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rozier and Mickey On Fire In Maine Empty Re: Rozier and Mickey On Fire In Maine

Post by Matty Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 am

Bob, if Jordan Mickey could put up 19 pts, 12 reb & 7 blks per game in the NBA then we have our new starting 4 for the next decade, and Sully and K.O are trade bait.

until then Go Red Claws!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Matty wrote:Bob, if Jordan Mickey could put up 19 pts, 12 reb & 7 blks per game in the NBA then we have our new starting 4 for the next decade, and Sully and K.O are trade bait.

until then Go Red Claws!!

Matty,

If The Mouse could do that, we'd get to see if Cowens really can dance!

Me too, for that matter.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 pm

I can dance, I said our best 2 bigs at crunch time would be Amir and Sully, I think by end of season Mickey also could be our 3rd best big off the bench, kid has knack for the ball, and his shot blocking abilities look very real to me. Kid has athleticism you can't teach, go Mickey your so fine you blow my mind.....go Mickey.

I think he has a better chance to get in the PF rotation than James Young, thats for sure!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:01 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote: I can dance, I said our best 2 bigs at crunch time would be Amir and Sully, I think by end of season Mickey also could be our 3rd best big off the bench, kid has knack for the ball, and his shot blocking abilities look very real to me. Kid has athleticism you can't teach, go Mickey your so fine you blow my mind.....go Mickey.

I think he has a better chance to get in the PF rotation than James Young, thats for sure!!!

cow,

Young has no chance, zero, of getting into the PF rotation.  His chances of getting into the rotation for wings is slightly better, but not that much, not unless a trade involves one that's already part of the rotation because I don't see him just beating someone out for impactful minutes.  Mickey still has to beat out Lee and Kelly.  I'm sure Danny would love to move Lee, and I'm sure he's trying, but his salary is an obstacle.  That obstacle will get smaller every day as less and less of his contract is left to pay and playoff bound teams and teams looking to shed salary start looking at what options are available for them.  I know you're not a Kelly fan, but Brad obviously likes him and is giving him more minutes than Lee, and Kelly's game has improved too.  Barring an injury to a big, I don't see Mickey playing much.  Amir has an ankle problem.  I proposed letting him sit out a game or two to rest it and that would be Mickey's chance to get some NBA minutes in.  I don't think Brad read my memo.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:20 pm

bob

I do not dislike Kelly, even though his game is not ideal for what I would want in a big. I just can't stand a certain posters constant +/- stats preach constantly being hammered that this kid is the greatest thing since white bread when his game both ends are limited at best and inconsistent. If anything Brad is doing a great job using him and developing more of his game without having his weaknesses which are apparent hurt the team too much. He could do that with Kelly who still gets limited minutes and never is on floor during crunch time, he can't find minutes for Young who quite frankly hasn't shown me anything that he deserves them. How some poster also thinks he can get minutes as a PF is beyond me, but hey what do I know?

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob

I do not dislike Kelly, even though his game is not ideal for what I would want in a big. I just can't stand a certain posters constant +/- stats preach constantly being hammered that this kid is the greatest thing since white bread when his game both ends are limited at best and inconsistent. If anything Brad is doing a great job using him and developing more of his game without having his weaknesses which are apparent hurt the team too much. He could do that with Kelly who still gets limited minutes and never is on floor during crunch time, he can't find minutes for Young who quite frankly hasn't shown me anything that he deserves them. How some poster also thinks he can get minutes as a PF is beyond me, but hey what do I know?

cow

cow,

I thought the idea of Paul George playing PF was a bit odd too, but it seems to be working. I know Paul George is vastly, vastly superior to James Young, and that's why it even could conceivably work, but I never would have thought it had much of a shot of being a successful regular rotation. As you said "what do I know?"

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:39 pm

bob James Young couldn't hold or even get near Paul George's jockstrap.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:30 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob James Young couldn't hold or even get near Paul George's jockstrap.

cow,

Thank you for that image.  Now I have to go put my head between my knees and flush bleach through my sinuses.

I never said they are close, I'm not that dim, I'm just saying the idea of taking a player out of a position where he is one of the best in the league and move him into a position he's not really built for would not have occurred to me as being an effective strategy and yet, here we are. To do that with a player who is already struggling to stay in the league at the position he is already built for doesn't either.

A 6'6" PF? Unless he's the next Charles Barkley, I don't see it, and James Young isn't the next Charles Barkley. With all due respect to Rambone, I don't care what his standing reach is, he'd get pounded into paste. When your nose is roughly level to your man's shoulder, that is not a good place to be. Mouthpieces only protect your teeth from being shattered, they don't protect your nose or cheekbones or jaw. If you are going to wear one of those masks, sure, then you can get away with it but it only serves to highlight the fact that you are expecting to get popped, repeatedly and powerfully, in the face by a player playing their normal game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:25 pm

bob are you sure? that poster is really good at slanting stats for guys that play 12 min a game to prove over and over that they are the new boy wonder, better than Wonderbread, that his stats are the end all and MEAN everything cause hes the expert and everyones eye test is always wrong....cause hes been the best at +/- for 2 years now, so that player is the best.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob James Young couldn't hold or even get near Paul George's jockstrap.

cow,

Thank you for that image.  Now I have to go put my head between my knees and flush bleach through my sinuses.

I never said they are close, I'm not that dim, I'm just saying the idea of taking a player out of a position where he is one of the best in the league and move him into a position he's not really built for would not have occurred to me as being an effective strategy and yet, here we are.  To do that with a player who is already struggling to stay in the league at the position he is already built for doesn't either.

A 6'6" PF?  Unless he's the next Charles Barkley, I don't see it, and James Young isn't the next Charles Barkley.  With all due respect to Rambone, I don't care what his standing reach is, he'd get pounded into paste.  When your nose is roughly level to your man's shoulder, that is not a good place to be.  Mouthpieces only protect your teeth from being shattered, they don't protect your nose or cheekbones or jaw.  If you are going to wear one of those masks, sure, then you can get away with it but it only serves to highlight the fact that you are expecting to get popped, repeatedly and powerfully, in the face by a player playing their normal game.  

bob

and I believe Paul George is 6'8", but hes still better as a 3.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:42 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob are you sure? that poster is really good at slanting stats for guys that play 12 min a game to prove over and over that they are the new boy wonder, better than Wonderbread, that his stats are the end all and MEAN everything cause hes the expert and everyones eye test is always wrong....cause hes been the best at +/- for 2 years now, so that player is the best.

cowens,

You know how you said that obsessing on a specific thing can get annoying after a while and how the best thing to do is to let it go and let reality speak for itself?

You were right, you really can dance.

But the music has stopped, at least for now. Maybe you should see it as an opportunity to relax and take a load off. I'd hate for people who haven't spent time with you off the board, like I have, start to think you're a little touched in the head because you keep dancing to music nobody is hearing anymore.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:13 pm

And now, back to our regularly scheduled (and far more enjoyable) programming:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-recall-mickey-rozier-and-young-maine?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Celtics recall Mickey, Rozier and Young from Maine
November 15, 2015, 4:45 pm

The Boston Celtics have recalled all three of their assignees to the team’s Development League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. All three will be on the Celtics bench tonight as they face the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The three – James Young, Jordan Mickey and Terry Rozier – were significant contributors to the Red Claws’ 106-99 win over the Canton Charge on Saturday.

Young, who spent time with the Red Claws as a rookie last season, had 14 points with two rebounds and an assist. Mickey, playing in his second game with Maine, had a double-double of 19 points and 12 rebounds in addition to blocking seven shots.

And Rozier, on assignment to the Red Claws for the first time this season, had a near double-double with 29 points and eight rebounds along with six assists.

The Red Claws return to action on Thursday when they will be on the road against Raptors 905, the D-League affiliate team of the Toronto Raptors. The Celtics are hosting the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday night, so it remains to be seen if the Celtics will look to assign one or all three of them to the Red Claws in time to see action for Maine.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 am

I see all three of these young guys shuttling back and forth between Boston and Portland for much of the year, and I have no problem with this theory of player development especially for Rozier and Mickey since they are first year players.

Both of these guys will still have a chance to contribute in a Boston Celtics uniform possibly this season or by next season for sure.

Young, on the other hand, is a totally different story. He may still be young in age, but he is in his second year with the Celtics and is still the 15th man on a 15 man roster. Will he ever move up to a spot where he can make a solid
contribution? Who knows, but it does not seem as though he will to me for several reasons.

The first reason is that he has not done enough after his first full year with the Cs to even enter a varsity game in his second season as of yet. To me, this has to show that he is still way behind in many, many aspects of what is needed to play in the NBA. Second, there is already a rookie (Hunter) who plays the exact same positions ahead of him in Boston. And, Hunter is not likely to all of a sudden get "worse", but is much more likely to keep getting better and better. Third, it is pretty commonly accepted that the Cs need a professional scoring small forward and that this type of player is likely to come in a trade which will further take any possible minutes from James Young.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:02 pm

With Young and Rozier with the Celtics, only Jordan Mickey is left with the Maine Red Claws.

He scored a career high 25 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks last night.

Let's keep in mind, this is D-league, and the team that beat them is the Toronto 905.  This was their first win in franchise history.  I hope to God for their sakes this is their first season...

Mickey is #23, in white.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down