Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard

+3
Outside
NYCelt
dbrown4
7 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard Empty Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:06 pm

So with the DeMarcus Cousins-to-the-Celtics talk apparently cooling, perhaps they’re eyeing another big man?

How would Dwight Howard look in green?

ESPN NBA Insider Kevin Pelton, in listing five potential trades for Howard, 30, the eight-time All-Star who is reportedly unhappy with the Houston Rockets, has the Celtics as destination No. 1.

Here’s Pelton’s potential deal:

David Lee, Tyler Zeller, future first-round pick...Lee wouldn't have much value to the Rockets, who might just buy him out. Besides offering some flexibility with the hard cap Houston is working under this year after using its non-taxpayer mid-level exception, this trade is all about getting one of Boston's huge stockpile of picks to flip in another trade. That could work out like when the Rockets traded Kyle Lowry to the Toronto Raptors for a lottery pick that ended up being a key part of the James Harden deal months later.

On 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Felger & Mazz" who Thursday, Michael Felger and Jim Murray discuss a potential Howard deal.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-celtics-a-potential-trade-destination-for-dwight-howard

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard Empty Re: Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm not too sure a head case like Howard is worth that much at 30. Bounced around too much and whines a lot.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard Empty Re: Report: Celtics a potential destination for Howard

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:42 pm

I saw a story earlier that I'll locate and post if I can make the time. It was an interview with Danny Ainge and he was saying that it's never a good idea to bring problem players in. It would certainly rule out Cousins completely, but might apply to Howard to a certain extent. Although Howard hasn't had the major explosions, he does seem to shut it down when things don't go his way. Factor in the cost in dollars and possibly draft picks and you're better off looking elsewhere.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Well I did suggest this very point when McHale was fired. Is he the right fit, who knows, but we could get him without giving up a ton of picks..........but it all depends on which picks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Hopefully, this is just media-driven musings. I can't believe Ainge would seriously consider this. Howard is a high-maintenance, passive-aggressive, me-driven player who isn't as good as he used to be.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:20 pm

For the right price and the right coach..........he could be a monster!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:51 pm

NYCelt wrote:I saw a story earlier that I'll locate and post if I can make the time.  It was an interview with Danny Ainge and he was saying that it's never a good idea to bring problem players in.  It would certainly rule out Cousins completely, but might apply to Howard to a certain extent.  Although Howard hasn't had the major explosions, he does seem to shut it down when things don't go his way.  Factor in the cost in dollars and possibly draft picks and you're better off looking elsewhere.

Ainge: 'Never a good idea' to bring in disruptive players

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/ainge-problem-any-locker-room-bring-players-demarcus-cousins-issues?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

I listened to this earlier this morning. It took a while for me to find it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:37 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I saw a story earlier that I'll locate and post if I can make the time.  It was an interview with Danny Ainge and he was saying that it's never a good idea to bring problem players in.  It would certainly rule out Cousins completely, but might apply to Howard to a certain extent.  Although Howard hasn't had the major explosions, he does seem to shut it down when things don't go his way.  Factor in the cost in dollars and possibly draft picks and you're better off looking elsewhere.

Ainge: 'Never a good idea' to bring in disruptive players

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/ainge-problem-any-locker-room-bring-players-demarcus-cousins-issues?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

I listened to this earlier this morning.  It took a while for me to find it again.

Thanks gyso!

You're making it possible for me to get lazy(er).
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 pm

We don't want someone else's problem child. We want to grow our own (from the draft, perhaps)

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Grow our own problem children?

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:06 am

a couple of thoughts, since this story is all over the inner webs now.

1)Howard has a PLAYER option for next year at around $23M. So IF Ainge makes the deal, will he get assurances that it won't be a one year rental?

2) IF Ainge is really working this as a deal, I am SURE he has already talked with McHale about Howards attitude and play this year and last.

getting him for Lee ( one year rental), Zeller (not in the rotation now) and either our own or Dallas' first next year, seems like worth rolling the dice. Especially IF Howard commits to being here next year also.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:25 am

I hope that we would NOT trade anything for Howard or Cousins, but if we do, we should not include the Nets' 2016 first round pick.

That pick is our only chance to get a difference maker that actually fits into what Brad and company are trying to do.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:28 am

GYSO

Agreed no trading 2016 pick. The draft will be here sooner then you think!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:07 pm

I would trade the Nets pick next year for Cousins myself.

at 25YO he is in his prime

on a low deal for a few more years

is closer to superman and Howard is.

also having the fourth or fifth pick in a three player draft is not a good thing.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:32 pm

gyso wrote:I hope that we would NOT trade anything for Howard or Cousins, but if we do, we should not include the Nets' 2016 first round pick.

That pick is our only chance to get a difference maker that actually fits into what Brad and company are trying to do.

gyso

gyso

I also agree 100%. The 2016 nets pick could be that stud we all want. I think Stevens can coach up these young players. The Celtics have the potential to become contenders for an extended period of time especially if the foundation is established with youth.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down