Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency

+5
dboss
cowens/oldschool
sinus007
tjmakz
Shamrock1000
9 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency Empty Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 am

www.thebirdwrites.com/platform/amp/2019/1/29/18203009/boston-celtics-nba-trade-anthony-davis-los-angeles-lakers-pelicans-jayson-tatum-free-agency-woj

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency
So much for that attempted power play move by the Los Angeles Lakers, huh?
By Oleh Kosel on January 29, 2019 8:22 pm

During the six o’clock p.m. hour of ESPN’s SportsCenter, Adrian Wojnarowski dropped some pretty impactful news regarding the New Orleans Pelicans franchise and for all those with an interest in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes.

Oleh Kosel
@OlehKosel
Woj just said on ESPN that Boston will talk to Nola soon regarding a trade, if they haven't in last hour.

Celtics will let Pels know: "We are going to be aggressive. We're going to be able to give you everything you want for Anthony Davis. Hold off before the trade deadline."

5:08 PM - Jan 29, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
258 people are talking about this

In recent days, we’ve witnessed Davis’ representation (Rich Paul of Klutch Sports) ask for a trade out of New Orleans, recommend a preference for the Los Angeles Lakers, and amid these two events, Chris Haynes suggested that the New York Knicks would prepare an offer but Boston sat on the periphery as there was a question regarding the probability of re-signing Kyrie Irving.

Well, in about 24 hours time, Wojnarowski has incinerated the idea that general manager Danny Ainge and the Celtics would not be major players for Davis’ services. In addition, Boston is reportedly ready to hand over the mother lode, giving New Orleans their choice of picks and players — provided they wait until the upcoming free agency to deal Davis.

Ainge, obviously, has to take this stance of “we’ll give you anything” because he can’t make a trade offer for Davis at this time. The NBA Bargaining Agreement prohibits two players currently signed under the Designated Player Rookie Extension (or “Rose Rule” if you prefer) to be on the same team. Since Irving and Davis remain on these type of extension contracts, Boston cannot trade for Davis unless Irving is dealt or the Celtics must wait until Kyrie’s contract runs out on July 1st.

Yes, expect the later.

Irving will in all likelihood remain firmly in Boston’s future plans so they’ll resign him when the time comes in July. Meanwhile, many have expected for years that one day Ainge would open up his war chest of assets for the right player. Anthony Davis is that guy and he’s always been the apple in the GM’s eye. It’s key to note that Boston has inquired into his availability in the past plus it is worth mentioning that Irving has previously recruited Davis to come join him in Boston.

Where does this leave the Lakers right now? Scrambling hard and that’s why we witnessed the events unfold as they did over the last 48 hours. The Lakers team is reeling in the standings and Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka know they don’t have the assets to compete with Boston and others this summer. They have to make a deal now, but fortunately, New Orleans holds all the cards.

Davis remains under contract for close to another 18 months so the Pelicans have little pressure to deal him anywhere at this time. They can sit back and wait for the best offers to come rolling in — which won’t be until this summer.

As far as tossing out that grenade of claiming Davis will not re-sign with anyone but the Lakers isn’t likely to scare most contenders with good packages away from the bargaining table. Paul George changed his mind. Kawhi Leonard is in a good position to do the same. Furthermore, Danny Ainge says he doesn’t care what comes out of Klutch Sports. He remains willing to take a chance as Masai Ujiri did up in Toronto.

This is all certainly good news for New Orleans and their fans. Now, can we just hurry up and get past this February 7th trade deadline already?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency Empty Re: Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:07 am

How does this New Orleans Pelicans writer know that Boston will tell New Orleans that they will give everything New Orleans wants for AD?

Celtics will let Pels know: "We are going to be aggressive. We're going to be able to give you everything you want for Anthony Davis. Hold off before the trade deadline."

This New Orleans writer knows the same as we know what will happen. Zero. Talk about writing a story just to write a story.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency Empty Re: Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency

Post by sinus007 Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 am

Hi,
As I mentioned in another thread, I can't imagine Danny will trade (everything you want) for AD without assurances that he'll re-sign.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
As I mentioned in another thread, I can't imagine Danny will trade (everything you want) for AD without assurances that he'll re-sign.

AK

Agreed, with Kyrie it was worth it because that team had gone as far as it could go, we had younger upgraded players to replace the ones we traded, now at this point in time, we would be giving up key irreplaceable franchise pieces, we can’t do that on a 1 year rental....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

AK

Agreed, with Kyrie it was worth it because that team had gone as far as it could go, we had younger upgraded players to replace the ones we traded, now at this point in time, we would be giving up key irreplaceable franchise pieces, we can’t do tha t on a 1 year rental....

Though I see your point, I kind of disagree. Of course I wouldn't give up "everything", but for a player like Davis, I feel like no one is untouchable on our roster. Considering the amount of talent on this team, the Celtics are in the unique position where they could trade for Davis and still be in a position to contend. I would argue they would be in an even better position than they are currently. Assuming this is true (big assumption, I know), then the risk of AD being a one year rental is seriously mitigated; it would be hard to walk away from a situation where you are the center piece of a championship/near championship team. Also, don't forget that the Celtics don't have to provide NO with anything near equal value, they just have to beat everyone else's offer.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm

If Boston makes a trade for AD it will be a boatload of assets heading out the door.

It is kinda funny that we have been discussing AD a lot recently and then bam, he wants out.

I can make a pro or con argument but the main thing is that Boston should have a chance to make their pitch.  Klutch/LAL/James are trying to manipulate the situation.  It is a sign of weakness.  It is the type of slight of hand that you would expect to see at  a local carnival.  See what's in my right hand, don't look at my left.  Behind the scenes there is really a lot of conflict of interest going on here but there is nothing to stop it except for NOLA taking a wait see approach.  They are a business entity and as such they must do their due diligence before trading away their franchise player.

If no deal is made by the fast approaching deadline, Boston will be the big bad dog at the auction.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm

dboss wrote:If Boston makes a trade for AD it will be a boatload of assets heading out the door.

It is kinda funny that we have been discussing AD a lot recently and then bam, he wants out.

I can make a pro or con argument but the main thing is that Boston should have a chance to make their pitch.  Klutch/LAL/James are trying to manipulate the situation.  It is a sign of weakness.  It is the type of slight of hand that you would expect to see at  a local carnival.  See what's in my right hand, don't look at my left.  Behind the scenes there is really a lot of conflict of interest going on here but there is nothing to stop it except for NOLA taking a wait see approach.  They are a business entity and as such they must do their due diligence before trading away their franchise player.

If no deal is made by the fast approaching deadline, Boston will be the big bad dog at the auction.

Exactly! I just hope the management NO is competent enough to act appropriately in their own best interest.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Shamrock,
1. I'm afraid you didn't get my (and Cow's) main point. For the last 15 years Danny has been following strategy of building a multi-year contender. I can't imagine that all of a sudden, just for the sake of having one great player, he abandons this strategy. Sure, having AD will increase our chances to beat GSW but it's not given. And it will be only for one year if he leaves because after that we'll get stranded or, rather pushed back, without our 2 starters (most probably JT and Smart), without the best big in the game (AD) and without one or two very valuable draft picks. Not Danny's style. Sure, he did make mistakes: bad draft picks, unforeseen injuries, etc. But I don't remember a mistake he made that he could avoid.
2. There's also a Kyrie card in this game, IMO. I think that KI will watch the AD trade and if there's no guaranty that he stays in Boston, KI will sign 1-2 year contract or just bolt to elsewhere.
3. You kind of contradict yourself: "... I wouldn't give up "everything", but for a player like Davis, I feel like no one is untouchable on our roster ..." "Everything" means any player, IMO.
Speaking about untouchables, there's only one - KI. Only because in regards of AD trade it doesn't make sense to wait for summer when Danny can do it today.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 pm

sinus007 wrote:Shamrock,
1. I'm afraid you didn't get my (and Cow's) main point. For the last 15 years Danny has been following strategy of building a multi-year contender. I can't imagine that all of a sudden, just for the sake of having one great player, he abandons this strategy. Sure, having AD will increase our chances to beat GSW but it's not given. And it will be only for one year if he leaves because after that we'll get stranded or, rather pushed back, without our 2 starters (most probably JT and Smart), without the best big in the game (AD) and without one or two very valuable draft picks. Not Danny's style. Sure, he did make mistakes: bad draft picks, unforeseen injuries, etc. But I don't remember a mistake he made that he could avoid.
2.  There's also a Kyrie card in this game, IMO. I think that KI will watch the AD trade and if there's no guaranty that he stays in Boston, KI will sign 1-2 year contract or just bolt to elsewhere.
3. You kind of contradict yourself: "... I wouldn't give up "everything", but for a player like Davis, I feel like no one is untouchable on our roster ..." "Everything" means any player, IMO.
Speaking about untouchables, there's only one  - KI. Only because in regards of AD trade it doesn't make sense to wait for summer when Danny can do it today.

AK

Sinus, to clarify, I meant that I would indeed trade any player for AD, including KI. I just meant I wouldn't trade JT, JB, MS and KI or some other ridiculous version of 'everything'. I think I did understand your point, I just see it differently. To me, it seems like Danny has been hording assets to get transcendent players like AD. I also think the Celtics have enough assets to both get AD, and surround him with enough talent to compete for, if not win a title. Certainly it is only my opinion, but I think the Celtics with AD (even after giving up whatever it takes to get him) would have a better chance of winning a title than the current Celtics. As I said, I also believe the risk of AD leaving is minimal if he is the center piece on a winning team. Note also that such a team would be pretty young and thus have a decent window. I guess we differ in that I think the Celtics are uniquely positioned with enough assets to both get AD and surround him with talent, whereas you believe it would gut the team. Fair enough - your point of view is entirely reasonable. One final note - I think I would prefer to have one championship and some bad years over always competing but never winning. Again, I can see both sides...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Danny is not going to trade Kyrie to get AD. His goal is obvious. He wants to pair the two together.

He will leverage draft picks to avoid depleting his entire young core. Say goodbye to Smart and either Jason or Jaylen. The rest of the fillers are irrelevant. He will still have draft picks left.

My best guess is that he sees AD being greater than a combination of Smart and Brown or Smart and Tatum, Danny is not concerned about having to part with guys like yabu or Williams or Semi. Tatum will be the preferred choice for NOLA over Brown. But I like both of them so it does not matter to me. If Danny prefers to keep Tatum he can smooth out the deal by including an extra pick. Either way Danny will end up with 2 elite players and a young 3rd stud. Horford, Hayward would round out their top 5. He should still have a pick to use this year as well as a list of veteran free agents that want to join the team.

I am only making these comments because I do not see KI going out and AD coming in.

I am good with staying the course but I am always good with staying the course but Danny is never good with staying the course for too long.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm

dboss wrote:Danny is not going to trade Kyrie to get AD.  His goal is obvious.  He wants to pair the two together.  

He will leverage draft picks to avoid depleting his entire young core.  Say goodbye to Smart and either Jason or Jaylen.  The rest of the fillers are irrelevant.  He will still have draft picks left.

My best guess is that he sees AD being greater than a combination of Smart and Brown or Smart and Tatum,  Danny is not concerned about having to part with guys like yabu or Williams or Semi.  Tatum will be the preferred choice for NOLA over Brown.  But I like both of them so it does not matter to me.  If Danny prefers to keep Tatum he can smooth out the deal by including an extra pick.  Either way Danny will end up with 2 elite players and a young 3rd stud.  Horford, Hayward would round out their top 5.  He should still have a pick to use this year as well as a list of veteran free agents that want to join the team.

I am only making these comments because I do not see KI going out and AD coming in.

I am good with staying the course but I am always good with staying the course but Danny is never good with staying the course for too long.

I agree entirely. When I said I would trade KI in an earlier post, it was only to indicate AD's worth in my eyes, i.e. I would trade anyone on our roster. Of course it would make no sense for either the Celtics or the Pels to make that trade. KI would most likely bolt after one year in NO, and AD would be even less likely to re-sign with the Celtics if KI is gone.

I would be okay trading Smart, either J, and "filler"(as you call it) for Davis. Wouldn't want to trade both Js though.....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi,
I agree, if the trade goes through it'll be JT/JB + Smart.
OTOH, I'd keep Smart considering his current status.

On the same subject. What if we win it all this year - will it make sense to part with the above mentioned assets to get AD? My inclination to say no.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:14 pm

On the same subject. What if we win it all this year - will it make sense to part with the above mentioned assets to get AD? My inclination to say no.

AK

That is an interesting question.... On the one hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, Al, our best big, seems past his peak...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 pm

AK

Sinus unfortunately Smart's salary has to be used to make the dollars work. Wouldn't it be nice is they would accept AH and Jaylen Brown and picks and we get to keep Smart and Tatum?

In regards to them winning this year that may throw cold water on the reason to make the trade in the first place. It would eliminate any narrative that Kyrie may have about young guys being able and ready to win now. It would also throw cold water on my belief that Boston cannot win now if AH is your best big man.

Therefore I agree with you 100%. At the end of the year you bring home the title, keep your young core, resign Kyrie who would likely be the MVP and use some picks to address any future needs (draft or trade)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:25 pm

If Robert Williams pans out or we can somehow get a younger good big to go along with what we got I believe we can win with what we have. Without Kyrie we did pretty well last year. With Kyrie we have not developed any of our young players to step up. Tatum, Brown, and Rozier's offense are all worst than last year.

I know how good Kyrie is so don't start slamming me but, he lost big without Lebron and I saw him play some huge games pre Lebron. He was exceptional talent and still is. His last two years while playing with Lebron they had a terrible record when Lebron was out for rest or minor injury. That is just fact.

So is Kyrie a leader? If our young players developed the way we thought they would we would be near the top of the conference. Kyrie has to make players around him better. We have too many players just stand around and watch too much. Our movement is not right. Kyrie is the key. If he leaves and we make a couple of adjustments and Hayward comes back pre injury, I think we will be fine.

Of course I would love both Kyrie and Davis signed long term in Boston, but I have some mixed feelings giving up so much for one player. I think Brown and Tatum are going to be big time. Rozier I don't have as much faith in.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Brad Stevens on the NBA rumor mill: "The unfortunate part of being in the middle of it is you realize that most of it’s not true."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 pm

bobheckler wrote:Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Brad Stevens on the NBA rumor mill: "The unfortunate part of being in the middle of it is you realize that most of it’s not true."

bob

He is probably right. If it were true imagine the players the Lakers would have on their team.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:42 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-pelicans-gm-not-195655904.html

NBA rumors: Pelicans GM "not picking up his phone" for Anthony Davis talks

Nick Goss,NBC Sports Boston 5 hours ago

The best course of action for the New Orleans Pelicans in regards to trading Anthony Davis is waiting until the summer when the Boston Celtics and other teams can offer their best possible package for the superstar center.

Davis is signed through next season, so there's no immediate rush to move him before the Feb. 7 trade deadline.

The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly are among the teams most interested in Davis, and it would benefit them to acquire him prior to the deadline while the Celtics are excluded from the bidding -- Boston cannot entertain a trade for the veteran center until the summer due to the league's designated player rule (explained here).

Unfortunately for the Lakers, the Pelicans don't seem too interested in talking about a Davis trade with anyone. Here's the latest on the situation, per ESPN's Dave McMenamin.

"Any Lakers trade package presented to the Pelicans would include some combination of Ingram, Hart, Kuzma, Ball and Ivica Zubac, as well as a future first-round pick or picks. When that offer could occur leading up to the deadline is unknown. New Orleans general manager Dell Demps is "not picking up his phone," a source familiar with the situation told ESPN on Tuesday."

If Demps isn't picking up his phone, that would leave us to believe the Pelicans view a trade in the summer as the best option for the franchise. A statement from the Pelicans on Monday addressing Davis' trade request said the team would resolve the situation "on our terms and our timeline."

The Lakers have valuable trade assets, but their best young players haven't taken the leap many expected before the season. There's no surefire All-Star in the group, and certainly no one with the talent and potential of Celtics forward Jayson Tatum. If the Celtics made Tatum available, it would be very hard for the Lakers or any other team to come up with a more enticing offer for Davis.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't know if any of you remember the guy, "No Trade", from the old BDC days. I don't remember which trade he objected to, I wonder what he'd say about this one?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:18 pm

gyso wrote:I don't know if any of you remember the guy, "No Trade", from the old BDC days.  I don't remember which trade he objected to, I wonder what he'd say about this one?

I do recall that name. That was a long time ago.

I think he would say No Trade

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency Empty Report: Anthony Davis doesn't see Celtics as long-term destination

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-anthony-davis-doesnt-see-celtics-long-term-destination-180745821.html

Report: Anthony Davis doesn't see Celtics as long-term destination

Chris Cwik, Yahoo Sports
52 minutes ago

If New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis goes to the Boston Celtics, he won’t stay there long. Davis reportedly doesn’t view the Celtics as a long-term option for him, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The 25-year-old Davis instead sees Boston as more of a rental option. Davis can opt out of his contract following the 2019-2020 season.

That only adds more credence to reports that Davis is angling for a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers. Davis would also reportedly be happy with the New York Knicks, according to Charania.

Shams Charania
✔️
@ShamsCharania
Anthony Davis is focused on the Lakers as his top preferred destination, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium. The Knicks are also as a preferred landing spot, and made push to New Orleans with offer around Kristaps Porzingis before the Dallas deal.

9:18 AM - Feb 1, 2019

There’s a reason those Lakers rumors exist. LeBron James hasn’t been quiet about his desire to play with Davis. James’ recruitment of Davis has become so well known that TNT analyst Charles Barkley wants NBA commissioner Adam Silver to block any trade that sends Davis to the Lakers.

While the Knicks traded a talented player in Kristaps Porzingis on Thursday, the team also freed up enough salary space to make a run at a few superstars in the offseason. There are rumors the team will go after Kevin Durant. With Kyrie Irving now keeping his options open, he could also be a target for New York. Combine all that with the chance of the team drafting Duke standout Zion Williamson, and the Knicks’ future doesn’t seem so bad.

Boston Celtics prepared to give New Orleans Pelicans anything for Anthony Davis...if they wait until free agency 30fc6a1c1d77c484dcccc0de783a3e28
Anthony Davis doesn’t view Boston as a long-term solution. (AP Photo)

The Pelicans have no obligation to make Davis happy in a deal. The team will be looking for the best offer, though these leaks could impact how much a team is willing to give up knowing Davis could be a rental.

If there’s any consolation here, it’s that the Davis rumors could end soon. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 7, and if he’s moved, the focus will turn to whether he’ll stick around after next season.

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm starting to get a whole lot of bad feelings about ALL of this. I'm thinking Danny and Wyc should put 100% of their focus on re-signing Kyrie, or trading him now, and forget about Davis. This is starting to feel like unmanageable risk.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Seems like noise. I trust that Ainge knows what he’s doing.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down