KG’s Legacy Lives on in Celtics Locker Room

Go down

KG’s Legacy Lives on in Celtics Locker Room Empty KG’s Legacy Lives on in Celtics Locker Room

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:31 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-122015-Kevin-Garnett-Legacy-Lives-Celtics-Locker-Room

KG’s Legacy Lives on in Celtics Locker Room 151420kg

KG’s Legacy Lives on in Celtics Locker Room

Posted: Dec 20, 2015

By Taylor C. Snow |  @Celtics
Celtics.com
December 20, 2015

WALTHAM, Mass. – When Jared Sullinger entered the league in 2012, he was fortunate to be immediately taken under the wing of one of the greatest bigs in NBA history.

Kevin Garnett instilled confidence in the 20-year-old Celtic rookie, and helped shape his approach to the game.

“Just using everything that he learned in his years of playing in the NBA helped me out,” Sullinger said following his team’s practice Sunday afternoon. “Every little minor mistake and every little good thing in my rookie year, he would point it out and try to help me become better and understand the game even better.”

Garnett will suit up in the visitors locker room Monday night at TD Garden to take on his former team. It’s been three seasons since KG last donned his No. 5 Celtics uniform, but remnants of his legacy still linger in the C's locker room across the hall.

“We don’t have a lot of players that played with him left,” said Celtics' coach Brad Stevens, “but certainly the ones that did, talk about him a lot.”

Sullinger, who, along with Avery Bradley, is the only remaining ex-teammate of KG, referred to him as a “big brother” because of his leadership qualities.

“When you make a mistake he’s there supporting you,” said Sully. “When you make a hell of a play I think he’s more excited for you, and that’s been his style over the years with what I’ve heard.”

Garnett carried that style with him to Brooklyn when the C’s traded him to the Nets during the summer of 2013. Now he’s using that leadership to guide the young, talented Timberwolves, along with well-traveled veterans Andre Miller and Tayshaun Prince.

“I like what they’ve done with bringing in the older guys that I think have the reputation of being good leaders,” said Stevens. “I was never around KG, but that was his reputation.”

Sully says what he remembers most about Garnett was his incredible preparation. He was constantly studying scouting reports and would then inform his teammates how to best approach the opposition.

“He knew everything about everybody when it came to bigs,” said Sullinger. “He knew what their favorite shoulder was to go over, knew if they made a certain move the next move that was gonna happen. Just little things like that gave me an advantage, especially with me being a rookie.”

Now, Sullinger is trying to do the same with Boston’s current rookies. He says he has taken 21-year-old big man Jordan Mickey under his wing in an attempt to help his first professional season run smoothly.

Mickey has been back and forth between the Celtics and their Development League affiliate Maine Red Claws this season; but whenever he’s in the gym with the C’s, Sullinger is there to guide him.

Mickey has only played five minutes for Boston this season, but the promising young rim-protector has been running the show with the Red Claws, averaging 19.0 points, 10.8 rebounds and 4.0 blocks per game.

And Sully has taken notice.

“He’s enjoying the D-League being able to play as much as he can,” said Sullinger, “and he’s doing a hell of a job just listening and learning.”

Just like Sullinger did during his rookie campaign when Garnett was showing him the ropes.

KG may be three seasons removed from his career as a Celtic, but it’s clear that his legacy is still impacting this organization, and will continue to do so for years to come.

bob
MY NOTE:  Sully used to say he spent one year at "Garnett University".  KG completely changed the mindset here.  Before him, we had offensive players in Pierce and 'Toine and Big Al, but not much in the way of defense.  That changed the second his plane touched down at Logan.  I know that Minny has a special hold on him but I'm still hopeful, after his playing days are over, he'll come home to Boston and tutor our bigs.

Good on ya, Sully, for playing the role of veteran and helping the rookie bigs. Now all you have to do is lose that rookie faux hawk and BS frito routine.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down