Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks

3 posters

Go down

Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks Empty Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-co-governor-wyc-grousbeck-211728058.html

Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks

Justin Quinn
Tue, May 31, 2022, 2:17 PM·2 min read

Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks Af382b500609df12b5b2378c7116dd08

There have been a lot of fans and analysts looking back on the work done by Danny Ainge during his tenure as the team’s President of Basketball Operations in a much fairer light given the former Boston Celtics chief has his fingerprints all over this iteration of the team about to kick off a Finals series against the Golden State Warriors.

But there remains a subset of both who still wonder about his exit, which came to fruition while the team was still fighting to figure things out in a season that fizzled frustratingly, leading to Ainge stepping down as team president. Asked about that exit on a recent appearance on the WEEI “Greg Hill” show, Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck had plenty of good things to say about his former top exec — and one key caveat regarding the state of their current relationship.

“He was so instrumental while he was here,” explained Grousbeck.

That didn’t stop Grousbeck from setting some firm boundaries in a surprise visit, however.

“It really pains me to have to threaten to throw him out of the locker room when he showed up all of the sudden in the Milwaukee (Bucks) series. I’m like ‘I’m sorry, guests are not allowed in this locker room; you represent the Utah Jazz!'”

“That was a lot of fun,” he joked. “We all had a pretty good laugh about that, it really pained me to have to throw him out of the locker room!”

Don’t get it twisted, however, as Grousbeck took great pains to tip his hat to the job Ainge did as team president from his hiring of Brad Stevens as a coach and recommending him as a replacement executive to the impressive string of hits in the draft Ainge had a had in.

“He bailed out last year of his own wishes, so it’s all the sweeter for him to try and get a pass in the locker room as we go well, but we love Danny, we always will. He’s a Celtic for life.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks Empty Re: Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:37 am

Really, like Ainge was spying or gonna recruit one of them? I would have let Ainge in, what’s the big deal? He knows 90% of those people in the lockeroom very very well already, probably better than Wyc. Your gonna make him wait outside just to later congratulate the guys?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks Empty Re: Celtics co-governor Wyc Grousbeck shares how he had to throw Danny Ainge out of the locker room in East semis vs. Bucks

Post by gyso Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am

It must be a slow news day for this nothing-burger to float to the top.

I ask the question:

If we win this thing and it turns out we are similarly situated next year, how long will it take for team management to hang Uniform #44 up in the rafters?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down