David Lee Available

+2
bobheckler
dboss
6 posters

Go down

David Lee Available Empty David Lee Available

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:20 pm

And, in other breaking news, water is wet and fire is hot...Make it rain, Danny, make it rain.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/12/22/report-celtics-david-lee-available-in-trade/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Report: Celtics’ David Lee available in trade

By Dan Feldman

Dec 22, 2015, 1:47 PM EST

David Lee worked with the Warriors to find a trade last summer so the forward could get more playing time. Golden State eventually dealt him to the Celtics.

But Lee’s minutes (15.Cool, points (7.3) and rebounds (4.3) per game are all down from last season, let alone his peak. There isn’t much margin for error in a frontcourt that also includes Jared Sullinger, Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, Jonas Jerebko and Tyler Zeller.

So, Lee might be on the move again.

David Aldridge of NBA.com:

The Celtics have been very solid, but Coach Brad Stevens has a minutes problem, as evidenced by the lack of time for David Lee—whose expiring contract is available, per league sources.

Lee can help teams as a skilled-passing big, but it’ll be difficult for Boston to trade him just because of his $15,493,680 salary. Many teams will have trouble aggregating enough salary to satisfy the league’s trade-matching rules without including players more valuable than Lee.

His primary value is as a large expiring contract that can facilitate a larger trade for a high-priced star. The Celtics’ valuable draft picks would be a centerpiece of any such deal, but they count as $0 in a trade. So, sending out Lee could could be a simple way for Boston to match salaries.

Most likely, the Celtics keep Lee and let his contract expire – and maybe waive Johnson and Jerebko, whose salaries for next season are unguaranteed – to create a ton of cap space.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

David Lee Available Empty Re: David Lee Available

Post by wideclyde Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:39 pm

I am sure that many of the Cs players will be available for the right trade, but there is no question that Lee could be one of the first ones that Ainge could move if possible.

Lee has not had much of a season yet, and there is a minutes "issue" with the Cs power forwards this year.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:28 pm

May be more difficult and costly to move Lee than it would have been if they kept Wallace...I'm just saying..

I do not see the need for overnight contention. This is not 07 and earlier where Celtics Nation endured years of frustration. The Celts have a competitive team not great but not bad either and the build has produced some very solid young players. I would love to see things play6 out over the next 2 years and that means we do not squander those first rounders from the Nets. Besides we still have other first rounders to move although they may not land a superstar.

So no I would mot make a move for Cousins because I do not think he is a transformative player. I would take my chances in the lottery ..win or lose.. and move on from there.

dboss

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:51 pm

I think that I would even trade Lee for a wing shooter who may also be on a one year expiring contract at this point even though I think that Ainge is waiting to use him to make salaries 'work' closer to the trade deadline.

Getting someone who could score even a couple of more threes per game (without getting killed on the defensive end) would make a huge difference for a team that is currently shooting quite poorly from the three point line. At some point this necessary player may be Hunter as he is going to shoot better than he has been and is already a pretty good defender, ball handler and passer.

Any thoughts of who is out there that the Cs could target?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:21 pm

dboss wrote:May be more difficult and costly to move Lee than it would have been if they kept Wallace...I'm just saying..

I do not see the need for overnight contention.  This is not 07 and earlier where Celtics Nation endured years of frustration.    The Celts have a competitive team not great but not bad either and the build has produced some very solid young players.  I would love to see things play6 out over the next 2 years and that means we do not squander those first rounders from the Nets.  Besides we still have other first rounders to move although they may not land a superstar.

So no I would mot make a move for Cousins because I do not think he is a transformative player.  I would take my chances in the lottery ..win or lose.. and move on from there.

dboss

dboss

dboss,

I don't get where it would be harder to move Lee than Wallace.

1.  Lee can still play, Wallace couldn't anymore.
2.  They are/were both expiring contracts.
3.  Lee has championship experience, Wallace didn't.
4.  The difference in the salaries, approximately $5M, could be made up with a TPE.
5. GSW traded Crash to the Sixers, who waived him almost immediately. He is STILL not signed with anybody. He's practically free, and nobody wants him.

I saw a trade rumor today that said the Bulls are taking calls on Gasol, Noah and Taj Gibson.  According to the NBA Trade Machine, Lee for Noah works.  Danny might have to add some sugar to that, but I'll bet not that much.  Lee is a champion, 32 years old and an expiring contract.  Noah is DPOY, but lost his starting slot to Gasol (an even bigger demotion than Lee losing his to Green at GSW, since Gasol is MUCH older than Green) and has a shoulder injury that he says will require 2-4 weeks of rest and rehab (meaning closer to 3-5 weeks).

Bulls want a "talented wing player".  How about throwing James Young in?

As far as landing a "transformative player" in the draft, Brooklyn beat Chicago the other night and are now up to 8 wins.  They are tied at 8 with NOP, and the Nets are starting to look like they are remembering they have some talent.  We could be getting the 5th, or worse, pick in the draft from them and you're not likely to get a transformative player at 5+, although kdp and others who follow college sports could say that better than I.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Bulls want a "talented wing player". How about throwing James Young in?

Bob, to what talent are you referring?

I'd trade Lee for Noah in a heartbeat. Folks may be surprised what he could do for the Celts. Mightily surprised.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:May be more difficult and costly to move Lee than it would have been if they kept Wallace...I'm just saying..

I do not see the need for overnight contention.  This is not 07 and earlier where Celtics Nation endured years of frustration.    The Celts have a competitive team not great but not bad either and the build has produced some very solid young players.  I would love to see things play6 out over the next 2 years and that means we do not squander those first rounders from the Nets.  Besides we still have other first rounders to move although they may not land a superstar.

So no I would mot make a move for Cousins because I do not think he is a transformative player.  I would take my chances in the lottery ..win or lose.. and move on from there.

dboss

dboss

dboss,

I don't get where it would be harder to move Lee than Wallace.

1.  Lee can still play, Wallace couldn't anymore.
2.  They are/were both expiring contracts.
3.  Lee has championship experience, Wallace didn't.
4.  The difference in the salaries, approximately $5M, could be made up with a TPE.
5.  GSW traded Crash to the Sixers, who waived him almost immediately.  He is STILL not signed with anybody.  He's practically free, and nobody wants him.

I saw a trade rumor today that said the Bulls are taking calls on Gasol, Noah and Taj Gibson.  According to the NBA Trade Machine, Lee for Noah works.  Danny might have to add some sugar to that, but I'll bet not that much.  Lee is a champion, 32 years old and an expiring contract.  Noah is DPOY, but lost his starting slot to Gasol (an even bigger demotion than Lee losing his to Green at GSW, since Gasol is MUCH older than Green) and has a shoulder injury that he says will require 2-4 weeks of rest and rehab (meaning closer to 3-5 weeks).

Bulls want a "talented wing player".  How about throwing James Young in?

As far as landing a "transformative player" in the draft, Brooklyn beat Chicago the other night and are now up to 8 wins.  They are tied at 8 with NOP, and the Nets are starting to look like they are remembering they have some talent.  We could be getting the 5th, or worse, pick in the draft from them and you're not likely to get a transformative player at 5+, although kdp and others who follow college sports could say that better than I.

bob

Bob

I was thinking about the differences in salary between Lee and Wallace.  Also just because brad stopped playing Wallace it did not mean that he could not play anymore.

I would do a Noah for Lee trade provided we used an artificial sweetener to make the deal work.

The Nets are one bad step (Lopez) away from washing down the drain. However there are no transformative players in the draft.  there is potential for a player to become a transformative type of guy (Simmons)  I realize that when the balls start blowing around in the jar anything can happen.  But I would take the damn shot.  If you miss you miss.  We have future draft picks still in the pipeline.  We need to add a young stud.  that is not all that we need but the Celtics need to draft a young stud and the best way to do that is to stay the course and use the high first rounders to give yourself a shot.

Merry Xmas

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Dboss, I hope no one is talking about trading away our Nets pick this year. Too valuable an opportunity if you ask me.

James Young makes sense as an artificial sweetener to the Bulls in a Lee/Noah swap. Of course this assumes Bulls management is brain dead.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:45 pm

worcester wrote:Bulls want a "talented wing player".  How about throwing James Young in?

Bob, to what talent are you referring?

I'd trade Lee for Noah in a heartbeat. Folks may be surprised what he could do for the Celts. Mightily surprised.

worcester,

Shhhh.

Oh yeah, absolutely, James Young is sick talented! Oh, no! You cannot make me give him up for anything! No, no, no, no!

Please don't throw me in that briar patch, Brer Bull.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Bob, I have a fence I will allow the Bulls to paint while they're at it, but only if they're real nice to me.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Although Noah does not eliminate the crowded front court situation for the Cs, I would also take him in an instant for David Lee straight up and might even toss in a second round pick or two.

Not sure what they could give back for james Young, but I would have to look hard at almost any possibility and make it a two for two type of trade.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:42 pm

You all have to wait until February for Lee to finish is career as a Celtic. No one will pay for him now.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:27 pm

But, probably not too much difference in paying Noah and Lee if they were traded for each other. Perhaps Chicago eliminates a guy they seemingly do not want for a different expiring contract and two second rounders? They could do worse if they indeed want to move Noah.

Heck, I would even toss in a third second rounder to make it happen.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Or Dallas' first rounder
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:20 pm

They are not trading Noah, he is too valuable.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:38 pm

He's an unrestricted free agent in June and I hope that Danny is going to be spending his abundance of free agency cash on players that are star players that are not on the downhill side of their careers .  Big bucks to the super stars and then see what's left over to fill out the roster. As of today the Celtics only have 8 players under contract for the 2016-17 season, and 3 of them are in their rookie seasons.

swish

Last edited by swish on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor correction)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down