Johnson fighting through foot pain to help Celtics

Go down

Johnson fighting through foot pain to help Celtics Empty Johnson fighting through foot pain to help Celtics

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:52 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/johnson-fighting-through-foot-pain-help-celtics?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Johnson fighting through foot pain to help Celtics

December 28, 2015, 3:45 pm

Johnson fighting through foot pain to help Celtics Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON – The irony of Amir Johnson’s foot injury is not lost on the big man.

He has plantar fasciitis in his left foot, an injury that requires rest in order to truly heal. But it also requires him sleeping, or trying to at least, with an elevated therapeutic boot.

“I gotta do it,” he told CSNNE.com following Boston’s win over New York on Sunday. “I just have to have my foot in a boot and not sleep.”

Treatments for the inflamed tendon on the bottom of his left foot have been a daily requirement for Johnson. Johnson readily admits it can be cumbersome at times, but he understands it has to be like this for him to play.

And Johnson’s play is critical to Boston’s chances at success this season.

The Celtics (18-13) are riding a season-best four game winning streak, and Johnson’s play in the last two games has been a major part of that success.

Johnson is a rim-protecting big man who does more than contest shots. His ability to slide over and offer help defensively whether it’s to cut off a lane to the basket or block a shot, is important to a team like the Celtics that’s built around playing strong defense.

Johnson has been especially effective within 10 feet of the rim. This season, opponents are shooting 43.6 percent when guarded by Johnson within 10 feet. That’s 10.9 percent less than they normally shoot from that range, according to NBA.com/stats.

Among players with at least 20 appearances this season (Johnson has played in 28 games), his percent differential within 10 feet of the rim ranks sixth in the NBA.

That versatility as a defender is part of why Boston made signing him to a two-year, $24 million contract (the second year is a team option).

“He’s really important because he gives us something that … differentiates himself from our other bigs,” said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens.

Unfortunately, that also includes dealing with a nagging injury that’s unlikely to get healthy this season.

Johnson played in Detroit with ex-Celtic Rasheed Wallace who suffered from a plantar fasciitis injury. Wallace often described the injury as feeling as though a rock was stuck in the middle of his foot. Johnson said he feels a similar kind of pain and irritation from time to time with the injury.

“At times it’s just sore,” Johnson said. “It’s kind of hard to move. But once you get moving and it’s warm, you don’t feel it. And after games, you have to make sure you ice it.”

Johnson said part of his treatments including rubbing a small cup of ice along the sore area for about 10 minutes.

“They (Celtics medical staff) do ice, laser and all different stuff, taking medicine,” Johnson said. “It’s new to me.”

Because of that, he’s doing a lot more listening to the medical staff as well as his body.

He has no idea if he’ll miss any more games due to the injury. All he’s focused on now is doing what he can to contain the pain, and get some rest when possible for his foot – and the rest of body, too.

“I’m doing all I can to help the team,” Johnson said. “That’s all I can do with something like this; just give all I got when I get out there.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I would think that against a team that sucks as badly as the Lakers maybe this would be a good game to let him rest and play Mickey for a few minutes.  If Mickey isn't getting the job done then put Kelly or Sully in (assuming Lee is still out with back spasms) and let them play even more minutes, 30 minutes each instead of 25.  It's not like we are thin at depth at that position...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down