What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver

2 posters

Go down

What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver Empty What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver

Post by swish Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:21 am

Stumbled on to this rather lengthy article which I believe offers some interesting views on the makeup of successful teams. The article was written about 15 years ago so one could question its current validity. Sort of fits in with current board conversations about moves that the Celtics should consider.

http://www.sfandllaw.com/Articles/What-Wins-Basketball-Games-a-Review-of-Basketball-on-Paper-Rules-and-Tools-for-Performance-Analysis.shtml

swish

Last edited by swish on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : show link)

swish

Back to top Go down

What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver Empty Re: What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver

Post by swish Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:43 am

swish wrote:Stumbled on to this rather lengthy article which I believe offers some interesting views on the makeup of successful teams. The article was written about 15 years ago so one could question its current validity. Sort of fits in with current board conversations about moves that the Celtics should consider.

http://www.sfandllaw.com/Articles/What-Wins-Basketball-Games-a-Review-of-Basketball-on-Paper-Rules-and-Tools-for-Performance-Analysis.shtml

swish

I found the below data to be quite interesting.

"Contrary to what some coaches and commentators think, it is not easier for offenses to rebound three point shots. Oliver looked at numerous NBA games between 1999 and 2002 that included several thousand missed shots. The offense rebounded 33 percent of two point misses and 31 percent of three point misses. Generally speaking, the rebounds on three point shots do not go farther from the basket than two point shots. Also, many two point field goals are shot close to the basket and the shooter often has the best chance to get the rebound"

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver Empty Re: What wins basketball games - By Dean Oliver

Post by beat Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 am

swish wrote:
swish wrote:Stumbled on to this rather lengthy article which I believe offers some interesting views on the makeup of successful teams. The article was written about 15 years ago so one could question its current validity. Sort of fits in with current board conversations about moves that the Celtics should consider.

swish

I found the below data to be quite interesting.

"Contrary to what some coaches and commentators think, it is not easier for offenses to rebound three point shots. Oliver looked at numerous NBA games between 1999 and 2002 that included several thousand missed shots. The offense rebounded 33 percent of two point misses and 31 percent of three point misses. Generally speaking, the rebounds on three point shots do not go farther from the basket than two point shots. Also, many two point field goals are shot close to the basket and the shooter often has the best chance to get the rebound"

swish

I would think it stands to reason that the defenders are a little further away from the rim when a three point shot is taken that a two pointer so statistically the 2% difference is almost a wash.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down