cowens/oldschool
Ktronic1
arambone
NYCelt
Shamrock1000
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston Empty Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:01 pm

CSNNE

A. Sherrod Blakely

BOSTON -- The Miami Heat is expected to be in the market for some help along the frontcourt now that Chris Bosh’s future is once again in doubt.

Boston will emerge as a potential trade partner, which should open the door for the Celtics to have another shot at acquiring Justise Winslow.

Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, was all-in on draft night when it came to the 6-foot-7 forward out of Duke. Ainge reportedly offered the Charlotte Hornets, holders of the No. 9 pick, four first-round picks for the ninth pick, which Boston would have used to select Winslow. The Hornets turned the offer down and instead decided to draft Frank Kaminsky.

Bosh is reportedly dealing with a blood-clot issue, similar to the one that sidelined him for the final 30 games of last season.

The 11-time All-Star’s absence creates a huge void for a Miami team that’s knee-deep in a playoff race but shallow roster-wise when it comes to frontcourt help.

Miami (29-24), currently fifth in the East, returns to action this week after having lost its last two and three of five.

While Boston may have been willing to offer a king’s ransom for the chance to select Winslow on draft night, don’t expect an offer for his services now to be that generous.

For starters, he is with a Heat team that, from a negotiations standpoint, doesn’t have much leverage. Miami has struggled to win recently and is now potentially without its best big man. And while Dwyane Wade is still a premier player in the NBA, the 34-year-old guard can’t dominate games and carry the Heat like he used to.

In addition, the Celtics (32-23) have the third-best record in the Eastern Conference, a roster that is as healthy as it has been all season, and -- maybe most important -- exceptional team chemistry, which has been a significant component of their success.

When it comes to Winslow, there are no concerns about him fitting in. The bigger issue is whose minutes will be cut by adding him to the rotation, which was cut down to nine players but has lately been 10-deep with the re-emergence of Tyler Zeller off the bench.

As we have seen with Ainge in the past, when he really likes a player his pursuit doesn’t go away quietly.

Boston still has a longing for Cleveland’s Kevin Love. If Boston can’t acquire Love by the trade deadline, the Celtics will make another run at him this summer.

We saw Ainge bide his time when it came to Isaiah Thomas, too. When Thomas became a free agent in the summer of 2014, the first person to reach out to him was Ainge despite Boston not being in a position at the time to offer him the kind of contract he was seeking. That led Thomas to sign with the Suns.

A few short months later, Ainge and Phoenix worked out a deal sending Thomas to Boston. After the trade, Thomas helped Boston get to the playoffs where they were swept in the first round by eventual Eastern Conference champion Cleveland.

Boston’s upper-tier status in the East is among the many reasons why the 5-foot-9 guard was named an All-Star for the first time this season.

While Boston wasn’t anticipating having a shot at Winslow anytime soon, Bosh’s injury makes Miami extremely vulnerable when it comes to having big men that can play . . . something the Celtics have plenty of.

Including David Lee is a no-brainer if you’re Boston. Chances are the Heat would like at least one more player and a couple of picks, too.

It sounds like quite a bit for the rookie small forward, who is averaging 5.7 points and 5.1 rebounds per game.

But he’s a player Ainge likes . . . a lot.

And as we’ve seen in the past, those guys usually become members of the Boston Celtics sooner or later.

Back to top Go down

Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston Empty Re: Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

I can't imagine there is any way Miami would part with Winslow, not even for front court help to cover for Bosh.

If so, and there were any way to get him, I'd give them almost anything they want in return.  If it's immediate help they need, the first pick from the Nets may or may not be on the table, but I'd consider it.  Winslow would be much more valuable to us than anyone coming out in this years draft.  Think I'd hang on to IT, Bradley and Smart if possible, and maybe our own first pick.  Although if needed in order to get it done, I'd give up one of those three guards.

Not happening though.  Unless Miami becomes very, very, short-sighted.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston Empty Re: Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:39 pm

NYCelt wrote:I can't imagine there is any way Miami would part with Winslow, not even for front court help to cover for Bosh.

If so, and there were any way to get him, I'd give them almost anything they want in return.  If it's immediate help they need, the first pick from the Nets may or may not be on the table, but I'd consider it.  Winslow would be much more valuable to us than anyone coming out in this years draft.  Think I'd hang on to IT, Bradley and Smart if possible, and maybe our own first pick.  Although if needed in order to get it done, I'd give up one of those three guards.

Really??? You'd give up a pretty much guaranteed top 5 pick (and easily higher) for last year's #9?? For a guy who so far is not really lighting it up??? I would think we can get him for a lot less....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I can't imagine there is any way Miami would part with Winslow, not even for front court help to cover for Bosh.

Really??? You'd give up a pretty much guaranteed top 5 pick (and easily higher) for last year's #9?? For a guy who so far is not really lighting it up??? I would think we can get him for a lot less....

Shamrock,

In a heartbeat.

Winslow is going to be be an outstanding SF, and would fit in well here.

No one like him in this year's draft, although Ingram may come close.

Like I said, however, I don't think Miami is dumb enough to part with him.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:59 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

Shamrock,

In a heartbeat.

Winslow is going to be be an outstanding SF, and would fit in well as the scorer we need.

Regards

Thanks for following up NYCELT. I really haven't seen him play, so I should probably keep my mouth shut. Your positive comments have me intrigued though - I will have to check him out....

Lets hope though that Danny does not need to give up the Brooklyn pick for him...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

Shamrock,

In a heartbeat.

Winslow is going to be be an outstanding SF, and would fit in well as the scorer we need.

Regards

Thanks for following up NYCELT. I really haven't seen him play, so I should probably keep my mouth shut. Your positive comments have me intrigued though - I will have to check him out....

Lets hope though that Danny does not need to give up the Brooklyn pick for him...

No thanks needed; always a pleasure chatting with you.

I don't think we've seen all that Winslow is capable of yet. I don't think the Heat have used him wisely or enough. Having to sit behind Luol Deng is certainly part of the issue holding Winslow back.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 pm

You guys are way overrating Winslow.

If Winslow reaches all of his potential, and actually develops a 3 point shot (unlikely), he'll look exactly like Jae Crowder does now.

Just because Danny was irrationally high on Winslow, and didn't see Crowder's emergence coming, doesn't mean Winslow is some amazing prospect.

There's a reason he was drafted so low. His 3 pt % in college was inflated by low number of shot attempts, only shooting when he was wide open.
His complete lack of a mid-range game in college, and his poor FT%, were the big clues that his shooting was overrated.

No way Danny tries to trade an arm and a leg now for a guy who is a poor man's Jae Crowder, especially with Marcus Smart fully able to man the SF spot, and able to shoot 3s, dribble, and pass better than Winslow.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:30 pm

arambone wrote:You guys are way overrating Winslow.

If Winslow reaches all of his potential, and actually develops a 3 point shot (unlikely), he'll look exactly like Jae Crowder does now.

Just because Danny was irrationally high on Winslow, and didn't see Crowder's emergence coming, doesn't mean Winslow is some amazing prospect.

There's a reason he was drafted so low. His 3 pt % in college was inflated by low number of shot attempts, only shooting when he was wide open.
His complete lack of a mid-range game in college, and his poor FT%, were the big clues that his shooting was overrated.

No way Danny tries to trade an arm and a leg now for a guy who is a poor man's Jae Crowder, especially with Marcus Smart fully able to man the SF spot, and able to shoot 3s, dribble, and pass better than Winslow.

are you the poster formally known as rambone?? good to have you back...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Ainge will not and should not give up Brooklyns #1 for Winslow.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:01 pm

I think a couple of you gentlemen are either way under rating Winslow, or way over rating Crowder.

I've been a Marcus Smart fan since his days in Stillwater, but he and Winslow are very different players at the 3, with Smart better suited to be an NBA 2 long term.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:00 am

Winslow is a natural 3 that can play the 4 in a small ball line up just like he did in college. I agree with NY Celt that in his rookie year, your only scratching his surface, he is much more athletic than Crowder and Winslow's offense will come around.

Smart is a combo guard that can defend either position at a very high level, but can only play the 3 in limited minutes. Smarts offense is growing by leaps and bounds.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 am

I am a fan of Winslow but no way He is worth the Nets pick.

He may become a good player but he does not appear to have elite level skills or athleticism.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 am

Justise Winslow is not walking through that door. If he does, and the Brooklyn pick isn't heading south, Pat Riley will be run out of South Beach on a rail.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 am

It's really hard to project how good Winslow will be offensively. His numbers so far are less than inspiring -- 5.7 points, 41.8 FG%, and 25.8 3PT% in 27.8 minutes per game (at least he's getting an opportunity to play). In 50 games, he's had seven with double figures in points, with a high of 13.

Maybe he'll improve dramatically in a few years to be a productive offensive player. Draymond Green had similarly unimpressive numbers his rookie season, and now he's an all-star. But that type of improvement is hardly assured, and Winslow is far more likely to be a role player offensively, not a star.

He can play defense, and he has the body type, skills, and attitude to guard multiple positions, which is a valued commodity these days. He'd fit in well with Stevens' defensive schemes.

The trick is to find a guy with those defensive skills who can also shoot, especially the three. Is it worth the Nets pick to bet that Winslow would develop into that type of player? Assuming that Miami would part with him for a big plus a pick, it seems like a reasonable gamble to make on Ainge's part. But man, the Celtics sure could use a wing who can score.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01 am

I am not a fan of holding onto the Nets pick this year just to try to beat the odds that this pick will fall into the top three picks of the draft, but I would also not trade it for Winslow at this time in his career.

The Cs need to do better than Winslow if they do, indeed, trade the Nets pick and "better" means getting either a young center or at least an already proven wing type player with either guy being able to help in the second half of this season and also in future seasons.

Winslow may not even get significant playing time in the last 25 games of the year if the Cs continue to hang out in third place and he is not going to be able to help another free agent swing into the Celtics view during the summer.

If he (Winslow) were getting 13-14 points and 8 boards per game in his 25 minutes of playing time in Miami, I might reconsider

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:21 pm

dboss wrote:I am a fan of Winslow but no way He is worth the Nets pick.

He may become a good player but he does not appear to have elite level skills  or athleticism.

Dboss

Dboss,

Finally!

Something you and I see differently.

Probably a good thing, too. I think people were starting to wonder if we were co-conspirators here.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:

He may become a good player but he does not appear to have elite level skills  or athleticism.

Dboss

Dboss,

Finally!

Probably a good thing, too.  I think people were starting to wonder if we were co-conspirators here.

Regards

Has anybody else noticed you never see dboss and NYCelt together at the same time?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Dboss

Dboss,

Finally!

Probably a good thing, too.  I think people were starting to wonder if we were co-conspirators here.

Regards

Has anybody else noticed you never see dboss and NYCelt together at the same time?

bob

That's just what Lois Lane said about Clark Kent and Superman!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47 pm

beat wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Dboss

Dboss,

Finally!

Regards

bob

beat

beat,

Has anybody else noticed we've never seen dboss and NYCelt together at the same time as Clark Kent and Superman?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:
beat wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Dboss

Dboss,

Finally!

Regards

bob

beat

beat,

Has anybody else noticed we've never seen dboss and NYCelt together at the same time as Clark Kent and Superman?

bob

Just in case you're wondering, there is a recent photo of Dboss circulating around...

Bosh's illness may lead Justise Winslow to Boston Th10

...I was not there when it was taken.

I will offer up a suggestion.  If he says a given trade is a good idea, just go along with it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:11 pm

If I drink enough, I suppose I could see two NYCelts, two dbosses, Superman, Clark Kent, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I doubt anyone will see Superman or Winslow showing up in a Celtics uniform. Trade deadline is in less than 19 hours.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm

worcester wrote:I doubt anyone will see Superman or Winslow showing up in a Celtics uniform. Trade deadline is in less than 19 hours.

W -

Better chance of Superman.

Riley and The Heat aren't dumb enough to part with Winslow.

But I hear Superman has asked for a trade.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Isn't Kryptonite green?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:32 pm

worcester wrote:Isn't Kryptonite green?

Good point.

I had overlooked that one.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next