Jordan Mickey has arrived

2 posters

Go down

Jordan Mickey has arrived Empty Jordan Mickey has arrived

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/3/1/11137588/jordan-mickey-has-arrived-boston-celtics

Jordan Mickey has arrived

By wjsy on Mar 1, 2016, 8:00a 8

Jordan Mickey has arrived GettyImages-513157216.0
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
The Jordan Mickey hype train finally made its stop at TD Garden.

When Jordan Mickey checked in for his most substantial minutes to date as a Celtic, Boston was down 11 to Utah.  It's not exactly the most ideal situation for a rookie to get playing time, but according to Brad Stevens, he texted Mickey earlier in the day to tell him to "be ready."  Sounds like Commissioner Gordon lighting up the Bat-Signal for Swatman.  (I apologize.)

In over 7 minutes of play, Mickey finished the game a plus-7 and helped cut a 13-point lead down to 2.  The 3 point, 3 rebound, and 2 block stat line doesn't look impressive, but the rookie rarely made mistakes, especially on the defensive end.  The kid has a reputation of blocking shots, so let's lead with that:

Jordan Mickey has arrived Mickey_blocks.0

But he's also a pretty good face up defender.  Here, he doubles briefly down on Derrick Favors, quickly recovers on Trey Lyles, moves his feet and stays in front of Lyle's drive, and contests the shot.  With all the switching that the Celtics do on defense, he's going to have to be able to defend bigger 4's and more importantly, quicker 3's so this is a promising sign:

Jordan Mickey has arrived Mickey_D_on_Lyles.0

Mickey's only bucket came on a hustle play where he helped generate a turnover when Marcus Smart tied up Rudy Gobert, there's a scrum for the loose ball, and Crowder found Mickey for the loud flush:

Jordan Mickey has arrived VyefAePVoDaGNod6

Boston Celtics ✔ ‎@celtics
Brad Stevens wants the C's to out-hustle their opponents night-in, night-out. Seems like they got the message:
5:25 PM - 29 Feb 2016
 333 333 Retweets   503 503

We didn't get a chance to see everything that Kevin outlined hon Mickey's development down in the D-League, but this is the normal progression for late first rounders and second round picks.  Rookies have to take advantage of these small opportunities to prove that they can make a difference in a game.  Last night, Stevens remarked, "I just thought we needed a boost, and I thought that every time we've put him in he's blocked a shot."  He blocked two against the Jazz that sparked the first half comeback.

Mickey will get a chance next season to show that he can be effective for longer stretches, but tonight might have earned him more playing time in the team's final 20+ games.  Kelly Olynyk's separated shoulder coupled with David Lee's buyout should afford him some PT, but it will be interesting to see is how Stevens' chooses to use Mickey going forward.  Tyler Zeller has backed up Amir Johnson since returning to the rotation and Jonas Jerebko has served as the team's versatile big off the bench all year, but neither are rim protectors.  At 6'8, Mickey doesn't look like your prototypical defensive anchor, but he's mobile enough to ICE picks and help on the weak side.

And if you didn't catch it, here's a nice piece from CSNNE.com on how Mickey embraced his time with the Red Claws but is ready to contribute with the big club:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/deep-green-mickey-clawing-his-way-boston?guid=mickeygrinding22716&t=81

Is it just me or does Mickey remind anybody of Ed Pinckney?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jordan Mickey has arrived Empty Re: Jordan Mickey has arrived

Post by dboss Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Mickey has been patiently waiting for a chance to play.  It is very important that he gets a chance to play this year.  

If a big gets injured it is good to have a guy to plug in.  Sully will hit free agency this summer and the Celtics have to make a decision about him.  If Mickey can prove that he is ready, it makes it much easier to move Sully.  The Celtics need to add a big physical center.  Maybe Sully gets traded.  If he does the Celts need to bring in a physical rebounder.

Mickey played well last night in limited minutes.  But when KO comes back those minutes may disappear although I can see him used as a specialty player to match up with quicker PF's and maybe even some small ball center.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm

dboss wrote:Mickey has been patiently waiting for a chance to play.  It is very important that he gets a chance to play this year.  

If a big gets injured it is good to have a guy to plug in.  Sully will hit free agency this summer and the Celtics have to make a decision about him.  If Mickey can prove that he is ready, it makes it much easier to move Sully.  The Celtics need to add a big physical center.  Maybe Sully gets traded.  If he does the Celts need to bring in a physical rebounder.

Mickey played well last night in limited minutes.  But when KO comes back those minutes may disappear although I can see him used as a specialty player to match up with quicker PF's and maybe even some small ball center.

dboss

dboss,

I agree. I think it is important that he plays too, especially with all you said about Sully's contract situation. Having said that, I don't see him playing a lot either because Brad wants to win and that means he's going to go with the players he is most comfortable with in his schemes and that would put Kelly ahead of Mickey on the depth chart.

An injury to another big, like Sully or Zeller or Amir, and then he'll get his chance again.

Every time Mickey has been put into a game, and before last night it was always in garbage time, he has produced quickly. Last night he produced during prime time.

I would be drooling like a St. Bernard if he was 3" taller, but he is still looking very, very promising. He has "another Serge Ibaka" written all over him. In fact, I think his jumper is more advanced at this point of his career than Ibaka's was as a rookie.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down