Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks Empty Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/07/jordan_mickey_s_new_kid_on_blocks

Jordan Mickey’s new kid on blocks

Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks 16CsMickey
Photo by: AP photo
BIG PRESENCE: Celtics rookie Jordan Mickey (right), going up to block San Antonio’s Shannon Scott last Thursday in Salt Lake City, is making a name for himself as a rim protector this summer.

Thursday, July 16, 2015
By:  Mark Murphy

LAS VEGAS — A big part of Jordan Mickey’s game at LSU involved security, letting his teammates know that he had their backs in the defensive end.

The Celtics’ 6-foot-8 rookie is spreading that same sense now in the NBA summer league.

“Real good. He makes you look good even when you get beat,” said fellow rookie R.J. Hunter. “He’s playing really well. He’s active, he’s making shots, he’s a helluva player.”

Mickey, with an average of three blocks per game, is in a three-way tie for the lead in the Las Vegas summer league after finishing tied for third (2.9 rpg) last week in the Utah circuit.

He’s also relieved. As one of the most traveled players during pre-draft workout season, Mickey was admittedly thrown off his rhythm.

Normally a shot blocker with uncommonly good timing, the rejections generally didn’t come during his workouts.

“Coming out of college you’re used to timing and everything. During the pre-draft process I kind of fell off a bit, and I noticed that early on when we started playing,” said Mickey. “It took time to get back into the groove, playing 5-on-5.

“In the draft workouts you’re mostly doing 3-on-3,” he said. “There’s not a lot of 5-on-5. You really can’t block shots in 3-on-3. The other team is going to score. But I’ve been able to get back into that groove of blocking shots.

“I knew it would come back eventually, and I’d get into the flow of it.”

Mickey, selected in the second round of the draft (No. 33 overall), has actually found the flow in several areas. He’s averaging a double-double at 12.7 points and 10.7 rebounds. He’s shooting 55.2 percent, but his free throw shooting (54.5 percent) needs work.

In the realm of summer league rookies, where the matter of basketball IQ can be severely tested, Mickey’s ability to grasp concepts has impressed the coaching staff.

“He’s picked things up quickly, almost like a sponge,” said Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry, who is coaching the summer league team this week. “We watched a lot of film early on in practice, and you weren’t sure at first if he grasped it.

“Everything was totally new to him,” he said. “But to watch him now, the way he’s stopping the ball, now he’s coming from the weak side and blocking shots. He’s playing with more instincts now instead of thinking. It’s been impressive.”

Though the Celtics have also added veteran power forward Amir Johnson to the frontcourt because of his versatility, they remain short on rim protectors, and especially rim-protecting centers.

Simply put, the Celtics don’t have any. Johnson and Mickey will both be asked to provide that ability out of the power forward postion.

“He is a different player than we have had,” Shrewsberry said of Mickey. “It does make a difference when you have someone back there who people are thinking about when they drive to the basket. He does have great bounce — really quick off his feet, long arms too and great timing.”

All it took for Mickey was a steady summer league run for those shot blocking instincts to return.

“You could see that,” Shrewsberry said of the drop-off in Mickey’s shot blocking during his workout with the Celtics. “It’s hard. He’s flying cross-country and he and Terry (Rozier, the team’s top pick) worked out more than anybody in this draft.

“It took a little bit of a toll on his legs, but now he’s bounced back pretty quickly. He’s playing off instincts. He’s bouncing off the floor, he has great timing. He’s challenging shots and then he can bounce back up and get the rebound also.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Maybe it's because he has the potential to fill the most glaring hole on our roster but I have been watching Mighty Mouse very carefully over the past however many games (I was going to focus on Iverson for the same reason but...). He's taken a few bad shots but other than those everything he has done, so far, has been solid. I understand we are "far apart" on a few things contractually. I'm betting it works out.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks Empty Re: Jordan Mickey's New Kid On Blocks

Post by dboss Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am

While a lot of attention is being paid to his shot block total he has also shown the ability to deter opponents from getting the shot that they want. That as Sam has pointed out is a component of the rim protection process.

I really like his defense overall and I also think he can develop into a solid mid-range shooter. He has a great feel for the game runs the high P & R well and also has shown the ability to beat his man up the court. Overall a very solid player with a very high basketball IQ. He is a perfect fit for what this team needs.

Sign em up Danny...even if it requires some guarantees in his contract.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 am

And, if he can develop into a solid mid-range shooter, there's no reason why a diligent young man can't elevate his free throw percentage into the 70s.

Although I'm excited about the prospect of having some rim protection at the PF spot, it's not the same as having it at the center position. Because part of the rim-protecting job of a center is to limit the opposing center's offense, because the opposing center is the player who is closest to said rim.

What I find most amazing about The Mousketeer's performance so far is the percentage of his minutes in which he's guarded the opposing center. I'm not implying, in any way, that he could possibly be counted on as center material in the NBA; I just think it's quite a feat in the Summer League, and it adds to the luster of his play.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 am

Sam

I think this is a situation where having a player that has to play out of position can really mask how effective that player can be. You have made reference to this before as well as the fact that rim protection is not just having a guy who can block or alter shots. A big part of rim protection involves matching the level of physical strength.

Mickey just does not have the mass to check those bull type centers that want to push their way into the post.

Has anyone seen anything about Asik?

As you know he has a lot of mass but is not that quick. However he is a big body and has the experience to help this team. I think a sign and trade is probably one of Danny's options for acquiring his services. Have the Celtics used that $10 plus million dollar trade exception yet?

Anyone?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47 am

dboss wrote:Sam

I think this is a situation where having a player that has to play out of position can really mask how effective that player can be.  You have made reference to this before as well as the fact that rim protection is not just having a guy who can block or alter shots.  A big part of rim protection involves matching the level of physical strength.

Mickey just does not have the mass to check those bull type centers that want to push their way into the post.  

Has anyone seen anything about Asik?

As you know he has a lot of mass but is not that quick.  However he is a big body and has the experience to help this team.  I think a sign and trade is probably one of Danny's options for acquiring his services.  Have the Celtics used that $10 plus million dollar trade exception yet?

Anyone?

dboss

Asik has or will be re-signing with New Orleans for 5 years at $58m.

Boston had to forfeit all of their trade exceptions when they went under the salary cap to sign Johnson and Jerebko.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks TJ

What are the chances that we could pry Gorgui Dieng away from MN? It seems to me that MN may be the only team willing and able to part with a center. Nikola Pekovic would be a lesser desirable option ($12,100,000 $12,100,000 $11,600,000)

Dieng has a very favorable contract ($1,474,440 $2,348,782 $3,384,5960 so Boston would have to sweeten the deal. If Danny could pull off a deal like this everything bad I have said about him will be forgotten (at least until he screws up again...lol)

I guess the really sad thing is that Dieng could have been in a Celtic's uniform already. Many on the board lobbied for him to be drafted but instead Danny choose the Jurasic park option.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:40 pm

I said it on draft night but Mickey isn't some big step down from WCS. And being 6'8" is probably a big advantage as far as blocking shots. When his legs are bent he's very low to the ground, and players think they have plenty of space to get their shot off.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

dboss wrote:Thanks TJ

What are the chances that we could pry Gorgui Dieng away from MN?  It seems to me that MN may be the only team willing and able to part with a center.  Nikola Pekovic would be a lesser desirable option ($12,100,000  $12,100,000  $11,600,000)

Dieng has a very favorable contract ($1,474,440  $2,348,782  $3,384,5960 so Boston would have to sweeten the deal.  If Danny could pull off a deal like this everything bad I have said about him will be forgotten (at least until he screws up again...lol)

I guess the really sad thing is that Dieng could have been in a Celtic's uniform already.  Many on the board lobbied for him to be drafted but instead Danny choose the Jurasic park option.

dboss

Dieng is softer than Kelly Olynyk. Olynyk is already the more impactful player as far as winning, and Mickey could put up the same stats as Dieng if he played center.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:38 pm

What are the chances that we could pry Gorgui Dieng away from MN?  It seems to me that MN may be the only team willing and able to part with a center.  Nikola Pekovic would be a lesser desirable option ($12,100,000  $12,100,000  $11,600,000)

Dieng has a very favorable contract ($1,474,440  $2,348,782  $3,384,5960 so Boston would have to sweeten the deal.  If Danny could pull off a deal like this everything bad I have said about him will be forgotten (at least until he screws up again...lol)

I guess the really sad thing is that Dieng could have been in a Celtic's uniform already.  Many on the board lobbied for him to be drafted but instead Danny choose the Jurasic park option.

dboss

dboss,

I found this article, by a Minny blogger, about Dieng.  It's written in 6/15, so it's recent.  He's listed as the #4 option on the Wolves.  This makes sense on a team with Towns, KG (for another TWO years) and Pekovic.  Read it all the way through.  After reading it I was less enthralled with Dieng than I was when I started.

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2015/06/2014-15-roster-review-gorgui-dieng/

2014-15 Roster Review: Gorgui Dieng

Posted by William Bohl Posted on June 12, 2015 2015 Offseason, Roster Review 1 Comment.
DIENG

For all intents and purposes, there were only four players who had mostly healthy, full seasons for the Timberwolves in 2014-15: Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, Chase Budinger and Gorgui Dieng. The two rookies (Wiggins and LaVine) had their ups and downs, but appear destined for bigger and brighter things in the near future. The veteran (Budinger) overcame a disappointing start and inconsistent playing time to put together a solid final month and a half, which is important for his future, as his contract is up following the 2015-16 season.

Then there’s Dieng. The second-year man out of Louisville didn’t particuarly stand out in either or positive or negative ways this past season. He isn’t playing for a spot in the league (he certainly belongs). He isn’t on the verge of an imminent contract extension (he’s under team control through 2016-17 at $3.8 million). Unlike Wiggins (and to a lesser extent LaVine), Dieng probably isn’t on the cusp of catapulting into superstardom (at 25, he’s easily the oldest player from his draft class, and is in many ways a finished product).

What he is is a very solid big man, both literally (6’11, 245 pounds) and figuratively (if he’s your third or fourth big, your frontcourt depth is probably exceptional). In 73 games and 2,193 minutes (second on the team), Dieng averaged 9.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.7 blocks on 51% field goal shooting and 78% shooting from the free throw line. The quiet but supremely confident Dieng joined Wiggins, LaVine and Shabazz Muhammad in the Rising Stars Game at All-Star Weekend in New York, giving the Timberwolves an unprecedented four players in the event. His season was ended prematurely when he suffered a head injury versus the Pelicans on March 29th.

Dieng’s two main skills during his rookie season were rebounding and rim protection. Looking at the numbers, he appears to have declined in both areas during his sophomore campaign. While the dip in the Dieng’s raw rebounding stats (13.2 rebounds per-36 minutes in 2013-14 compared to 10.0 rebounds per-36 in 2014-15) can be explained, in part, by the Wolves’ abysmal defense (if your opponent makes shots at the highest rate in the league, there are fewer boards to collect), it doesn’t account for the drop in his rebounding rate, which calculates Gorgui’s ability to grab the percentage of rebounds available. That figure dropped from 20.0% to 15.9%.

One thing that can be partially explained away are Dieng’s lackluster rim-protection stats. While he was occasionally late on rotations and prone to recklessly hunting for blocks, Dieng was paid no favors by the abysmal perimeter defense in front of him (read also: Zach LaVine), which often allowed ballhandlers to gain a head of steam before meeting him in the paint. Only one player in the league (Pau Gasol) contested more shots at the rim on a game-to-game basis than Dieng’s 10.2, of which 55.8% found the bottom of the net. During his rookie season, that figure was 51.5%, which is still far from elite, but closer to the profile of a defensive-minded big off the bench.

Interestingly enough, while most observers pigeonhole Dieng as a defender, he seems to have a high degree of confidence in his own offensive skill, with mixed results. He was a decent post player who led the team in elbow touches and displayed a nuanced understanding of how and when to pass the ball in halfcourt situations. He showed soft touch on midrange jumpers, including a particularly sweet tendency to kiss the ball off the glass on bank shots from the elbow. However, he was a tad turnover prone, finishing in the top 15% of the league in turnover ratio. Dieng also struggled to finish around the rim, particularly on offensive rebounds, where could be a bit myopic; instead of kicking the ball back out to reset the offense, Gorgui often tried to put it back up himself, without much success. A brief statistical summary of his offensive output:

Gorgui Dieng Chart

All in all, the Wolves were better when Dieng was on the floor than when he was on the bench, something that few of the team’s young players (and even a couple of surprising veterans) can boast. But what is his role going forward, particularly with the glut of bigs on the roster – not to mention the incoming top overall pick, who is likely to play the same position he does?

It’s possible Dieng is trade bait; a solid big man with a team-friendly deal is a valuable commodity. But since there’s really no rush to deal him, the right offer would have to fall into the Wolves’ lap, which seems somewhat unlikely. A big man rotation of Karl-Anthony Towns (or Jahlil Okafor) plus Dieng, Kevin Garnett, Adreian Payne and whatever is left of Nikola Pekovic sounds like a pretty good mix of skill sets, ages and salaries in the front court.

It’ll be important for Dieng to be ready for a training camp battle – if for no other reason than Kevin Garnett will likely be present – because he’s going to have to earn his minutes come October. While his 2014-15 season was somewhat underwhelming, it’s possible that a return to overall team health with raise Gorgui’s play along with it. If that’s the case, look for him to be an important player for the Woves in 2015-16.

Share this because Rubio would pass this along:

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:46 pm

"Dieng is softer than Kelly Olynyk"

really?  Kelly is so soft that if he took a nap at Jordan's Furniture someone would mistake him for a mattress

Dieng is a better rebounder and shot blocker.  Kelly is listed as a center but he cannot play center.  Kelly is actually a stretch 5 but only because he is a 7 footer.

Dieng is an actual center.

Kelly may be the most pitiful center in the NBA.  When players see him in the post area they go right at him.  He gets dunked on more than my morning donut routine.  He cannot rebound out of space.  He has slow lateral movement and is a big liability in P and R defense.

Let's not pretend that Kelly is a center.

Please stop making stuff up.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:

dboss

dboss,

I found this article, by a Minny blogger, about Dieng.  It's written in 6/15, so it's recent.  He's listed as the #4 option on the Wolves.  This makes sense on a team with Towns, KG (for another TWO years) and Pekovic.  Read it all the way through.  After reading it I was less enthralled with Dieng than I was when I started.

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2015/06/2014-15-roster-review-gorgui-dieng/

2014-15 Roster Review: Gorgui Dieng

Posted by William Bohl Posted on June 12, 2015 2015 Offseason, Roster Review 1 Comment.
DIENG

For all intents and purposes, there were only four players who had mostly healthy, full seasons for the Timberwolves in 2014-15: Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, Chase Budinger and Gorgui Dieng. The two rookies (Wiggins and LaVine) had their ups and downs, but appear destined for bigger and brighter things in the near future. The veteran (Budinger) overcame a disappointing start and inconsistent playing time to put together a solid final month and a half, which is important for his future, as his contract is up following the 2015-16 season.

Then there’s Dieng. The second-year man out of Louisville didn’t particuarly stand out in either or positive or negative ways this past season. He isn’t playing for a spot in the league (he certainly belongs). He isn’t on the verge of an imminent contract extension (he’s under team control through 2016-17 at $3.8 million). Unlike Wiggins (and to a lesser extent LaVine), Dieng probably isn’t on the cusp of catapulting into superstardom (at 25, he’s easily the oldest player from his draft class, and is in many ways a finished product).

What he is is a very solid big man, both literally (6’11, 245 pounds) and figuratively (if he’s your third or fourth big, your frontcourt depth is probably exceptional). In 73 games and 2,193 minutes (second on the team), Dieng averaged 9.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.7 blocks on 51% field goal shooting and 78% shooting from the free throw line. The quiet but supremely confident Dieng joined Wiggins, LaVine and Shabazz Muhammad in the Rising Stars Game at All-Star Weekend in New York, giving the Timberwolves an unprecedented four players in the event. His season was ended prematurely when he suffered a head injury versus the Pelicans on March 29th.

Dieng’s two main skills during his rookie season were rebounding and rim protection. Looking at the numbers, he appears to have declined in both areas during his sophomore campaign. While the dip in the Dieng’s raw rebounding stats (13.2 rebounds per-36 minutes in 2013-14 compared to 10.0 rebounds per-36 in 2014-15) can be explained, in part, by the Wolves’ abysmal defense (if your opponent makes shots at the highest rate in the league, there are fewer boards to collect), it doesn’t account for the drop in his rebounding rate, which calculates Gorgui’s ability to grab the percentage of rebounds available. That figure dropped from 20.0% to 15.9%.

One thing that can be partially explained away are Dieng’s lackluster rim-protection stats. While he was occasionally late on rotations and prone to recklessly hunting for blocks, Dieng was paid no favors by the abysmal perimeter defense in front of him (read also: Zach LaVine), which often allowed ballhandlers to gain a head of steam before meeting him in the paint. Only one player in the league (Pau Gasol) contested more shots at the rim on a game-to-game basis than Dieng’s 10.2, of which 55.8% found the bottom of the net. During his rookie season, that figure was 51.5%, which is still far from elite, but closer to the profile of a defensive-minded big off the bench.

Interestingly enough, while most observers pigeonhole Dieng as a defender, he seems to have a high degree of confidence in his own offensive skill, with mixed results. He was a decent post player who led the team in elbow touches and displayed a nuanced understanding of how and when to pass the ball in halfcourt situations. He showed soft touch on midrange jumpers, including a particularly sweet tendency to kiss the ball off the glass on bank shots from the elbow. However, he was a tad turnover prone, finishing in the top 15% of the league in turnover ratio. Dieng also struggled to finish around the rim, particularly on offensive rebounds, where could be a bit myopic; instead of kicking the ball back out to reset the offense, Gorgui often tried to put it back up himself, without much success. A brief statistical summary of his offensive output:

Gorgui Dieng Chart

All in all, the Wolves were better when Dieng was on the floor than when he was on the bench, something that few of the team’s young players (and even a couple of surprising veterans) can boast. But what is his role going forward, particularly with the glut of bigs on the roster – not to mention the incoming top overall pick, who is likely to play the same position he does?

It’s possible Dieng is trade bait; a solid big man with a team-friendly deal is a valuable commodity. But since there’s really no rush to deal him, the right offer would have to fall into the Wolves’ lap, which seems somewhat unlikely. A big man rotation of Karl-Anthony Towns (or Jahlil Okafor) plus Dieng, Kevin Garnett, Adreian Payne and whatever is left of Nikola Pekovic sounds like a pretty good mix of skill sets, ages and salaries in the front court.

It’ll be important for Dieng to be ready for a training camp battle – if for no other reason than Kevin Garnett will likely be present – because he’s going to have to earn his minutes come October. While his 2014-15 season was somewhat underwhelming, it’s possible that a return to overall team health with raise Gorgui’s play along with it. If that’s the case, look for him to be an important player for the Woves in 2015-16.

Share this because Rubio would pass this along:

bob

Bob

as usual you seem to get your hands on a wealth of information

Thanks for sharing.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Both Kelly and Sully are this close | | to being lame ducks on the Celtics. They're not centers, and they don't fit the mold of athletic, defensively-minded PFs that the Celtics seem to be establishing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Kelly .... gets dunked on more than my morning donut routine.  He cannot rebound out of space.  He has slow lateral movement and is a big liability in P and R defense.

Let's not pretend that Kelly is a center.

DBoss...SNL could use another good comedy writer. Keep the jokes coming.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 pm

SNL. Hey, I know that one!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down