Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested

3 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested Empty Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am

NBC SPORTS

By Sean Highkin

In the aftermath of the trade deadline, there has been chatter that Celtics GM Danny Ainge was on the cusp of making a big deal for a major player involving the Nets’ unprotected 2016 first-round pick. Jahlil Okafor‘s name as come up as a potential target, as has (much less realistically) Anthony Davis. Now, we can add another name to the list of mystery players.

The Boston Herald‘s Steve Bulpett reports that the Celtics called the Bulls about two-time All-Star Jimmy Butler:

One of those stars whose profile intrigued the Celtics didn’t get to play in that game because of a strained knee. It’s been said that Chicago’s Jimmy Butler would be a good fit here, but multiple sources are telling the Herald that the Celts did, in fact, make a strong move for the 6-foot-7 wing.

According to one source that had at least one player who could have been involved in the potential transaction, the Celtics were willing to give up two first-round draft picks this year — the unprotected pick from the Nets and Dallas’ choice, which is protected 1-through-7.

The Chicago Tribune‘s K.C. Johnson followed up on that report, saying the Bulls didn’t show much interest in trading Butler:

These developments are to be expected on both sides. If you’re Ainge, and you have this war chest of attractive assets to play with, why wouldn’t you at least make the call about someone of Butler’s caliber? The Celtics have set themselves up to have the pieces to trade for the next star that comes available, so there’s no reason not to be aggressive in pursuing one.

On the Bulls’ side, this is a roster in flux and in search of an identity. But Butler, a two-way All-Star at 26 years old locked into a five-year contract, is the one piece that’s a no-brainer to keep around long-term. The Bulls would have to be absolutely blown away with an offer to seriously consider parting with Butler, and the Celtics didn’t do that. You can’t blame them for trying, though.

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested Empty Re: Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:18 am

Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler

teams are not going to trade YOUNG stars under more than a one year deal, unless they are injured or a problem in some way.

I understand why Danny makes the calls, but it isn't happening.

when Danny got KG he was 31 his first year here and Allen was 32.

nobody gives away stars in their 20's , unless there is a big problem.

but I bet Danny called every GM in the league about EVERY star player under 30 also....LOL.

Just in case.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested Empty Re: Report: Celtics tried to trade for Jimmy Butler, Bulls weren’t interested

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am

kdp59 wrote:Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler

teams are not going to trade YOUNG stars under more than a one year deal, unless they are injured or a problem in some way.

I understand why Danny makes the calls, but it isn't happening.

when Danny got KG he was 31 his first year here and Allen was 32.

nobody gives away stars in their 20's , unless there is a big problem.

but I bet Danny called every GM in the league about EVERY star player under 30 also....LOL.

Just in case.

kdp,

I think you did a masterful job of nailing this issue. NOBODY will trade a young, healthy star for non-stars unless there are issues. If Chicago was willing to trade Butler, and I do NOT think they are/would, it would be for a high quality big man to replace the ancient Pau Gasol and injured Noah. Swapping Butler out for another guard, or even a wing, makes no sense.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down