76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason

+3
tjmakz
Matty
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason Empty 76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241345/76ers-Could-Look-To-Trade-Jahlil-Okafor-In-Offseason

76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason

By:  KEITH POMPEY/PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

MAR 27, 2016 1:17 PM

If Joel Embiid is healthy this summer, the belief is the Philadelphia 76ers will try to trade Jahlil Okafor this summer. If he isn't, the 76ers will have to choose between Okafor and Nerlens Noel.

Okafor and Embiid are an unlikely pairing as they both will have liabilities defending athletic power forwards.

The Boston Herald had reported that the Sixers had a deal in place to trade Okafor to the Boston Celtics at the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

Okafor and Noel have struggled to coexist as well.

bob
MY NOTE:  We heard this rumor at the trade deadline.  If either Okafur or Noel becomes available (Okafur becomes available because Embiid is healthy, Noel becomes available because Embiid is not and the 76er front court players are incompatible), who would you rather have?  Okafur, who is a low post offensive threat but not a great defender NOR has any outside offense at all and does not run the floor; or Noel, who has very limited offensive skills from almost anywhere on the court, which would mean our offense, that already shoots at a low %, with him would be 4-on-5, but looks like he runs pretty well and is a very good shot blocker?  

Consider, also, who we would have to give up to get either of them.  I believe that Sully would almost certainly be in the package.  He's a restricted free agent and, if it is Okafur that is being dealt, Sully is an Okafur-like baby Brahma Bull type of player with better range on his offense, which would make him more compatible with Noel.  If Noel is being dealt then maybe they will want Kelly.  I don't know if Danny would give up Kelly, who fits into the space-and-pace system, for Noel, who does not create space.  Then there is the question of draft picks.  Which draft picks would you give up for either of these players.

We are a few weeks away from the playoffs, which is a nice place to be so soon after a total gutting of the team, and the off-season is starting to look very attractive too.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason Empty Re: 76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason

Post by Matty Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am

I really liked Oaky during the one game I got to see him and have tried to keep up on his doings ever since.... and oh man do we have a butt load of draft picks..

Sooo we keep the Nets pick but offer up our own, and the mavs first... we could even use those second rounders we have (4) to attempt to move up somewhat in the draft with the mavs and our picks then make those deals with philly

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason Empty Re: 76ers Could Look To Trade Jahlil Okafor In Offseason

Post by tjmakz Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 pm

If Boston doesn't have a top 3 pick, I don't see a trade for Okafor as realistic unless Philly really loves Dunn from Providence and Boston trades the #4 or #5 pick in a package for Okafor.
Philly really needs a point guard.
I doubt Smart would be an attractive piece for Philly as the key part of a trade because it's doubtful he will ever be a starting point guard.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm

I could be very wrong, but I think that I would take Noel rather than Okafor from Philly if both were available.
Probably would not want to part with the Nets pick for either, but Sullinger (sign and trade) and the Mavs pick and a pair of number 2s would work for me

Noel is not a smooth nor proven offensive player, but he already plays much better defense than Okafor. He is so much more athletic as well, and I think that he can be taught to be a 'good enough' offensive player where I am not sure that Okafor will ever be much of a defensive player.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:41 pm

I cannot imagine the Sixers needing or wanting another draft pick

I like Okafor but he is NO rim protector. Think he has done well his first year at 17 and 7

I think he will be a 20/10 within the next year or so. Even though he is not a rim protector i would consider him if we could also move Sully in the deal.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Noel only has one more year on his rookie contract.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing Rambone.

Noel makes more sense in Brad's system, but he COULD be a one year rental only. Though Noel does have local ties.

IF the trade deadline rumor is true that Danny was asking about Okafor, then I am sure he will look at him again if Philly is open to moving him.

and yes he and Sully would seem redundant.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 pm

The theme I am seeing here is that the Celtics front line needs some upgrading.

I have 2 keepers between our stable of 4/5's.

Ko and Mickey.

At the right price Amir contributes. But he is no keeper. If Zeller ir Sully are atill on the team next year there will be more upgrade needed.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Back to Okafor.

For a 20 year old kid to put up 17/7 in his rookie year is pretty damn impressive.

Noel has yet to really impress me which is evidenced by the lack of media attention he gets. But I would take him over Sully ...no doubt.

Does anyone like Brice Johnson as a potential replacement? I love high energy guys that him.
But a three point shooter, he is not.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:17 am

If we end up with the #4-6 pick from the Nets, I would offer Philly that pick and their own second rounder back for Okafor as a starting point.

they can have Young also, if they want.....LOL

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down