Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason

5 posters

Go down

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Empty Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2627956-free-agents-the-boston-celtics-should-let-walk-this-offseason

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason

By Vytis Lasaitis , Featured Columnist

Mar 29, 2016

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-b205fef427791e1ad857f6bd2f8fb5b2_crop_north
Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This OffseasonDavid Zalubowski/Associated Press

The Boston Celtics' current core is a few additions short of title contention,which should make the front office's summer activity a key stamp in this team's historic timeline.

Teams around the league are projecting a cap spike to $92 million for 2016-17, according to ESPN.com's Zach Lowe. Boston has $51 million in salary commitments for next year, a figure it could slice down to just under $34 million by renouncing its cap holds and team options, according to Spotrac.

Boston already has most of its starters and key bench cogs tied down to multiyear, below-value deals. Sprinkle in a high-lottery draft pick from the Brooklyn Nets, and the Celtics' offseason becomes more exciting than the playoff run the team is currently gearing up for.

Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has an almost infinite amount of room to get creative.

Cutting down the salary sheet to $34 million isn't entirely realistic (Jared Sullinger shouldn't be going anywhere), but even hovering around $45 million would be sufficient for Boston to chase anyone it pleases and more. To get there, it will inevitably have to wave goodbye to several of its impending free agents.

Amir Johnson

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-0b36a841b2754f4f2ef394f68479404b_crop_exact
Victor Baldizon/Getty Images

Swift rotations and an ability to switch the pick-and-roll across multiple positions fuel Boston's stingy defense. But that defense struggles to contain size, especially close to the basket, and that's where Amir Johnson has brought the most value. Boston loses out on a lot of 50-50 plays when he sits, and the advanced statistics department backs his rim-protection impact.

Johnson solidifies the starting lineup, crashes the boards relentlessly and fills a niche for the Celtics. His tenure with the team has been positive by all accounts. He has held opponents to an excellent 47.6 field-goal percentage at the rim, the best mark by any Celtic this season, according to NBA.com. That figure also ranks him top-20 among NBA players who have logged 30 or more games and contested at least five shots on average.

That said, Boston should move on. Boston brought Johnson in as a temporary fit last summer following an otherwise uneventful free-agency period. Rob Mahoney of Sports Illustrated echoed the sentiment in his immediate reaction to the signing:

Johnson, in a sense, works as a placeholder. This deal will likely take him over the cusp of his playing prime, lasting until his 30th birthday if not sooner. Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald reported that the second year of Johnson's contract would be unguaranteed, leaving the Celtics with the flexibility to bail after next season should Johnson's health or play become any kind of problem.

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-be00d9570d7ea0eb2218edb0e35ab39a_crop_exact
Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

His $12 million per-year price tag, while relatively steep, isn't outrageous in an NBA landscape where big men with similar skill sets are signing multiyear deals worth close to nine figures. But cap space is valuable, especially since the Celtics should be a more attractive destination for free agents moving forward.

Winning a championship with Johnson as the starting center is improbable because he doesn't bring enough on the offensive end. Inconsistency has often kept him out of crunch-time lineups.

The Dallas Mavericks have proved in the past that it's possible to build an elite team with a non-shooting big in the middle (Tyson Chandler), as have the Los Angeles Clippers (DeAndre Jordan). But that center has to have the right personnel surrounding him while possessing elite skills in other categories.

If Johnson, who will be 29 by the end of this season, isn't the starting center of the future, the Celtics are better off thanking him for his service and targeting other players.

Tyler Zeller

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-34d7a9efd2d3a71de638973d281061a1_crop_exact
Brian Babineau/Getty Images

Even though the Celtics weren't involved in any serious talks at the trade deadline, Tyler Zeller's name did float around. The 26-year-old's playing time has been sporadic this season, and his impending restricted free agency offered Boston an incentive to explore moves.

Zeller remains a Celtic today, but it's difficult to envision him in green past the 2015-16 campaign. Assuming Boston wants to sign Sullinger to a new deal (which it should) while picking up the $5 million option on Jonas Jerebko (which it arguably should as well), the need for Zeller will diminish.

The 7-footer has shown flashes of efficient play around the basket, and he has some value as a backup center off the bench. It's possible that a team could throw an offer worth eight figures per year his way this summer, especially considering the abundance of cap space that will be available across the association. If that's the case, it's not a price Boston should be willing to pay.

The Celtics shouldn't hesitate to renounce Zeller's cap hold in favor of flexibility. Assuming Sullinger, Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk and Jordan Mickey (who most believe to be a capable rotation player already) stay put, Boston would have a solid foursome to build around in its frontcourt. It would also be able to hunt for versatile, quality big men in free agency, and Jae Crowder's ability to play power forward further reduces the immediate need for depth up front.

If the market turns out to be cold for Zeller and Boston can re-sign him at a discount price of around $5 million per year, it wouldn't be a terrible proposition. But he isn't the type of player the Celtics should go out of their way to keep.

Evan Turner, Jerebko—To Keep or Not To Keep?

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-4f2038cfd8ec0dc63eb2d431a0db371a_crop_exact
Brian Babineau/Getty Images

Evan Turner and Jonas Jerebko have both been solid contributors this season.

Jerebko's case is straightforward. He has a team option of $5 million for next season, which is a fair price. It's just over five percent of the projected salary cap of $92 million for a serviceable big who can play both forward positions and stretch the floor.

He started the year cold, shooting just 35 percent from the field through November. He managed to break out of the slump and has connected on 41.1 percent of his threes this season, the best mark on the Celtics. Boston would be getting decent value by bringing him back.

Turner's situation is slightly harder to measure. He has shown an ability to stuff the box score, but that's been a known fact since his days with the Philadelphia 76ers.

Numbers don't always translate to winning basketball, and Turner can be a frustrating player to watch. He doesn't have a reliable three-point stroke, he can fall in love with his own offense and he regularly elects to take inefficient shots.

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Hi-res-d13597ef6231972f26e138bf5babd4a8_crop_exact
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Then again, Turner has looked a lot more like a team player with Boston. He can fill in at three different positions, even assuming the role of a primary ball-handler when Isaiah Thomas takes a seat. He isn't elite at any particular skill, but he is versatile across the board. (Oh, and he is possibly the most quotable player in the league.)

Keeping Turner around wouldn't hurt, but the market will likely dictate his future.

If Boston gets away cheap and keeps Sullinger for approximately $12 million a year, it would still have around $40 million in cap space to play with. That's enough money for a max contract and a couple of rotation cogs. Spend another $10 million or so on Turner, and that wiggle room shrinks further, especially taking the contracts of incoming rookies into account.

Boston doesn't need a complete roster overhaul, but it shouldn't fall in love with any of its current players, either. If it has a hunch it can land a big fish or two, it shouldn't hesitate to let go of both Turner and Jerebko.

All statistics are accurate as of March 29.

All statistics and salary data are courtesy of NBA.com and Spotrac unless otherwise noted.

bob
MY NOTE:  Not impressed with this article, to be honest.  The reason is that it is very one-dimensional.  Let Amir walk?  Only if NOBODY is interested in him.  If someone is then why wouldn't you trade him, which is not the same thing as "letting him walk"?  Sully shouldn't be traded?  What if he wants more than is reasonable and Danny can land a legit NBA starting center to replace him?  Can Sully, with his mobility and conditioning issues, play PF against today's quicker, more mobile, better outside-shooting forwards?  Tyler Zeller is a quality back up NBA center.  Is he a starter?  Only in a pinch, but as a 20 minute/game player he's fine.  His game fits into Brad's Pace-and-Space system because he runs and can open up the floor with his jumpshot.  How many legit-sized back-to-the-basket and/or mid-range jumpshooting 7'ers are there in the league that we should just "let him walk".  Danny never gives up anything "for nothing".  Hell, he got David Lee for Gerald Wallace, a player who could play (and is playing in Dallas) for a player who was clearly done.  Lee didn't work out but he didn't just "let Wallace walk".  He bought out Lee but, in doing so, it only cost him 1/2 season of salary and opened up a roster slot for the playoffs.  He got Houston to take E'tuan Moore and Fab Melo for Courtney Lee and this guy thinks Danny is going to just "let players walk"?  Hasn't he been paying attention?

The ending of the article was pure mush.  We shouldn't fall in love with any of its current roster?  If we can land a big fish then let Jerebko and Turner go?  No!  Really!?  What a masterstroke of genius!  His personal Muse must have really been talking to him when he came up with that.  Everybody knows Trader Danny would move his mother for an improved 2nd round position.  Does anybody really think he wouldn't move heaven and earth, and Turner and Jerebko aren't heaven and earth, to land Blake Griffin or some other top shelf player?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Empty Re: Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Bob,

Good points dissecting the article.
I think part of Boston's issue this summer will be roster spots.
I think it's very realistic that Boston will have the following 13 roster spots taken.
3 rookies (out of 8 draft picks), Avery, IT, Crowder, Jerebko, Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, Rozier, Mickey, Hunter.
This means Amir, Turner, Zeller and Young are not on the roster.
So, Boston can look to sign 2 free agents.
I think the loss of Turner would hurt more than most expect.

Danny might just have to let Zeller and Turner walk.
Since almost every team will have significant salary cap space, the need for sign and trades has decreased dramatically.
The exceptions (trade and mid-level), will be almost non existent this summer because of salary cap space. Years past, sign and trades was the avenue that most over the cap teams used to acquire free agents.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason Empty Re: Free Agents the Boston Celtics Should Let Walk This Offseason

Post by wideclyde Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:35 pm

I am not sure that three rookies will be in Cs uniforms next season, but we will see. This team really does not need to get any younger. Who knows if the Cs draft all eight picks, but certainly no more than three will be in uniform in late October.

If a first string center can be acquired, I can see Sullinger finding a new home for next season. He is a big gamble and if he can get big money from someone else so be it.

James Young can be replaced very easily by one of the rookies or by Coty Clarke for that matter in a heart beat. Just need a place to move him. Won't someone take him and give him another chance?

I really like Turner and think that he will be needed next year. Not great at anything but pretty good at many things. Zarebko for $5M should not take even a second to think about. Johnson can be replaced with another center type guy unless he is willing to take less than $12 M. Zeller for $5-6M is a good deal as well.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

I didn't think it was a bad read myself. At least he got the numbers right....most times that seems to be a challenge.

lots of pieces for Danny to potentially move around this off-season.

Sully and Zeller Danny controls as RFA. The only question will be how much Danny feels they are worth.

We'll have the salary room for a Max player, but so will almost every other team in the NBA. Has Boston become a destination for NBA stars? I guess we'll find out.

I think Danny will only have two first rounder's form this coming draft in camp. Either he trades one of them or drafts a Euro player for the future.

I also see a couple of those second rounder's being moved for future seconds or maybe one can be sent with Young for a future pick.

one thing for sure, there is no room in the Inn for all the picks and re-signing all our FA's (along with Keeping Amir and Jerebko).

I see ONE high level FA signing and Two first rounders on next years roster.

That means Two current players will be gone.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Bob - I know I was on Turner's bad side for the beginning of the season, but my thoughts on him have changed. He has been a steady, some times game changer this last half of the season. I really think he has found a home here and it is a fact that Stevens likes him. As far as the rookies are concerned, Young is gone, there is no doubt in my mind about that. Rozier has shown he has talent, RJ has a shot, but has not had much of a chance to show it steadily, I would not be surprised to see him packaged in a trade with Atlanta. It was rumored that
they were interested in him. Mickey was signed to a long contract, it showed that Danny liked him from the get go. I will be shocked if he goes anywhere.

Sully? $$$$$ Is $15 million too much, that is the rumor of what he will be looking for. Zeller ? Nice backup, but worth crazy money, no. Amir? Who will take his place? Horford? Then that makes him available, the money he may want is crazy too, but would he like to be a backup to Horford?

All this is moot if and if I may say if???????????????????? we sign Durant!!! HaHa

Then all bets are off.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down