dboss
kdp59
willjr
19 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

2016 Playoff Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 Playoff Thread

Post by worcester Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 pm

What this series reinforces for me is that you cannot win an NBA championship without at least two genuine stars. GSW have Steph and Klay. OKC has Westbrook and Durant. We do not really have a star. We have no one that we wouldn't trade for a star. Draft wisely Danny. Draft wisely.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 29, 2016 10:55 pm

worcester wrote:What this series reinforces for me is that you cannot win an NBA championship without at least two genuine stars. GSW have Steph and Klay. OKC has Westbrook and Durant. We do not really have a star. We have no one that we wouldn't trade for a star. Draft wisely Danny. Draft wisely.

Worcester,

IT got 20 points for All-NBA (All-League, as Swish calls it).  That was good enough for 8th place among guards.  Unfortunately there are only 6 openings (3 All-NBA teams, 2 guards/team).

He finished ahead of Jimmy Butler and John Wall.  James Harden was also left off all 3 teams.

Bradley got no votes.  How the Hell do you get named 1st team All-DEFENSE and not even get a single vote for All-NBA?!

bob

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun May 29, 2016 11:52 pm

BobH I always thought it odd how defense is preached as supposedly the key to winning. (Personally I always think of it as half the key to winning)  Yet when awards are given almost all of them are based on offense.  Guess this is true of the other major sports too not just the NBA.  If I'm a kid with dreams of playing in the NBA I'm concentrating on offense.

Think of the careers of TR Dunn and Kiki Vandeweghe.  One was great defensively and terrible offensively, the other just the opposite.  Yet I'll bet Kiki had a MUCH higher salary and made a few all star teams, I doubt TR ever got a sniff of an all star game.  Supposedly they had a somewhat equal impact on the outcome of a game, but the rewards for offense are so much higher than for defense.

In the case of Avery I'd say another example of how offense is favored.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon May 30, 2016 12:32 am

I think its much harder to assign meaningful numbers to defensive performance. Other than rebounding and blocked shots there aren't many defensive stats that are eye catching to the average fan. Its the great shooters - scorers who generate the headlines which result in a fan popularity which is culminated by their selection to all- league status.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 30, 2016 1:28 am

Bob, I love AB and am glad he's on our team, but he's not a star capable of taking us to #18. A much needed complementary teammate, yes, but not the star who can carry us on his back to an NBA championship. IT is good but really not a star either. We are a good team. Kelly and IT will be great coming off the bench for us, but we need some star players to get to the next level, and we may get them in the next three drafts. Yes, it may take that long, but if we do get 2 or 3 primo players via the next three drafts, then we'll be set for a decade of serious competition for the Larry Brown Trophy.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 pm

Holy shit.

How many 3s has Curry hit over Adams?
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Ibaka, Waiters are terrible, Thunder should have been up by 20 at the half, but they missed so many bunnies.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm

I can't believe Kantor didn't even get one minute the whole 3rd and Waiters, the brick layer keeps on getting minutes?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 30, 2016 11:00 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I can't believe Kantor didn't even get one minute the whole 3rd and Waiters, the brick layer keeps on getting minutes?

Cow,

If Kanter became available would you want him and what/who would you give up to get him?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 30, 2016 11:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I can't believe Kantor didn't even get one minute the whole 3rd and Waiters, the brick layer keeps on getting minutes?

Cow,

If Kanter became available would you want him and what/who would you give up to get him?

bob

I'd give up KO or Sully

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 30, 2016 11:18 pm

about time Durant showed up, only went to line 4 times up to now, 2 minutes left in 4th....what was he waiting for?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon May 30, 2016 11:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Cow,

bob

Kanter is a similar player to Okafor only older and far more expensive. He was better than Okafor this season but Okafor obviously has the higher ceiling. Kanter has 4 years left on his max contract and Okafor should be at least a slightly better player for the last 3 of those seasons. If only either of them were good defenders they would be all-stars. Instead they seem destined to be 20-10 guys like Big Al who are snubbed when those teams are named (although Al was 3rd team All-NBA one year).

Kanter is worth Olynyk and pick 16. These guys need defenders like Ibaka and Adams next to them which the C's do not have. He would never be more than the 3rd best player on a contender. I don't think Okafor will be either but if he busts his bust, loses the 'headcase' label and becomes a 20 PER guy with at least above average D he could be the 2nd best player on a contender.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 30, 2016 11:22 pm

what a stupid foul by Ibaka

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 pm

OKC has to be so bummed.

Warriors vs healthy Cavs could be a great series.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue May 31, 2016 7:31 am

Yeah, this is the rematch the press wanted.  Healthy CLE vs. now laser-focused GSW.  Should be another great Finals.  Second verse same as the first, though.  GSW won't come up short after that feet to the fire test in the WCF's.  

The odds of KD leaving, while still unlikely, had to move up some after that 3-game cave-in.  OKC has to be saying WTF and KD with his agent saying does management or can management get us over the hump?  Are we still climbing to a championship or are we coming down the mountain already?  A lot of questions will be answered shortly.  You have to like our odds of getting him a little better even though they seem remote.  This played out about as well as it could with this crushing collapse and maximizing the second doubts in KD's head about the future of OKC.  Power is in his hands.  I really like him.  If he comes to Boston, get ready for several championships without any waiting ala Fast Pass at Disney World...

Bring on Thursday!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 am

Ibaka is not worth pursuing, based on what I saw last night. Donovan, who I've long thought was a good coach, sucked last night. Waiters should be a waiter instead of an NBA player, and Donovan kept him in way too long whereas Adams and Kanter should have seen more 2nd half play, much more. Yes Thompson was shooting over Adams, but that's no knock on Adams who is a helluva player. Thompson is just that good, no great! Westbrook made so many dumbass plays, so many turnovers, missed so many bunnies, took too many 3 point tries early in the shot clock (one a big momentum killer) and would not dish to Durant enough. How could Donovan let scrubs try 3 pointer after 3 pointer and not direct the ball to KD, who should have been taking shots? Stupid game management. Westbrook is a head case. I am glad he's not on our team. Folds under pressure like origami. Meanwhile Kerr and the whole GSW team stepped up big time. Kudos Warriors. Kudos.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue May 31, 2016 10:31 am

dbrown4 wrote:Outside,

It's all hands on deck tonight.  What does your gut say?

Dbrown,

Sorry, I was gone for the weekend. Can I give you my guess for game 6 now? My predictions are amazingly accurate if I'm given enough time.

Game 6 was great. And yes, I was worried going in, very worried. Based on how well the Thunder were playing, and with the Warriors in general and Curry in particular being out of sorts, I would've probably gone with OKC. I was still hopeful, and Klay, Curry, and Iguodala were good enough to carry them through (especially Klay). But all that just put them in a position to win it, and what sealed the deal was their championship confidence and ability to perform under the toughest pressure, something that OKC lacked in that moment.

OKC could've folded in game 7, but I thought they showed a lot. The Warriors' three-point shooting (this time Curry with the great game) and championship poise again made the difference, but this time OKC didn't collapse down the stretch like in game 6. They fought hard until the end and would be moving on to the finals if they had played any other team.

Cleveland is playing really well, so I expect the finals to be tough, but the Cavs haven't been tested yet like the Warriors just were. The Cavs are better than last year, but so are the Warriors, and my pick is Warriors in six. Curry still doesn't seem 100% back to form, but he's back to being capable of going on unconscious shooting sprees and scoring well enough on his drives. I thought his bank shot over Ibaka at the end of game 6 was a great, great shot, and I don't know how he got that one to go in at the end of the half in game 7. His ability to finish at the rim is special, and when he has it all going, it's with a full complement of threes and drives.

Klay is a more confident player than last year also. With him and Curry, they're not going to be on every game, but they will often enough to make them very hard to beat in a seven-game series. Plus the threat they present extends the defense, both in the distance the defense has to extend and the focus of the defense being concentrated on them, that it gives great opportunities for everyone else.

OKC's length and athleticism made their defense really tough, but they switched too easily and left one of their bigs stranded on an island against Klay or Curry on the perimeter, and both of them can shoot over them or drive around them. I thought Westbrook was underwhelming defensively instead of taking the challenge to stay in Curry or Klay's hip pocket. Thompson in particular was impactful at both ends of the floor, doing steady, tough work staying with Westbrook or Durant and forcing them into tough shots. Curry was also good on defense, but Klay used his greater length and bulk to great advantage.

That was a great series. OKC may not have been able to seal the deal, but they pushed the Warriors to their limit. Their effort and intensity was tremendous.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 31, 2016 10:42 am

Outside wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:Outside,

It's all hands on deck tonight.  What does your gut say?

Dbrown,

Sorry, I was gone for the weekend. Can I give you my guess for game 6 now? My predictions are amazingly accurate if I'm given enough time.

Game 6 was great. And yes, I was worried going in, very worried. Based on how well the Thunder were playing, and with the Warriors in general and Curry in particular being out of sorts, I would've probably gone with OKC. I was still hopeful, and Klay, Curry, and Iguodala were good enough to carry them through (especially Klay). But all that just put them in a position to win it, and what sealed the deal was their championship confidence and ability to perform under the toughest pressure, something that OKC lacked in that moment.

OKC could've folded in game 7, but I thought they showed a lot. The Warriors' three-point shooting (this time Curry with the great game) and championship poise again made the difference, but this time OKC didn't collapse down the stretch like in game 6. They fought hard until the end and would be moving on to the finals if they had played any other team.

Cleveland is playing really well, so I expect the finals to be tough, but the Cavs haven't been tested yet like the Warriors just were. The Cavs are better than last year, but so are the Warriors, and my pick is Warriors in six. Curry still doesn't seem 100% back to form, but he's back to being capable of going on unconscious shooting sprees and scoring well enough on his drives. I thought his bank shot over Ibaka at the end of game 6 was a great, great shot, and I don't know how he got that one to go in at the end of the half in game 7. His ability to finish at the rim is special, and when he has it all going, it's with a full complement of threes and drives.

Klay is a more confident player than last year also. With him and Curry, they're not going to be on every game, but they will often enough to make them very hard to beat in a seven-game series. Plus the threat they present extends the defense, both in the distance the defense has to extend and the focus of the defense being concentrated on them, that it gives great opportunities for everyone else.

OKC's length and athleticism made their defense really tough, but they switched too easily and left one of their bigs stranded on an island against Klay or Curry on the perimeter, and both of them can shoot over them or drive around them. I thought Westbrook was underwhelming defensively instead of taking the challenge to stay in Curry or Klay's hip pocket. Thompson in particular was impactful at both ends of the floor, doing steady, tough work staying with Westbrook or Durant and forcing them into tough shots. Curry was also good on defense, but Klay used his greater length and bulk to great advantage.

That was a great series. OKC may not have been able to seal the deal, but they pushed the Warriors to their limit. Their effort and intensity was tremendous.

Outside,

A great game.

Just to show you where people's hearts are every TV in Magraw's (and there are about Cool except for 2 were on the Warrior game and the other 2 were on the San Jose Shark's Game 1 Stanley Cup Finals game. And those 2 TVs were off to the side and in the back with the pool table. 80% Warriors, 20% Sharks and the Sharks are in the Cup Finals while the Warriors were just in the WC Finals and not the Finals Finals.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 31, 2016 11:31 am

Donavan was terrible, how do you play Waiters 30 minutes a game and Kantor gets 8 minutes? How do you not tell/shout to Durant to get it going in the 3rd and run plays for him in that crucial stretch? The guy Kantor can score, you need offense cause Durant was exposed as a guy who can't carry a team or make players better. He had 3 chancs to lead his team to one more victory and the professional scorer couldn't hit a big shot to save his life. Where was he in 3rd when his team only scored 12 points? against lesser foes he can score 12 points in a quarter all by himself. Durant couldn't do what hes supposed to do.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 31, 2016 11:36 am

worcester wrote:Ibaka is not worth pursuing, based on what I saw last night. Donovan, who I've long thought was a good coach, sucked last night. Waiters should be a waiter instead of an NBA player, and Donovan kept him in way too long whereas Adams and Kanter should have seen more 2nd half play, much more. Yes Thompson was shooting over Adams, but that's no knock on Adams who is a helluva player. Thompson is just that good, no great! Westbrook made so many dumbass plays, so many turnovers, missed so many bunnies, took too many 3 point tries early in the shot clock (one a big momentum killer) and would not dish to Durant enough. How could Donovan let scrubs try 3 pointer after 3 pointer and not direct the ball to KD, who should have been taking shots? Stupid game management. Westbrook is a head case. I am glad he's not on our team. Folds under pressure like origami.  Meanwhile Kerr and the whole GSW team stepped up big time. Kudos Warriors. Kudos.

me you and outside could have coached that team better than Donovan last night.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

This showed up on my Facebook memories today, from 3 years ago.  I thought it would be appropriate to post it here too.  The number on the back of the jersey, as well as the ridiculousness of the shot, should tell you who it is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/3UV49UBaGn/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm

Alex Kennedy
@AlexKennedyNBA about 9 minutes ago
Previous team record for most threes in a series was 79. The Warriors destroyed that record, hitting 90 threes vs. OKC (via @EliasSports).

Reply Retweet Like

Rick Kamla
@NBATVRick about 10 minutes ago
The legend of the Splash Brothers continues to grow! @Stephen Curry and @KlayThompson combined for 57 pts and 13 threes in G7 #NBAFinals

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Cow, I blame Donovan and Westbrook more than Durant, who SHOULD have demanded the ball. Kanter in place of DumbWaiters was a no brainer. Duh Billy D. Duh!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 31, 2016 12:53 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Donavan was terrible, how do you play Waiters 30 minutes a game and Kantor gets 8 minutes? How do you not tell/shout to Durant to get it going in the 3rd and run plays for him in that crucial stretch? The guy Kantor can score, you need offense cause Durant was exposed as a guy who can't carry a team or make players better. He had 3 chancs to lead his team to one more victory and the professional scorer couldn't hit a big shot to save his life. Where was he in 3rd when his team only scored 12 points? against lesser foes he can score 12 points in a quarter all by himself. Durant couldn't do what hes supposed to do.

Cow,

If you take Waiters out and put Kanter in then you have a lineup of Adams, Kanter, Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka.  1 guard.  If Kanter replaces, let's say, Ibaka, then you still only have 1 guard.  If you replace Adams, then who is your 5th man?  Roberson?  A good defender but he was getting run ragged off of screens.  He covered Thompson most of the night.  As it is, Roberson played 39 minutes and was 2-11 from the field.  Take Roberson out and Thompson goes completely crazy (21 points, 7-19 but 6-11 from 3.  Take Roberson off him and those numbers increase by 50%).  

My point is that unless Donovan sat Adams down and played Kanter he had no good options for going big because GSW's guards demanded serious attention.  Curry hit how many contested 3s over Adams?  They would have been WIDE OPEN 3s if Kanter was on him.  GSW back court was 13-23 from 3.  If you go big the score would have been even more lopsided.  Saying "they shoot 3s, we pound them inside and get the +1s" is easy to say but not so easy to do.  GSW's supporters are very quick.  You can beat them with good pnrs, like Adams did several times, but not old school "dump it in and let them work" offense like Kanter would give them.  They will get swarmed.

Against other teams, sure, that could work. Against teams that can shoot 3s like GSW, or even against the Cavaliers, who are leading the playoffs in 3pt fgas AND fg%, that is suicide.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Who else did they have to replace Waiters at guard? He stunk.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next