Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0

2 posters

Go down

Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0 Empty Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:04 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/04/jae_crowder_struggling_boston.html

Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0

Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0 20173775-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas (4) and Atlanta Hawks guard Jeff Teague (0) chase down a loose ball in the first half of an NBA playoff basketball game Tuesday, April 19, 2016, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on April 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM, updated April 20, 2016 at 10:29 AM

ATLANTA -- In a back hallway at Philips Arena, Brad Stevens walked out of the Boston Celtics locker room and saw reporters trying to decide whether to interview him or some of the players. Either trying to help, hoping to bring a bit of levity to the situation or just being his typical humble self, Stevens told the scribes he had nothing profound to say.

Maybe not, but describing Tuesday's 89-72 disappointment to the Atlanta Hawks did not require much wisdom. Stevens couldn't do much except sit at the podium and list all the obvious ways the night went wrong. He started with the vicious first quarter -- during which the Celtics neglected to pay Kyle Korver the proper attention while setting an unrelated, unfortunate record -- and finished with an answer about planning to rewatch the loss, "without sound," "without emotion," to determine what his team should carry forward.

Stevens needs to find something because the Celtics are in danger of a quick exit. After a promising season that showed plenty of development, they have arrived at their most critical test: down 2-0 in the first round of the playoffs, bruised, beaten and perhaps wondering what they need to do to finally grab a postseason win. Two games in, the Hawks have exposed Boston's lack of shooting, capitalized on Boston's poor health, and given Boston plenty of reason to doubt.

"Last game, we played confident," said Isaiah Thomas, who scored 16 points on 4-for-15 shooting. "This game it was like some guys had their head down. And coach kept saying, 'Stick together. Stay the course.' We have to do that. We have to do that. It's the playoffs. It could turn around quick. We got two games at a home and I know our fans are going to be ready for us. And we gotta play better."

With the exception of some early transition defense and a handful of possessions that saw Korver sneak away -- the first quarter was hideous in both regards -- the Celtics actually defended well in Game 2, holding the Hawks to 39-percent shooting. It was at the other end of the court where things went so drastically wrong, where Stevens will be peering most intently whenever he watches the (silent) tape. Boston struggled with outside shooting through the season and the issue has only grown more intense under the postseason lights. These Hawks fly around the perimeter and feature two big men, Paul Millsap and Al Horford, with incredible hands inside. They were always going to pose issues to the Celtics offense, and injuries have sparked even more troubles for Boston.

As Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said, "Avery Bradley (out with a strained hamstring) and Kelly Olynyk (who missed Game 2 with an injured right shoulder) -- you can't underestimate how important they are to them."

Don't forget Crowder, who has displayed obvious limitations since returning from a sprained ankle in early April. Unable to move like he normally does, the forward has shot just 2 for 11 (18.2 percent) from the 3-point arc this series, bad enough that he admitted about his jumper late Tuesday, "I don't feel right." Crowder did promise he will work to correct the issue, but has also said the swelling in his ankle should stick around until "June or July," after the season concludes. Normally an efficient option, he has averaged just 8.0 points on 24.0-percent shooting over the first two games.

Given Crowder's continued struggles, the Celtics essentially started four non-shooters around Thomas in Game 2. The little lefty has shown a relentless ability to score against long, active defenses focused on stopping him, but, given the circumstances, it's no surprise he was less efficient than usual.

"That's how Atlanta has played me. They want to make sure I see all five guys," he said. "They're playing good team defense. As a coaching staff, as players, we gotta figure out a way to make it easy as possible. Not just on myself but everybody on this team. And adjust. Playoffs are about adjusting, we have do that."

"If I was them, I would pack the paint, too," Thomas added, referring to Atlanta's obvious defensive strategy. "Right now we're not shooting the ball well. ... If we can make shots, it's going to make them adjust and the paint is going to open up for myself."

If we can make shots. At this stage of the series, that sounds almost like, "If we can just sign Kevin Durant in time for Game 3" or, "If Boston would just stop having winter every year." The Celtics finished the first quarter with half as many made field goals (three) as blocked shots against (six). They shot 1 for 13 from behind the arc before halftime and didn't reach the 40-point barrier until four minutes remained in the third quarter. They started with so much self-destruction (again) that Thomas, as confident as any scorer alive, admitted, "When we're down 19-3, like, when we miss a layup it feels like the world is going to end, or if you miss an open shot it's bigger than that."

"There's always two guys on me at least," Thomas said. "When I don't have the ball, they're looking in my eyes, they're face-guarding me. The best players figure it out. That's just a sign of respect from them and I just gotta figure it out. Lock in and -- man, I'm missing easy layups that I usually make. I'm getting mid-range shots that I usually knock down. I'm always going to continue to be confident, but I gotta make sure my team knows to continue to have confidence in themselves because we need each other."

What can the Celtics do? Staying with a traditional starting frontcourt, Jared Sullinger and Amir Johnson, does not feel wise -- it would mean sticking with a duo that has been outscored by an unfathomable 17 points over seven minutes this series. Going small from tip-off is probably the right call -- even though it would mean dumping more pressure on the regular perimeter contributors, plus relying more on rookies R.J. Hunter and Terry Rozier, who combined to play fewer than 700 minutes during the regular season. Jonas Jerebko probably deserves more playing time as one of the few shooters left standing (at +13 this series, he's the only Boston player other than Hunter with a positive plus/minus) but regardless, the Celtics will be turning to patchwork lineups against a team that targets weaknesses.

Olynyk could return in time for Game 3 (he called himself "hopeful") and Smart also expects to suit up after bruising his rib early during the first quarter Tuesday night. Still, Stevens' team is thin and hurting. During Game 2, four-ninths of the regular rotation was either out or limited.

Regardless, the Celtics defended well enough to win either of the first two games if they could have sustained a competent offense. They need to score more than eight fast-break points, and they need to have a better plan when they drive to the hoop. Atlanta blocked a playoff franchise record 15 shots -- which tied for the sixth-most in the playoffs since 1984-'85. About 45 minutes after the game, Amir Johnson (who was great for Boston) spent some time chatting with Hall of Famer Dikembe Mutombo. If Mutombo had busted out his famous finger wag, it would have felt appropriate -- just another Hawk turning away one of the Celtics attempts.

In the Stevens era, the Celtics now have an 0-6 playoff record. They weren't expected to steal any games from the Cleveland Cavaliers last season, but believed their fortunes would change this time around.

"We've had too good of a year," Crowder said, "to go out the way we've been going out the past few games."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0 Empty Re: Jae Crowder struggling, Boston Celtics desperate now after falling behind Atlanta Hawks 2-0

Post by wideclyde Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes, he does look a little bit slower. These high ankle sprains are really tough as they just take a very long time to fully recover from.

Although he did not play well, he certainly did not try to duck out of any responsibility or look for any excuses.
This guy is a good player and a great leader. You have to love him to death for what he has brought to the Cs since arriving last winter.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down