USA Today mock draft with team needs.

2 posters

Go down

USA Today mock draft with team needs. Empty USA Today mock draft with team needs.

Post by kdp59 Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2016/05/02/kris-dunn-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-nba-draft/83811046/

nothing earth shattering here, they have us taking Bender #3, Korkmaz #16 and Stone #23.

sorry cut and paste didn't work well.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

USA Today mock draft with team needs. Empty Re: USA Today mock draft with team needs.

Post by Ram Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 am

Nothing against Korkmaz but I can't see Danny passing on Skal, let alone my binky in this draft Deyonta Davis, for him. I expect both of those guys to go before #16 though. I'd love DA to swing a trade with his old pal in Phoenix to move up from 16 and get their pick at 12, where one of those two should be. #16 and #23 is probably too much. 16, 31 and James Young probably not enough. We shall see.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

USA Today mock draft with team needs. Empty Re: USA Today mock draft with team needs.

Post by kdp59 Wed May 04, 2016 7:08 am

I like Davis as well and think he could be a very good defensive big in a couple years.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed May 04, 2016 9:45 am

kdp59 wrote:I like Davis as well and think he could be a very good defensive big in a couple years.

Yeah he has a very Theo Ratliff look to him. Might be 3-4 years away but I think by the 2017-18 season he would at least be carving out 18-22 minutes a game as a disruptive defender and unlike Mickey has the ability to play center.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 04, 2016 10:02 am

I've been working on on NBA player comparisons for many of the top draft picks. Stealing stuff mostly from draft sites, but also add some of my thoughts.

here is my current list of possible draft picks and what NBA players their games compare to:

I'm always looking for others input

Rank--Pos------Player--------Hgt-------NBA comparison
1-----SF-------Ben Simmons--6-10------Lamar Odom
2-----SF------Brandon Ingram--6-9------Paul George
3-----PF-------Dragan Bender---7-1-----Nikola Mirotic
4-----SG-------Jamal Murray----6-5-----Brandon Roy
5-----SG-------Buddy Hield------6-4-----Bradley Beal
6-----PG-------Kris Dunn--------6-4------George Hill
7------C-------Jakob Poeitl-------7-0------Alex Len
8-----SF-------Jaylen Brown-----6-7-----Harrison Barnes
9-----PF-------Skal Labissiere----7-0-----Channing Frye
10----PF------Henry Ellenson----6-10----Tom Gugliotta
11----PF-------Deyonta Davis----6-9-----Derrick Favors
12----SG------Furkan Korkmaz---6-7-----Kevin Martin
13----PF------Marquese Chriss----6-9-----Markieff Morris
14----PF------Domantas Sabonis--6-10----Luis Scola
15----SF------Denzel Valentine----6-6-----Jared Dudley
16----SG------Malik Beasley-------6-4-----Allen Crabbe
17----SG-----Malachi Richardson---6-6----Iman Shumpert
18----PG------Dejounte Murrey----6-5-----Shaun Livingston
19----PG------Demetrius Jackson---6-1----Darrin Collison
20-----C------Diamond Stone-----6-10-----Marreese Speights
21----SG------Timothe Luwawu----6-7-----Thabo Sefolosha
22-----C--------Ivica Zubac--------7-0------Robert Sacre
23----PG-------Wade Baldwin------6-3------Monta Ellis
24----SF--------Taurean Prince-----6-7-----DeMarre Carroll
25-----C--------Damian Jones-----6-10-----John Henson
26-----PF-------Brice Johnson------6-9------Taj Gibson
27-----C----Stephen Zimmerman---7-0-----Jason Smith
28-----PG-------Tyler Ulis----------5-9-------Phil Pressey
29-----C---------Ante Zizic--------6-11------Mason Plumlee
30----PF--------Cheick Diallo------6-9-------Ed Davis
32-----PF-------Thon Maker-------7-0-------Christian Wood
33----SG--------Caris LeVert------6-7-------Jeremy Lamb
34-----F------Juan Hernangomez---6-9 -----Jonas Jerebko
36-----C--------AJ Hammons------7-0-------Mark West
37-----PF-----Guerschon Yabusele---6-8----Jason Maxiell
41----PG--------Anthony Barber-----6-2-----Ish Smith

the rankings are from my combined mock draft rankings
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 am

Wow! What an awesome list kdp. I agree with almost all of them. Especially impressed with the Ellensen-Googs and Dunn-George one. So many people say Kevin Love but Henry is much more Gugliotta.

My nit-picking comes next of course. Don't be offended, 85% of that was spot on.

- Murray is closer to 6'2" than 6'5" and not nearly as long, fluid and defensive minded as the 6'6" Roy. I see him more like Jason Terry, Andre Miller or JJ Barea although his ceiling is a bit higher than those guys. If he becomes a 21-22ppg flashy all-star then he could be like Earl Monroe.

- Jaylen Brown has a Jason Richardson (if he ever gets his offense together) feel about him with Andre Iguodala defense. Maybe Jimmy Butler? Barnes is more a PF in today's NBA and Brown will not be.

- Diamons Stone is a poor man's Big Al. He may have what looks like Speights current body. But Speights is a very good outside shooter and Stone isn't anywhere close to being one.

-
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 pm

Ram wrote:Wow! What an awesome list kdp. I agree with almost all of them. Especially impressed with the Ellensen-Googs and Dunn-George one. So many people say Kevin Love but Henry is much more Gugliotta.

My nit-picking comes next of course. Don't be offended, 85% of that was spot on.

- Murray is closer to 6'2" than 6'5" and not nearly as long, fluid and defensive minded as the 6'6" Roy. I see him more like Jason Terry, Andre Miller or JJ Barea although his ceiling is a bit higher than those guys. If he becomes a 21-22ppg flashy all-star then he could be like Earl Monroe.

- Jaylen Brown has a Jason Richardson (if he ever gets his offense together) feel about him with Andre Iguodala defense. Maybe Jimmy Butler? Barnes is more a PF in today's NBA and Brown will not be.

- Diamons Stone is a poor man's Big Al. He may have what looks like Speights current body. But Speights is a very good outside shooter and Stone isn't anywhere close to being one.

-

not offended at all...I enjoy the feedback and what others think.

I stole most of those frankly , so have no vested interest in them being correct. more like a starting point for conversations.

I am not sold on the Baldwin to Ellis one myself, as i think that may be too high of an upside for him.

I'll try to do more research on Murray as the draft nears, maybe I can come up with a better comp, Draft express has him at 6-5 in shoes at the 2015 Hoops summit. maybe there is a better comp somewhere between terry and Roy?

I've gone back and forth of J. Brown myself, I saw the Richardson comparison, but felt a Jimmy Butler one may be closer (the Jimmy Butler that was drafted not the player he is now). Brown is hard to gauge for me .

I hesitate to to put Al Jefferson with Stone even though most websites do, because I fear he may not come close to Al in his NBA game. I thought Speights was more of a low post banger....I'll have to rethink that one perhaps also.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed May 04, 2016 7:55 pm

kdp59 wrote:
Ram wrote:Wow! What an awesome list kdp. I agree with almost all of them. Especially impressed with the Ellensen-Googs and Dunn-George one. So many people say Kevin Love but Henry is much more Gugliotta.

-

not offended at all...I enjoy the feedback and what others think.

Well good work either way. I'd also like to add that Ulis will be MUCH better than Phil Pressey. Closer to our own Isaiah Thomas.

I stole most of those frankly , so have no vested interest in them being correct. more like a starting point for conversations.

I am not sold on the Baldwin to Ellis one myself, as i think that may be too high of an upside for him.

I agree. The George Hill comparison seems more suited for him. Kris Dunn reminds me of Chauncey Billups.

I'll try to do more research on Murray as the draft nears, maybe I can come up with a better comp, Draft express has him at 6-5 in shoes at the 2015 Hoops summit. maybe there is a better comp somewhere between terry and Roy?

Was he? I didn't know he was that tall. It will be interesting to see what he comes in as at the combine. Maybe Derek Harper? Gotta remember he has some PG skills in addition to being a scorer (unlike Roy and say Buddy Hield) but his defense is really not pro ready at all.

I've gone back and forth of J. Brown myself, I saw the Richardson comparison, but felt a Jimmy Butler one may be closer (the Jimmy Butler that was drafted not the player he is now). Brown is hard to gauge for me .

I hesitate to to put Al Jefferson with Stone even though most websites do, because I fear he may not come close to Al in his NBA game. I thought Speights was more of a low post banger....I'll have to rethink that one perhaps also.

He's Al Jefferson light. In the modern game he's a backup big who can get you 12-6 but in more of a situational role b/c nobody uses plodding low post guys like that much anymore.

Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 pm

doing some more thinking about a few of those players...my current thinking is:

Jamal Murray- OJ Mayo

Kris Dunn- Jrue Holiday

Jaylen Brown- I'm back on Jimmy Butler now

Wade Baldwin- I like your George Hill one here

the next ones were really tough and I had to go into the way back machine a bit

Tyler Ulis- Very tough one...but I came up with Keith Jennings

Thon Maker- Jonathan Bender

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down