Weird things can happen on draft night

+3
arambone
steve3344
wideclyde
7 posters

Go down

Weird things can happen on draft night Empty Weird things can happen on draft night

Post by wideclyde Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:57 am

The Red Sox drafted a 6'6 pitcher (jason Groom) last night with their first pick (#12) in the MLB entry draft, and this kid was thought to be a first five
type of pick. I even saw that some draft expert had him going first in his last mock draft on Wednesday night.

Not likely that any of the very top guys in this NBA draft will drop all the way to #12, but drafts are drafts and different GMs see guys
differently as fits for their teams.

Lots of guessing by everyone so far (certainly including me), but I have a feeling that Ingram may drop to the #3 spot and that there
will be a significant player still available at #16 and even a decent player at #23 if the Cs hold on to their first three picks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Weird things can happen on draft night Empty Re: Weird things can happen on draft night

Post by steve3344 Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 am

wideclyde wrote:The Red Sox drafted a 6'6 pitcher (jason Groom) last night with their first pick (#12) in the MLB entry draft, and this kid was thought to be a first five
type of pick.  I even saw that some draft expert had him going first in his last mock draft on Wednesday night.

Not likely that any of the very top guys in this NBA draft will drop all the way to #12, but drafts are drafts and different GMs see guys

Lots of guessing by everyone so far (certainly including me), but I have a feeling that Ingram may drop to the #3 spot and that there
will be a significant player still available at #16 and even a decent player at #23 if the Cs hold on to their first three picks.

I'm buying if Ingram drops to 3.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Weird things can happen on draft night Empty Re: Weird things can happen on draft night

Post by arambone Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:49 am

Yup. I heard yesterday that a bunch of GMs have Dragan Bender ranked outside the lottery. Not that I'd necessarily jump on him at 16, but it just goes to show that the mock drafts aren't the be all end all of the draft process.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:59 am

Here's some of the latest draft talk from Chad Ford

Chad Ford wrote:Here are some of the quotes I've been given this week:

"The Lakers should take Marquese Chriss at No. 2."

First Kevin Pelton says the Lakers should take Dragan Bender at No. 2. Now this? Chriss was at No. 8 on our Big Board for quite a while, and moved up to No. 6 in our latest Big Board. We are currently projecting him to go No. 4 to the Suns in our latest mock draft. But No. 2? Over Brandon Ingram? Is the hype going overboard?

Chriss' elite athleticism, combined with size, length and the ability to both stretch the floor and protect the rim make him a unique prospect. Few players have a similar combination of physical tools and basketball skills.

In the past few weeks I've heard comparisons to Shawn Marion and Shawn Kemp. As we've been saying in this space for a while, he has highest ceiling in the draft after Ben Simmons and Ingram.

But does he have a higher ceiling than Ingram? Perhaps. He's a better athlete, and given his body type, he might be a better defender (if he can learn how to stay out of foul trouble). That said, he's not the shooter Ingram is and his floor is also much lower.

Ingram is more of a sure thing. Chriss is much more raw, and while he is clearly competitive, his decision-making on the court is a lot further behind compared to Ingram. Talking to Lakers sources, I think Ingram is the pick for L.A. at No. 2. He has similar upside to Chriss without the risks. But after that? The Celtics, Suns and Wolves all will be very tempted. I'm still betting on the Suns at No. 4. But the Celtics taking him at No. 3 is a real possibility.

"Jamal Murray may be the best scorer in the draft, but he can't guard anybody."

One GM nailed it by saying there are serious concerns about who Murray guards at the next level. The effort is there, but the lateral quickness is not. That probably keeps him in the No. 3-6 range.

"If Dejounte Murray played at North Carolina or Duke, he'd be a top-five pick."

We've been high on Murray for a while and it seems as if the league is catching up to that point of view. His length, quickness, toughness and ability to play multiple positions make him one of the highest upside guards in the draft.

"Malachi Richardson canceled his workout with us."

It's not clear exactly why the workouts were canceled, but the evidence suggests that Richardson's range is No. 10 to No. 21.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi,
I don't know much about all those players. I just hope that #3 brings Celtics MJ 2.0. It's not that often we have a lottery pick.
With #16 I'd settle with PP 2.0.
If it's gonna be weird draft let it be weird in our favor.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 pm

wideclyde wrote:The Red Sox drafted a 6'6 pitcher (jason Groom) last night with their first pick (#12) in the MLB entry draft, and this kid was thought to be a first five
type of pick.  I even saw that some draft expert had him going first in his last mock draft on Wednesday night.

There wasn't a lot of agreement this year about the top 5 players in the MLB draft.

Things are usually much different with the NBA draft.

I would think that Ingram would rise to #1 instead of dropping to #3.
Most likely the top 2 are set, then Boston will be the wildcard at #3.

There might not be a lot of surprises on draft night, but the craziness will start on 7/1.
This will be a free agent period like we've never seen before.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:26 pm

arambone wrote:Yup. I heard yesterday that a bunch of GMs have Dragan Bender ranked outside the lottery. Not that I'd necessarily jump on him at 16, but it just goes to show that the mock drafts aren't the be all end all of the draft process.

Can you post where you heard this from?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:20 pm

tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:Yup. I heard yesterday that a bunch of GMs have Dragan Bender ranked outside the lottery. Not that I'd necessarily jump on him at 16, but it just goes to show that the mock drafts aren't the be all end all of the draft process.

Can you post where you heard this from?

I can't find it. I must have read an internet comment from somebody who read it. Maybe Chad Ford Insider or something. Nothing comes up when I did a google news search.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 pm

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2016/06/some-nba-teams-dont-see-dragan-bender-as-a-lottery-prospect/

Some NBA Teams Don’t See Dragan Bender as a Lottery Prospect in This Year’s Draft
dfavaleJune 8, 2016 NBA Draft0 Comments
dragan bender

Most NBA mock drafts have Croatia’s Dragan Bender going in the top five of this year’s prospect pageant. Many also have him going at No. 3 to the Boston Celtics.

But certain teams, however, may not be so high on the 7’1″ 18-year-old, per Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders:

Follow
Steve Kyler ✔ @stevekylerNBA
I have not found a team that's in love with Bender... some teams have him outside the lottery on their board. https://twitter.com/Jarel_k/status/740496676985528320 …
3:56 AM - 8 Jun 2016
 14 14 Retweets   7 7 likes

This should probably taken with some grain of salt. Teams that don’t have lottery picks or already have their power forward-center rotations set can be more cavalier with their prospect rankings. They either don’t need Bender or won’t have the opportunity to draft him, so his place in the player pool before them doesn’t actually matter.

The Celtics are different.

Owners of the No. 3 pick, their opinion of Dragan Bender matters. And, apparently, they don’t have him atop their board either:

Follow
Steve Kyler ✔ @stevekylerNBA
Bender not the top guy on Boston's board... they are very high on Jaylen Brown and Marquese Chriss https://twitter.com/kvanhorn87/status/738775520393986048 …
9:55 AM - 3 Jun 2016
 45 45 Retweets   42 42 likes

We’re going to assume this pecking order includes Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons at one and two, though not necessarily in that order, followed by Jaylen Brown and Marquese Chriss. And if true, it’ll be interesting to see where Bender ends up.

There always seems to be one prospect who slips down the draft board. Could Bender be it?
Or is this all a smokescreen, something we’ll look back upon as a nonexistent obstacle for what is sure to be a top-five pick?

bob
MY NOTE:  We need to back off the name calling and personal challenges, or the mods (and I am one), will take action.

People need to calm down. Seriously.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Is anybody else reading this?

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:52 am

I'm done reading this Bob, and everyone else should be as well!!!
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down