Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics

4 posters

Go down

Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics Empty Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4723296/basketball-bloodlines-and-why-domantas-sabonis-might-interest-the-celtics

Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics

6:05 PM PT

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

WALTHAM, Mass. -- You need only examine Danny Ainge's recent draft history to recognize that the Boston Celtics president of basketball operations likes players who come from basketball families. Recent first-round picks Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, and R.J. Hunter are all sons of hoops coaches.

If basketball bloodlines are important, then the Celtics might not find a more intriguing prospect in this year's draft than Gonzaga big man Domantas Sabonis, whose father, Arvydas, is a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest pro big men of all time.

Last week, Sabonis engaged in an individual workout for the Celtics, one of just four teams he was planning to visit before this month's draft. While he ranked 10th on Chad Ford's latest Big Board, Ford's most recent mock didn't have Sabonis being selected until No. 20, suggesting there's a chance the Celtics might have an opportunity at him at No. 16 or No. 23.

Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0321%2Fr65773_1296x729_16%2D9
Domantas Sabonis averaged 17.6 points, 11.8 rebounds and 1.8 assists during his final season at Gonzaga. Kyle Terada/USA TODAY Sports

Asked where he might land in the draft during his visit to Boston, Sabonis said, "I have no idea. Every day they tell me a different thing. I'm just working now trying to get better."

Sabonis ranked eighth overall in ESPN's draft model projection, and his overall grade (85.eight) was better than many projected to go in the lottery.

Sabonis planned pre-draft visits to the Phoenix Suns (first-round picks Nos. 4, 13, 28), Toronto Raptors (9, 27) and Utah Jazz (12).

Boston's three first-round picks likely contributed to Sabonis' decision to audition for the Celtics, but his father might have had some influence, as well.

"He's a big fan. His favorite player was Larry Bird," Sabonis said of his father, who played seven seasons for the Portland Trail Blazers after coming to the NBA at age 31. Domantas was born at the tail end of his father's first NBA season, in 1996.

"His favorite color's green, so he loves it even more. Just everything about the team, the tradition, the winning and everything."

Domantas also is familiar with the Celtics, thanks in large part to fellow Gonzaga product Olynyk. The two worked out together in summers past, and Sabonis noted that, "The whole [Gonzaga] team usually watches [the Celtics]. It's always on TV because of Kelly."

Sabonis is a strong, physical big man with an NBA-ready body and high basketball IQ. He has his father's rebounding ability and plays with a high motor.

Asked about his strengths, Sabonis said, "I can improve everything. Right now I think I can find my open teammates, facilitate, rebound, bring energy, play in the post."

The negatives? Ford's scouting report notes that Sabonis must improve his perimeter game and lacks elite athletic ability.

Sabonis said he doesn't have too many memories from his father's NBA days, but he does remember watching him at Portland's practice facility. He has noted how he didn't gain a true appreciation for his father's basketball accomplishments, particularly as the face of Lithuanian basketball, until he was in his teens.

Asked about coming from a basketball family, Sabonis noted, "It's pretty cool, having my father be such a great player. I'm really proud of him and happy. It's just awesome."

Sabonis detailed how he was born in Portland but grew up in Spain, then spent Christmases and summers in Lithuania. Asked what he considers home, Sabonis, who is fluent in three languages, laughed while offering, "Everywhere. It's confusing, I know."

How much did his father help shape his game?

"After every game, we would usually talk," said Sabonis. "He watched all my Gonzaga games. Last summer, I played for the [Lithuanian] national team, and he was there every practice. He's usually there telling me things I can improve."

Ainge has often raved about the benefits of growing up in basketball families and the additional pressure that typically comes from being the son of a coach or a pro.

And just how much can basketball bloodlines help a player? After Sabonis auditioned for the Raptors, Toronto's scouting director Dan Tolzman told the Toronto Star: "Just being around that high level of basketball, it just gets in there by osmosis. They eat, sleep and breathe basketball, and I think Domantas is a guy like that. His dad was one of the greatest big men of all time, and the type of thing he's probably handing down to his son in conversations and learning the game that way -- those are things regular people can't get.

"It's something you can't put a price on; he grew up with it, and it's something I think other kids would kill for."

bob
MY NOTE:  We know Danny and Brad love basketball families, so this is not far-fetched.  At 6'10", 240# he is already right-sized for an NBA 4.  His lack of an outside game, though, makes him an old-school 4 and not a new-school one.  He's a poor-man's Tyler Hansbrough.  A good player off the bench but not much more.  He's worth #23, maybe if we trade up to #18 or so.  I don't know if I'd use #16 on him.  DX currently has him at #17.  NBAdraft.net has him at #9.  mynbadraft.com has him @ #15.  I think he is more likely to drop than rise.  As the game moves to the perimeter, a big man that cannot shoot from outside the paint has less value than one who can.  Of course, in my perfect world, we trade #3 and #23, plus whomever/whatever else, for a high quality veteran and use #16 on Maker so Sabonis, Hield, Murray, Bender etal are not in the picture anyway.

Sometimes the son is better than the father (e.g. Jellybean and Kobe, Del and Steph) and sometimes they aren't.  Domantis definitely is not Arvydas, and that's a damn pity.  When you get a chance, try to find some videos of Arvydas Sabonis when he was young and in Europe, then compare him to Bill Walton.  You'll see similarities.  Sky-high BBIQ, phenomenal passers, great rebounders and defenders.  

Aw, what the Hell, I got a few minutes to hunt this stuff down...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics Empty Re: Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics

Post by Ram Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:34 pm

He's been hitting NBA 3's in workouts and as he said can and will improve his game a lot. The elite athleticism is the one negative that will not really improve, but Celtic greats like Bird and Pierce were not elite athletes either. 

Tyler Hansborough is a poor man's Sabonis, not the other way around. 

When you use that phrase it indicated the player will be 70-80% or so of the player you are comparing him to. A slightly WORSE version. After 7 years in the NBA Psycho T has averaged 6.7 points and 4.2 rebounds in 17 minutes. If Sabonis is a poor man's Hansborough he isn't even worthy of a 1st rd pick. 

I'm thinking more like Otis Thorpe, Christian Laettner or PJ Brown (if he never really develops that 3) or Sam Perkins, Tom Chambers or Rasheed Wallace if he does develop a 3. If you say he is a poor man's ----- when it comes to any of those 6 guys then the idea of taking him at pick 16 makes a lot more sense.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics Empty Re: Basketball bloodlines and why Domantas Sabonis might interest the Celtics

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:11 pm

I think the Celtics take him at #16. Kid has impressive numbers and a ready NBA body.

Plus he has been taught the game by his father who played in the NBA.

Kid of like Stan Love scenario.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks for posting the Arvydas Sabonis clips. I had forgotten how good he was. Actually, I only knew his game from his NBS stint, when he a bit lumbering, so those old pre-injury clips were great. Plus, he had that sweet sweet euro-mullet, with an iron curtain touch.

Would have loved to see him play in the NBA at his athletic peak.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down