Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick?

+6
kdp59
gyso
bobheckler
arambone
Ram
10 posters

Go down

Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick? Empty Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick?

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 pm

NESN
by Darren Hartwell on Tue, Jun 21, 2016

With Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram sitting atop virtually every mock draft, the first two picks of the 2016 NBA Draft on Thursday should be free of drama. But after that, all bets are off. The Boston Celtics will be next on the clock at No. 3 overall, and their options are plentiful.

The Celtics reportedly are trying very hard to trade the pick as part of a package that potentially could net them a young All-Star like Jahlil Okafor or Jimmy Butler. Of course, there’s no guarantee Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will be able to find a willing trade partner, though. And if he doesn’t, he’ll have an equally tough decision to make on draft night.

Below Simmons and Ingram lies a tier of five NBA draft prospects, each of whom could land anywhere in the top 10: Dragan Bender, Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, Jaylen Brown and Kris Dunn. Each player has the talent and/or potential to be worthy of a No. 3 pick, and the Celtics reportedly have worked out or are planning to work out every player in that group, with the exception of Dunn.

But who of this quintet would fit best in Boston? Assuming the Celtics decide to keep the third pick and don’t make any huge trades on draft night (both big assumptions), here are Boston’s best options at No. 3, ranked from worst to best:

5. Jamal Murray, Guard, Kentucky There’s no doubt Murray can score — he averaged 20 points per game as a freshman for Kentucky this season and reportedly impressed the Celtics in a recent pre-draft workout by hitting 79 of 100 3-pointers. But the 19-year-old still is a work in progress at the defensive end, and there are concerns about his athleticism, which could hinder his ability to score at the NBA level. Boston needs scorers, but Murray might be too much of a risk.

4. Kris Dunn, Guard, Providence Yes, Dunn arguably is the best point guard in the draft, and he could be a potential franchise cornerstone if he lives up to expectations. But another ball-handler is the last thing the guard-heavy Celtics need. If Boston goes with Dunn, it almost guarantees Ainge will make another move to blow up a backcourt that already includes All-Star Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley and 2015 draft picks Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter.

3. Jaylen Brown, Small Forward, California The 6-foot-7 Brown is an elite athlete and is extremely versatile, both great traits to have in head coach Brad Stevens’ system. But the Cal product isn’t a great shooter — he shot just 29 percent from 3-point range this season — and was inconsistent at times offensively during his one season with the Golden Bears. Another inconsistent shooter isn’t exactly what Boston needs, but Brown has enough upside in other areas to be worthy of consideration.

2. Dragan Bender, Center, Croatia At just 18 years old, Bender comes with plenty of risk. But he’s exactly what the Celtics need: a 7-foot big man who can protect the rim on the defensive end and stretch the floor on the offensive end. Boston lacks both talent and depth in its frontcourt, and while Bender likely would take a few years to develop, bringing him into the fold would go a long way in balancing out the roster.

1. Buddy Hield, Guard, Oklahoma The whole point of the Celtics trying to trade the No. 3 pick is to get a proven, go-to scorer who can take over down the stretch. The reigning Naismath College Player of the Year has the potential to be that guy. Hield is one of the best shooters in the draft, particularly from 3-point range, making him a perfect fit for a team that ranked 28th out of 30 teams this season in 3-point shooting percentage. If trading the No. 3 pick isn’t an option, Hield should be Boston’s top target.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick? Empty Re: Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick?

Post by Ram Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 am

Chriss is obviously in that group as well, making it a 2nd tier of 6 that should all fall in the top 8
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick? Empty Re: Celtics Draft Preview: Which Player Is Best Fit If C’s Keep No. 3 Pick?

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:19 am

I'm having some last minute questions/doubts about Jaylen Brown. I think he's the most naturally talented available at 3, and I think he can be a Westbrook style small forward superstar.

But I recently heard that in high school he would often sit at the end of the bench by himself, and that he often keeps to himself in general. Might not seem like a big deal, and it might not be, but then you combine it with the criticisms that he struggles with the team concept on the court. Then you start thinking about his inconsistency on the court and I start wondering if his super-high IQ and interests outside of basketball, and I wonder if he will have a long-term passion for the game.

Probably these are just small, nitpicky concerns. Westbrook and Kobe struggled with the team concept and they did just fine.

But I remember Giants running back Tiki Barber would be sitting on the team plane reading Wuthering Heights while the rest of his team was celebrating a victory. His teammates couldn't stand him, and Tiki always carried himself like he was above the team.

It's a fine line between highly intelligent and arrogant/pretentious.

Brown also wasn't clutch in his team's last games of the year.

I look at Jamal Murray and think he would more safely fit into the team concept, wouldn't be a Rondo-type that everybody walks on eggshells around, and he's also more clutch in must win situations.

On the other hand we need more length at SF as much as we need more shooting. Jae has a low standing reach, and Evan Turner might have even less. And those guys can't sky for blocks and rebounds like Brown can.
Nor can they burst by their man to the basket like Brown can.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:23 am

arambone wrote:I'm having some last minute questions/doubts about Jaylen Brown. I think he's the most naturally talented available at 3, and I think he can be a Westbrook style small forward superstar.

But I recently heard that in high school he would often sit at the end of the bench by himself, and that he often keeps to himself in general. Might not seem like a big deal, and it might not be, but then you combine it with the criticisms that he struggles with the team concept on the court. Then you start thinking about his inconsistency on the court and I start wondering if his super-high IQ and interests outside of basketball, and I wonder if he will have a long-term passion for the game.

Probably these are just small, nitpicky concerns. Westbrook and Kobe struggled with the team concept and they did just fine.

But I remember Giants running back Tiki Barber would be sitting on the team plane reading Wuthering Heights while the rest of his team was celebrating a victory. His teammates couldn't stand him, and Tiki always carried himself like he was above the team.

I look at Jamal Murray and think he would more safely fit into the team concept, wouldn't be a Rondo-type that everybody walks on eggshells around, and he's also more clutch in must win situations.

On the other hand we need more length at SF as much as we need more shooting. Jae has a low standing reach, and Evan Turner might have even less. And those guys can't sky for blocks and rebounds like Brown can.

arambone,

There is a thread that talks about why the Celtics sometimes ask players back for a 2nd workout.  Sometimes, like with Marcus Smart, the workout they saw was not the same player they had watched on film.  So, they brought him back for a 2nd chance to prove himself and he performed the 2nd time like they had expected him to do all along.  Other times, according to the article, they bring him back because they detected or learned something about them that disturbed them and so they ask them back to talk about that.  It is possible, and this is pure, unsubstantiated speculation on my part, that Jaylen Brown was brought back for reasons other than poor workout performance.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:35 am

bobheckler wrote:
arambone wrote:I'm having some last minute questions/doubts about Jaylen Brown. I think he's the most naturally talented available at 3, and I think he can be a Westbrook style small forward superstar.

arambone,

There is a thread that talks about why the Celtics sometimes ask players back for a 2nd workout.  Sometimes, like with Marcus Smart, the workout they saw was not the same player they had watched on film.  So, they brought him back for a 2nd chance to prove himself and he performed the 2nd time like they had expected him to do all along.  Other times, according to the article, they bring him back because they detected or learned something about them that disturbed them and so they ask them back to talk about that.  It is possible, and this is pure, unsubstantiated speculation on my part, that Jaylen Brown was brought back for reasons other than poor workout performance.  

bob

Here's a comment from a new web discussion about Brown and his IQ/personality:

Teams really want a player that says, "Yes, sir" to everything. It makes things run smoothly. Jaylen is not that employee. He decided not to hire an agent because he believes he, himself, knows best. He said in an interview that he would listen to what a coach wanted and decide if that worked. One GM said Jaylen's combine interview was the worst one of the whole combine.

I get Jaylen because I have the same problem. I have driven some bosses nuts because I wanted to hear why I should do something before I went out and did it. But I've been lucky enough to find jobs where my bosses appreciate my contributions and have been allowed to have my ideas aired. That's all Jaylen needs: the right situation. Because some coaches will cherish what he brings and others will want to throw rocks at him.

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/jaylen-brown-1

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:47 am

arambone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

arambone,

bob

Teams really want a player that says, "Yes, sir" to everything. It makes things run smoothly. Jaylen is not that employee. He decided not to hire an agent because he believes he, himself, knows best. He said in an interview that he would listen to what a coach wanted and decide if that worked. One GM said Jaylen's combine interview was the worst one of the whole combine.

I get Jaylen because I have the same problem. I have driven some bosses nuts because I wanted to hear why I should do something before I went out and did it. But I've been lucky enough to find jobs where my bosses appreciate my contributions and have been allowed to have my ideas aired. That's all Jaylen needs: the right situation. Because some coaches will cherish what he brings and others will want to throw rocks at him.

That sounds a bit like Rondo to me. On this team, now? No thanks.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56 am

just so I understand..are we saying we want stupid players only?

intelligence is a deal breaker?

perhaps so!

LOL.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56 am

gyso wrote:
arambone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

arambone,

bob

That sounds a bit like Rondo to me.  On this team, now?  No thanks.

gyso

Yeah. Not exactly like Rondo but close enough to be at least a bit weary over the longterm.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 am

kdp59 wrote: just so I understand..are we saying we want stupid players only?

intelligence is a deal breaker?

perhaps so!

LOL.

No, I'm only concerned about a personality type that sometimes comes with high intelligence. Smart and humble is one thing. Smart and "I'm better than you/the team" is another.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:03 pm

yeah I got that Rambone...was just joking around a bit there.

I'm beginning to think Danny won't have a dance partner for a trade and will end using the #3 pick.

if so he may surprise us and go with Chriss.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:07 pm

kdp59 wrote:yeah I got that Rambone...was just joking around a bit there.

I'm beginning to think Danny won't have a dance partner for a trade and will end using the #3 pick.

if so he may surprise us and go with Chriss.

Chriss is a Bender like at-least-two-years-away project that gets hyped by draftniks who know that they themselves don't actually have to make the pick and live with the consequences.

I'm not sure Jordan Mickey is any worse than Chriss.

I'm guessing neither Chriss nor Bender go top 8 when the moment comes.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm

I understand Chriss is uber athletic and has a great shot, does he have a handle? heard hes not the greatest rebounder.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I understand Chriss is uber athletic and has a great shot, does he have a handle? heard hes not the greatest rebounder.

He's a terrible rebounder and defender. And while he's 6'10, he has the body of a 6'8" guy, just like Jordan Mickey.

If Mickey came out after his freshman year there might have been draftniks that went gaga over his "upside", even if it was "two years away". Though Mickey never had a chance to show his jumper at LSU.

And Chriss, like Mickey, doesn't have a big strong frame, so neither are going to be 250 lb beefcakes some day.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I understand Chriss is uber athletic and has a great shot, does he have a handle? heard hes not the greatest rebounder.

young kid (aren't they all)...good shot blocker and shot, not so good rebounder.

needs work on defense, but most do. Chriss (like bender) has the quickness to be a good defender (if they want to be).

Chriss has hops, can play above the rim.

I personlly don't think anyone from this draft at  the #3 range will be much help next year (maybe Hield due to his age). There might be some older rookies drafted later in the round who may play more to be honest (though of course they have a lower ceiling).

oh yeah..Chriss also has one of the lower floors of possible top 5 picks this year. or to put it another way higher bust factor.

boom or bust.....Danny the gambler?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:33 pm

kdp59 wrote:

young kid (aren't they all)...good shot blocker and shot, not so good rebounder.

needs work on defense, but most do. Chriss (like bender) has the quickness to be a good defender (if they want to be).

Chriss has hops, can play above the rim.

I personlly don't think anyone from this draft at  the #3 range will be much help next year (maybe Hield due to his age). There might be some older rookies drafted later in the round who may play more to be honest (though of course they have a lower ceiling).

oh yeah..Chriss also has one of the lower floors of possible top 5 picks this year. or to put it another way higher bust factor.

boom or bust.....Danny the gambler?

You probably already have, but consider the possibility that Chriss was never much of a top 5 possibility, except for in the minds of some internet scouts.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:41 pm

we'll see, but I think most of the draft sites do take into account what real teams/rumors are out there about workouts and such.

since Chriss was never a "darling" of any of the sites I visit , he moved UP the draft after the comibine and workouts for teams.

he's not my guy, I want an NBA player now and to use this pick and other assets for that guy.

But Danny may have the smell of dead fish (GM's) on his hands now and no one wants to deal with him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

At this point I still like Bender at #3. His upside is too ridiculous not to take the gamble. All the draftniks agree that in three years he will be the best of this year's class.

Sorry, IT, but if Danny takes Dunn he becomes our best pg. He is an upgrade over what we have with more upside. I have no problem breaking up our guard glut. They are all great young people and players but Hunter, Rozier and Bradley can all go, and in a package for an established veteran, Smart and IT as well. Dunn can be that kind of a difference maker, and do so right away.

Hield is the guy rising on my board. Someone said Danny doesn't have to hit a homerun this year because of our position the next two drafts. (Bender or the Big Trade). He can hit a solid double with a player like Buddy. Danny could definitely score some assets by trading down to get him.

The last couple of days has seen the C's take a hit as Danny has been unable to find a trading partner. We probably do overvalue most of our talent, but only because they are still young and unproven. No doubt that some other GM's live in fear of getting hornswoggled by Trader Danny. But Facilitator Danny can be every bit as effective as his other persona. The Celtics will be a better team next year no matter what happens Thursday night.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:21 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:At this point I still like Bender at #3. His upside is too ridiculous not to take the gamble. All the draftniks agree that in three years he will be the best of this year's class.

Sorry, IT, but if Danny takes Dunn he becomes our best pg. He is an upgrade over what we have with more upside. I have no problem breaking up our guard glut. They are all great young people and players but Hunter, Rozier and Bradley can all go, and in a package for an established veteran, Smart and IT as well. Dunn can be that kind of a difference maker, and do so right away.

Hield is the guy rising on my board. Someone said Danny doesn't have to hit a homerun this year because of our position the next two drafts. (Bender or the Big Trade). He can hit a solid double with a player like Buddy. Danny could definitely score some assets by trading down to get him.

The last couple of days has seen the C's take a hit as Danny has been unable to find a trading partner. We probably do overvalue most of our talent, but only because they are still young and unproven. No doubt that some other GM's live in fear of getting hornswoggled by Trader Danny. But Facilitator Danny can be every bit as effective as his other persona. The Celtics will be a better team next year no matter what happens Thursday night.

Those draftniks who think Bender is so amazing and athletic are the same ones who declared Thon is an average athlete.

These guys totally overrate Bender's athleticism, confusing a smooth running gait with athleticism, and confusing decent straight line quickness with agility and vertical explosiveness.

Bender's max vert leap is like 28". He can't create his own offense, he can't drive past defenders with a quick first step, he has no post moves, and couldn't back down defenders even if he did.

But to the "experts" with much invested in being right about Bender, they convince themselves that Bender will magically be an explosive athlete in the NBA, when in reality it's never going to happen.

How do they expect him to score 20 points a game? Even Bender's outside shot is only hyped because he has a very recent and very small sample size of shooting decently.

And if you guys think Olynyk is soft, just wait til you see Bender.

These "experts" think Bender is some great athlete because he looked good in U17 European play. They think that because Bender developed early that that must mean he has a lot of untapped upside. In reality his athletic profile is already set, and it's not anything special, at all. Unless you think Olynyk is a great athlete.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:31 pm

I just don't see any advantage of Bender over Kelly at all. Kelly already has the 3 point shot, height, and weight to compete in the NBA. More so than Bender. What if anything does Bender have over Kelly? And Kelly is a #13 pick who hasn't fared that well. Why would we draft at #3 for someone who is not as good as Kelly?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:02 pm

worcester wrote:I just don't see any advantage of Bender over Kelly at all. Kelly already has the 3 point shot, height, and weight to compete in the NBA. More so than Bender. What if anything does Bender have over Kelly? And Kelly is a #13 pick who hasn't fared that well. Why would we draft at #3 for someone who is not as good as Kelly?

you know..it's draft time of year!

every fan or draftnit has dreams of every pick becoming a hall of famer one day.

Bender could be a mix of Kukoc and Gasol...one would hope if so its the GOOD parts of each....LOL.

Chriss could be a second coming of Stoudamire or Shawn Kemp~!

go down the list of ach player in the top 10 and you will find someone , somewhere hawking such claims.

9o% of the time they are just players of various talent level in the end...but every now and then..........LOL.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:30 pm

I can think of several players that would be a good pick at # 3.  Bender is not on the list

He looks more like a mid 2nd rounder.

He is being over-hyped because Porzinkas came in and did very well so Jackson looks like a genius.  Bender has no meaningful stats to make an evaluation that he is going to be a great player let alone a good player in the NBA.  There is nothing to see there.  His highlight is a 43 point scoring stat line against a team of players that were in middle school.

Don't believe the hype.  Bender at # 3 what a joke

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down