cowens/oldschool
worcester
gyso
steve3344
BaronV
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER Empty DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 am

I am still scratching my head to make sense of this pick at #3 for Brown. OK I get it that Danny felt what was being offered in a trade for #3 was not enough or the talent had already hit its high water level and so what you see is what you get...............but Jaylen Brown at #3????!!!!!!!!

Yes, he is athletic, and yes he is 19 years old, and yes he has an NBA body now...........but the idea was to bring someone on who can play and contribute meaningful minutes NOW not 3 years from now. Clearly he cannot contribute in an area that the Celtics clearly need help in........shooting & scoring. In college he shot 29% from 3 point land and a 65% free throw shooter. OK, he did average 43% from the field, but how many were drives to the basket. In the NBA he will get a rude awakening if he thinks he'll score by driving. Some may point to the fact that he hit 73/100 shots in workouts, but was that under duress with a defenders hand in his face, or was it at a leisurely pace?

Plain and simple, he is a work in progress....2-3 years out....maybe.

My choice would have been Dunn who had various options attached. He will be a gifted PG who will reach All Star status or at the very most All NBA defensively. This gives Danny a number of options: Play him and if he shows promise, use one of your other PG's as trade bait for a much larger deal, or package and trade him for an established player or a young talent with a few years of NBA experience under his belt. Hey you can also reestablish a dialog with Philly and get a deal done without a pressure deadline of the draft.

My second choice would have been Buddy Hield a better choice if you were looking to get immediate gratification through scoring...... immediately............something we are sorely lacking. I do not know about his defense, but that can be taught and overlooked initially if the guy is canning 3's from long range and he is putting defensive pressure on the opposing team for a change. Would have been interesting to see IT and Hield on the court at the same time.

So we now have Brown.................perhaps Danny decided he wanted to take up chess and needed a chess partner on long flights...............or Danny out smarted himself with too many draft picks in one bit, and the rest of the NBA ganged up on him to offer him peanuts for the picks.

One thing I do not buy is Wyc and Danny saying we were not close in any of the deals...........hey they are putting publicity spin of a bad night for the Celtics..........what else can they say without being dragged into the Boston Commons and publicly flogged!!!!!!!

HOPING FOR THE BEST, BUT BRACING FOR THE WORST IN FREE AGENCY.........................112288

Back to top Go down

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER Empty Re: DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER

Post by BaronV Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:24 am

I don't know much about the players, but looking at what was done, I think Danny drafted for need, rather than looking at BPA.

I think a lot of people thought that given the demand for Dunn, the Cs would draft him and either keep him and trade Smart or Bradley, or trade Dunn later in the summer. The problem with that scenario is that all the other GMs would know that the Cs are over a barrel and need to unload one of their guards, and wouldn't offer full value for any of them unless Danny could somehow get a bidding war started. Likewise, Hield would have filled the scoring need, but still would have needed a roster move to make room for him.

Brown can slot in at SF behind Crowder and develop for his first year. Danny's not going to get anything for Young anyway, so they can just cut him to make the space for Brown.

With the other first round picks, looks like Danny filled two needs. First, he signed Euro players who likely indicated (unlike Bender) that they'd be willing to play in Europe again next year, helping with the roster crunch caused by all the picks. And both are big guys who have the potential to replace Sully / Zeller if the Cs do decide to bring them over this year.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER Empty Re: DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:31 am

I would have cut Young for Heild so the roster spot opens.

I agree that the 2 Euro picks were smart in a desperate situation to not add to the current roster by having them play in Europe for a year.

As I see it , we are in no man's land unless we get lucky in free agency. I see this team as a repeat of last year......good but not even close to #18.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 am

Winners and losers according to The Vertical. We're the first team profiled. Guess which category we fall in:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/draft-winners-and-losers-045714845.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am

"but the idea was to bring someone on who can play and contribute meaningful minutes NOW not 3 years from now. "

Not necessarily . . .

From a post BobH made last night:

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss
@CLNS_JaredWeiss 1 minute ago
#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck: "People call us up, thinking they can rip us off because they think we're in a hurry. Thanks but no thanks."

Reply Retweet Like

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t11228p100-the-official-draft-day-thread

(5th page, near the top)

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 am

Vert says this -"but not the type of players who will have the kind of immediate impact Boston needs to move up in the Eastern Conference."

Ok. But who says we're looking for immediate impact? No combo of factors was getting us #18 in June 2017. We don't need an immediate boost. We need to develop superstars from the draft. That's Danny's philosophy, and I respect it. Time will tell.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 am

GYSO

That is publicity spin at its highest................did you expect Wyc to come out and say we had a bad night?

It was a horrendous night unless your looking to 2019 when some of these players drafted may turn into gold or at most gold plated, untill then it's all fools gold!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am

I'll throw out another question while we are at it.

I had this in the back of my mind since he was named Director of Player Personnel in 2011...............Is Austin Ainge qualified to be in this position.................further, how healthy is it to have your own off-spring in your organization at such a high level?

That is cardinal rule 101 in Harvard Business School..........do not hire your own children and place them in key positions until they have worked in similar positions outside of your organization, and have demonstrated that they have mastered their position. Austin Ainge has never demonstrated the above litmus test.

This creates in my mind and own experience a major conflict between Danny, his son Austin and the Boston Celtic's. If Austin is not the sharpest knife in the draw in such a high position, is Danny going to fire his own son? Is Danny doing a disservice with the Boston Celtics ?

Where are we in player personnel since Austin assumed his position?

Just asking questions that is all!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I like the Jaylon Brown pick, if he grows into that high flying all star every team needs, its a great pick, kid is only 19, he can grow into Kawhi, what team couldn't use that? and if it takes time which it will for that growth, it will be worth it. The Euro guys I don't know that much about? on film they both showed something. We have to wait until camp and season starts and goes on before we praise or rip Danny....did I mention I wanted Gobert a few years ago?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Cow, It's been a long time, and I'm starting to suffer from Perktradecomplaint anemia. I need my booster shot.

Seriously, everybody criticizes Danny's drafts, yet somehow we are in the middle of a major rebuilt, made the playoffs two years in a row, have much new inexpensive talent here and coming. Yada, yada, yada is all I hear. Makes me think of Taylor Swift's song Shake It Off. Danny must listen to it all day long. Cause the haters gonna hate... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Love that video!

"Shake It Off"

I stay out too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say, mmm-mmm

I go on too many dates [chuckle]
But I can't make them stay
At least that's what people say, mmm-mmm

But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be alright."

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake

I never miss a beat
I'm lightning on my feet
And that's what they don't see, mmm-mmm
That's what they don't see, mmm-mmm

I'm dancing on my own (dancing on my own)
I make the moves up as I go (moves up as I go)
And that's what they don't know, mmm-mmm
That's what they don't know, mmm-mmm

But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop grooving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be alright."

And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake

Shake it off, I shake it off,
I, I, I shake it off, I shake it off,
I, I, I shake it off, I shake it off

Hey, hey, hey
Just think while you've been getting down and out about the liars and the dirty, dirty cheats of the world,
You could've been getting down to this sick beat.

My ex-man brought his new girlfriend
She's like "Oh, my god!" but I'm just gonna shake.
And to the fella over there with the hella good hair
Won't you come on over, baby? We can shake, shake, shake

Yeah ohhh

And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate (haters gonna hate)
I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break (mmmm)
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake (and fake, and fake, and fake)

I, I, I shake it off, I shake it off (you've got to),
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:21 pm

I think we need to remember that many of us wanted to make "the move" this year. we felt we had enough assets that Danny could make the trades/move needed to become an elite team again.

so after last night those of us that felt that way are understandably disappointed.

That said Brown was one of 3-4 players at #3 that you could make a solid argument for.

I personally think Danny had a deal with Philly if he wanted it and decided that Browns upside was higher, time will tell.

I do think we can all agree now, that we fans (and maybe Danny) have over rated the assets we have right now.

I think the other first rounders are draft and stash guys and I would be surprised if either is in camp this year.

maybe a big trade happens yet or some big time free agent decides this is the place to be..but frankly, at this point I expect Turner and Sully to be the big free agent signees and we struggle to improve over last seasons 48 wins.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Marc D’Amico: Danny Ainge on Jaylen Brown: “Jaylen is not a finished product but he’s not a bad shooter. A lot of guys come in as non-shooters & become good shooters.” 10 hours ago – via Twitter celtics

Scott Souza: #Celtics Danny Ainge: We grew very fond of Jaylen Brown. He’s a 19-year-old in a man’s body. He’s 19 year old kid who can play with the big boys. 10 hours ago – via Twitter Scott_Souza

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:26 pm

What player or players would have given the immediate impact needed in building a championship team that was available? Most draftees filled some need, but fell short on possible all star possibility. Do you think Heild is going to be an all star? Dunn maybe, but he too does not have outside shooting and the Celtics would have the problem of clearing out a guard to make room. Brown has an NBA ready body with elite athleticism and a good work ethic so they say. If he develops the jumper which is entirely possible he could be a perenial all star. To me Brown fits into the low risk/ high reward category. At worst he is a good defender who can take to the hole. At best a complete play with star potential. You know, the player the Celtics have trouble encouraging sign on as free agents.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

KennCelt wrote:What player or players would have given the immediate impact needed in building a championship team that was available? Most draftees filled some need, but fell short on possible all star possibility. Do you think Heild is going to be an all star? Dunn maybe, but he too does not have outside shooting and the Celtics would have the problem of clearing out a guard to make room. Brown has an NBA ready body with elite athleticism and a good work ethic so they say. If he develops the jumper which is entirely possible he could be a perenial all star. To me Brown fits into the low risk/ high reward category. At worst he is a good defender who can take to the hole. At best a complete play with star potential. You know, the player the Celtics have trouble encouraging sign on as free agents.

my thoughts exactly!! a good hard nosed physical high flying wing that can guard multiple positions with his athleticism and arm length, I'll take it. Ainge figured he could do more things and do them more dynamically than Hield.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Agreed Cow. Hield would be a great outside shooter but methinks that he has reached his top. Jaylen could soar from where he is now. Time will tell.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Ben Rohrbach
@brohrbach about 6 minutes ago
Ainge: “If Jaylen turns out to be a bad pick, then I deserve to be booed, for sure, but give the kid a chance. … The reaction is stupid."

Reply Retweet Like

Ben Rohrbach
‏@brohrbach
Or you could trust these guys over Ainge, whose staff has seen guys more than all of them combined.

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER Clur0JEWIAEMDit

(MY NOTE:  Yeah, trust the guy with a basketball for a hat.  Sure.)

Jared Weiss of CLNS Radio, Kevin O'Connor of Celticsblog and Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE break down the Brown pick:

Jared Weiss of CLNS Radio, Kevin O'Connor of Celticsblog and Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE break down the Yabusele pick:

Jared Weiss of CLNS Radio, Kevin O'Connor of Celticsblog and Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE break down the Zizic pick:

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:02 pm

worcester wrote:Vert says this -"but not the type of players who will have the kind of immediate impact Boston needs to move up in the Eastern Conference."

Ok. But who says we're looking for immediate impact? No combo of factors was getting us #18 in June 2017. We don't need an immediate boost. We need to develop superstars from the draft. That's Danny's philosophy, and I respect it. Time will tell.

I'm with you - I feel like Danny's playing the long game. He couldn't get the deal he wanted for an all-star type player, so he drafted for potential and rolled over his assets. The Brown pick is not bad at all. The kid won't be a start right away, but he has an NBA body, and can probably play defense soon/already. Thus, the kid fills a current need (he's a small forward) and can help immediately, AND, he might have as much potential as anyone in the draft. If he were a slightly better shooter, all the talking heads would have been singing his praises. His shot doesn't seem broken, so its entirely possible he can improve it. Seems bright, say he is a hard worker. I like it.

I'm also really warming to the French man-child at 16. This guy is 270, but doesn't seem fat like sully, but rather just big and strong. On top of that he is long, and seems to be quite quick and agile, with good body control, and soft hands. With that strength, length, quickness, and touch, he could be handful. Also, he is happy to play another year or two in europe. The croation center seems to have some potential as well - high motor, hard worked. I assume he will also play another year or two in europe. Thus, Danny avoided cashing in his chips on post-lottery talent, and simply rolled the assets over into draft-and-stash players that might be useful two years down the road. Similarly, he rolled the 31st and 35th into a future 1st, that could be a pick that falls just outside the lottery. Again, he rolled his assets over, setting the C's up for the long run.

I also like the Demetrius Jackson pick. Super ahtletic kid. Good passer, decent shooter, good bb IQ, hard worker, could have been a mid-to-late 1st round pick. As far as I can tell, the biggest knock on him is his height (6'1"). Given his athleticism, he might also be ready to defend in the nba, and could give us back up minutes at the point.

In summary, I think Danny was sort of masterful. Drafting fully for need would have been silly - we are just not anywhere near close enough that picking for need would make sense. Instead, Danny picked two players with huge potential who can also help now, and a couple of guys with potential who can help down the road.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

In summary, I think Danny was sort of masterful. Drafting fully for need would have been silly - we are just not anywhere near close enough that picking for need would make sense. Instead, Danny picked two players with huge potential who can also help now, and a couple of guys with potential who can help down the road.

That's kind of what I meant by 'drafting for need'.

One of our 'needs' was that we couldn't keep all 8 of our picks on next year's roster. Option 1 was trading, which we did with a couple of the 2nd rounders. Option 2 was picking high potential foreign players who could be left overseas next year. We did that with our two lower first rounders, and both were bigs, not more guards.

Another 'need' was using the top pick on a potential future star. While Dunn might have been an overall better player, he created more issues by not having a clear fit for him on the roster without another trade and since Danny didn't draft him, you can assume the offers they had gotten from other teams either for Dunn or Smart/Bradley/Rozier weren't overwhelming. The value of those guys post-draft would only go down, since other GMs would know Danny had to trade at least one of them. So he picked up a guy who is supposed to be a take it to the basket player on offense, and a good defender, and more importantly, actually fits into the roster as currently constructed. He can take Turner's spot as the backup SF, or if they resign Turner or sign another SF in free agency, they can just cut Young and slot him as the 3d option at SF.

What we didn't get out of the draft was a shooter. So either Danny didn't see what he wanted at #3 (Hield), or he's planning to fill that hole through free agency or trades.

I certainly would have been happier with trading the #3 for an established player. I would have been OK with Okafur, or happy with Bulter or Cousins. But none of those seem to have materialized, so the Cs needed to go to plan B. Hopefully plan B has more to it than just this, but overall, I'm not horribly disappointed with the moves made.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/06/2016_nba_draft_what_the_expert.html#incart_river_index

2016 NBA Draft: What the experts are saying about the Boston Celtics' draft night

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER 20640357-mmmain
Jaylen Brown answers questions during an interview after being selected third overall by the Boston Celtics during the NBA basketball draft, Thursday, June 23, 2016, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

Daniel Malone | Special to MassLive By Daniel Malone | Special to MassLive

on June 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM, updated June 24, 2016 at 12:06 PM

NBA Draft night has come and gone and opinions concerning the Boston Celtics's 2016 haul have been pouring in.

As one might expect, takes on Danny Ainge's draft class headlined by No. 3 overall pick Jaylen Brown have been varied. Here's a look at what some experts have been saying about Boston's draft performance.

Chad Ford (ESPN)
ESPN.com's Chad Ford gave Boston an overall "C" grade. That middle-of-the road approach seems to be the result of the summation of two different approaches to evaluating the Celtics's six-player class:

Based on pure talent, I really like five of the six players the Celtics netted Thursday. Boston probably gets an A- to B+ in that category.

The other way to grade the draft is on what we expected from the Celtics.

Here, they earn an F. The plan for all of these picks, as the Celtics have talked about on multiple occasions, was to package them (and players) to land a young All-Star.

The Vertical (Yahoo Sports)
Adrian Wojnarowski's "The Vertical" was, as expected, a bonafide star on draft night, providing fans with quick-breaking news and analysis on every pick. When it came to taking Jaylen Brown, the Vertical staff assessed a C+ grade:

Athletic, physical specimen. A lefty wing who had an up-and-down freshman season. Showed flashes of potential as a slasher and defender, using his quickness and explosiveness. Struggles from the perimeter limited his impact all season. Feel for the game isn't great. Consistency just wasn't there, but upside remains very intriguing.
Before that, Woj had tantalized Boston fans with the makings of a potential bomb that never materialized:

Follow
Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojVerticalNBA
Boston is controlling top of draft now, talking seriously with Sixers and Bulls, league sources say.
4:40 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 1,696 1,696 Retweets   1,333 1,333 likes

Sports Illustrated
SI noted that the Celtics "resist(ed) temptation" by laying off what might have been lopsided draft night trade offers not in their favor. As Andrew Sharp writes, Boston instead chose to play their hand as dealt:

However ... I really don't think this was that disastrous for the Celtics. Thursday may not have featured any brilliant moves, but it wasn't stupid, either. Stupid would've been gutting the core of the roster to chase Jimmy Butler, a player who's struggled with injuries and may not be good enough to make a suddenly depleted Celtics nucleus that much better than they were this year. Stupid would've been Ainge and Co. talking themselves into Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor as the stars they needed, or flipping the No. 3 for Serge Ibaka.

USA TODAY
The USA Today graded each of the Celtics's picks individually, ranging from B+ to C-. Overall, the takeaway here was a positive one for Boston, particularly with Brown at No.3:

The Celtics owned what was arguably the most coveted pick in the draft, and they used it on one of the most athletic frontcourt players available. Despite rumors that the Celtics were shopping the pick to the 76ers and the Chicago Bulls, they took Brown, who provides elite athleticism on the wing. He could also fit perfectly with Brad Stevens' defensive schemes.

Jeff Goodman (ESPN)
While many fans were no doubt disappointed with the lack of big, familiar names (via the draft or trade) that landed in Boston Thursday, there were more measured takes to be found. In particular, ESPN's Jeff Goodman seemed intent on talking Celtics fans off the ledge:

Follow
Jeff Goodman ✔ @GoodmanESPN
Sure, the Celtics didn't provide fireworks yesterday. But one HUGE overlooked issue: The Nets somehow found a way to get worse on Thursday.
6:29 AM - 24 Jun 2016
 72 72 Retweets   152 152 likes

Follow
As of today, I dare you to find a roster that is worse than that of the Brooklyn Nets. Celtics will swap with Nets next year, get pick in 08
6:30 AM - 24 Jun 2016
 80 80 Retweets   120 120 likes

Follow
I want early odds on the 2020 NBA Title. #Celtics
6:32 AM - 24 Jun 2016
 37 37 Retweets   81 81 likes

Follow
Celtics get some value in the second round with Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil. Ainge just trying to be able to go back out in public.
8:55 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 155 155 Retweets   272 272 likes

Follow
For Celtics fans: Don't jump off the ledge. Key is whether Jaylen Brown pans out. Good news -- the Nets got worse today.
7:49 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 133 133 Retweets   297 297 likes

Sam Vecenie (CBS Sports)
Not every take on the Celtics's night was as bullish as Goodman's. In putting together his team evaluations, CBS's Sam Vecenie led off his Boston entry by writing "Whew, where do we even start with this one?" He settled on continued NBA purgatory:

With eight picks, this was never going to be an easy situation for the Celtics to parse through. And in the end, the team did genuinely end up with five players that could play in the NBA at some point, plus another first rounder. But man, does this return feel light given what could have been here. It seems like they may have outsmarted themselves a bit and ended up keeping themselves in purgatory for the time being with a bunch of solid, yet unspectacular players.

Bill Simmons (The Ringer)
Does The Sports Guy qualify as an NBA Draft expert? Who knows, but his draft night tweets are always entertaining. At the very least, he probably sums up the fan reaction:

Follow
Bill Simmons ✔ @BillSimmons
The Celtics just took the 7th pick in the draft at no. 3 and used no. 16 on a French guy sitting in the stands. I'm gonna make a drink.
6:30 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 6,313 6,313 Retweets   9,120 9,120 likes

Follow
Celts turned 3-16-23-31-35 into Jaylen Brown, French Draymond, Fiesty Croatian Center + 2019 Clips 1st. Im lukewarm. https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/746175286077710337 …
8:04 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 354 354 Retweets   717 717 likes

Follow
I'm not against the Jaylen pick - just feels like they took the 6th or 7th pick at pick 3. Wish they had traded down - maybe they couldn't.
4:55 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 453 453 Retweets   1,045 1,045 likes

Follow
If Ante Zizic isn't playing for the Celtics next season, can I at least buy some beach chairs from him? Does he have a website?
8:20 PM - 23 Jun 2016
 221 221 Retweets   1,046 1,046 likes

bob
MY NOTE:  I think Danny has a good point.  Give Brown a chance.  Remember the Knicks fans' reaction last year when they took Porzingis?  Every one of them were wrong.  The only 3 players in this draft that are ready to make an immediate pick is #1 Ben Simmons, #2 Brandon Ingram and Buddy Hield and I'm not sure about Ingram's ability to create immediate impact.  That means if you are not picking first or second the only immediate impact player there for you is a player that might be a sure thing, but has definite limited upside in front of him.  

As far as Bill Simmons goes let's remember he's the guy who did the fist pump when Danny picked James Young.  He's an amusing, entertaining writer but I don't listen to his basketball recommendations anymore, not after that. That was an awful waste of a pick, FAR worse than any I saw last night.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm

http://nesn.com/2016/06/guerschon-yabusele-was-just-as-shocked-as-you-that-celtics-drafted-him-at-no-16/

Guerschon Yabusele Was Just As Shocked As You That Celtics Drafted Him At No. 16

by Cameron McDonough

on Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:45PM

The Boston Celtics shocked just about everyone when they selected Guerschon Yabusele with the No. 16 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, including Yabusele.

Yabusele, a 20-year-old stretch forward from France, was asked if he was expecting to be drafted by the Celtics as high as he was, and his answer was a resounding no.

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER ClrlayIWkAAZptA

Matt Dollinger ✔ @matt_dollinger Stunned the Celtics took Guerschon Yabusele at No. 16? So was he.
7:00 PM - 23 Jun 2016 81 81 Retweets 79 79 likes

The good news for the Celtics is Yabusele shot 42 percent from 3-point range and tallied 11.5 points and 6.8 rebounds in 28.7 minutes per contest this season for Rouen, a French club team. But The Vertical also is reporting Yabusele likely is a stash-and-dash player, meaning fans will have to wait a bit to see him in green. Maybe the shock will wear off by then?

bob
MY NOTE:  A 270# stretch forward!?  Holy Guacamole!  If you extrapolate his numbers out to /36mpg what you get is 14.4 points, 8.5 rebounds.  Sully's numbers last year, /36mpg, were 15.7 points and 12.7 rebounds.  He also shot 28% from 3, this guy shot 42%.  That's Jonas and Kelly territory, and they were up near the top of the league on 3pt fg%.  The kid can shoot and BOY is he large!  Solid, not flabby.

This guy is "Sully insurance".  If Sully re-signs for the price Danny wants then he gets stashed in France.  If Sully's price is too high then he's gone, by sign-and-trade or just gone, and this kid comes in.

Check out these videos.  Watch the draftexpress strength scouting report.  Watch his feet.  He has quick, light feet for a guy that size.  He.  Can.  Run.

Maybe it's my disappointment in Sully that's driving this, but I'm getting more jazzed about this guy, and Zizic, and even Jackson (even though the depth chart at guard is VERY deep right now) than I am about Brown.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:15 pm

I like that Brown said "Defense Wins Championships".

You got it, kid, that's the mantra here.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://nesn.com/2016/06/guerschon-yabusele-was-just-as-shocked-as-you-that-celtics-drafted-him-at-no-16/

Guerschon Yabusele Was Just As Shocked As You That Celtics Drafted Him At No. 16

by Cameron McDonough

on Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:45PM

The Boston Celtics shocked just about everyone when they selected Guerschon Yabusele with the No. 16 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, including Yabusele.

Yabusele, a 20-year-old stretch forward from France, was asked if he was expecting to be drafted by the Celtics as high as he was, and his answer was a resounding no.

DRAFT DAY + 1 SOBER BUT WITH A BIG HANGOVER ClrlayIWkAAZptA

Matt Dollinger ✔ @matt_dollinger Stunned the Celtics took Guerschon Yabusele at No. 16? So was he.
7:00 PM - 23 Jun 2016 81 81 Retweets 79 79 likes

The good news for the Celtics is Yabusele shot 42 percent from 3-point range and tallied 11.5 points and 6.8 rebounds in 28.7 minutes per contest this season for Rouen, a French club team. But The Vertical also is reporting Yabusele likely is a stash-and-dash player, meaning fans will have to wait a bit to see him in green. Maybe the shock will wear off by then?

bob
MY NOTE:  A 270# stretch forward!?  Holy Guacamole!  If you extrapolate his numbers out to /36mpg what you get is 14.4 points, 8.5 rebounds.  Sully's numbers last year, /36mpg, were 15.7 points and 12.7 rebounds.  He also shot 28% from 3, this guy shot 42%.  That's Jonas and Kelly territory, and they were up near the top of the league on 3pt fg%.  The kid can shoot and BOY is he large!  Solid, not flabby.

This guy is "Sully insurance".  If Sully re-signs for the price Danny wants then he gets stashed in France.  If Sully's price is too high then he's gone, by sign-and-trade or just gone, and this kid comes in.

Check out these videos.  Watch the draftexpress strength scouting report.  Watch his feet.  He has quick, light feet for a guy that size.  He.  Can.  Run.

Maybe it's my disappointment in Sully that's driving this, but I'm getting more jazzed about this guy, and Zizic, and even Jackson (even though the depth chart at guard is VERY deep right now) than I am about Brown.

Bob,

I don't think you can compare his 36mpg numbers in France to what he will do in the NBA.
First, he played for a team that had a 6-28 record in 34 games.
Also, he was just the 3rd leading scorer on his own team.
He has a very large body, but was not a good defender at all in France.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 pm

David Blatt, telling a story about new Celtic, Ante Zizic.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Once I got over my disappointment over no fireworks or homerun pick/trade, I started getting happy at what we have over my unrealistic expectations. Brown is what he is. He was in a second tier of 6 players who the 'niks said could be interchangeable and that is what they turned out to be. He's one of the few who has an NBA ready body and he has a skill set. So he will contribute sooner than last years picks. Next year, when many will still have a couple more years of getting ready, he will be flying and making Danny look good.

The next two picks are possible draft and stash players but Boston fans are going to like both of these guys. They are strong and they play that way. I like they want to play now. I think summer league will make fans of those who aren't now. Both "could" fit in future plans so their value will only increase as they get exposure. Trades, especially sign and trade, are still possible after July 1 and these guys have value even if only as potential.

Once again Danny found good value in the second round. There may be no room but they will get an opportunity and all can play and will compete and push others already on the roster. I really want to make it up for one of the summer leagues and see for myself.

People are going to be pleasantly surprised by these young guys and it will all shake out by training camp. Not what I was hoping for but still a C+ and maybe a B- by fall.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:49 pm

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/guerschon-yabusele

NBA Comparison: Gary Trent
Strengths: Modern face up power forward… Tremendous wingspan (measured at 7-1 feet) … Very good athlete with strong upper body and quick feet that help him make plays on both ends of the floor … Has improved his body and has shed some baby fat he had… Plays with a lot of passion … His body and shoulders suggest that he can add muscle in the future … He is really mobile for his size … Very good soft hands … Runs the floor extremely well for a big and is great in transition, with strong finishes at the basket … Always fights to establish good deep position … Moves well without the ball and he is a great slasher … Has shown the ability to turn to both shoulders when he is with his back on the basket… He already has some moves in the post with a lot of pump fakes … Improving shooter from the perimeter, going all the way to 3-point line … Can attack closeouts because possesses a good first step … Has improved on pick and roll situations as the screener … Already a threat on pick and pop situations as the screener … If he continues working he can become a prototypical Stretch-4 … Very good passer with good court vision… Can be the passer on High-Low situations … Relentless rebounder, especially on the offensive end of the floor… Willing defender… Has good low stance and really active hands, plus anticiption that help him make a lot of steals … His ability to cover ground quickly helps him when he defends pick and pop … If he continues working, his body structure and low center of gravity can help him become a good low post defender in the future … His defense off the ball is really good … Good weakside defender, with ability to challenge shots – and even make some blocks – thanks to his good jumping ability on two feet… Triming/toning down his body some would likely increase his speed and athleticism ...

Weaknesses: Despite his great length, at 6-8 he is viewed as being undersized as a power forward for the NBA level … He is still pretty raw in most aspects of the game … Hasn’t really be tested against elite competition yet, so it remains to be seen how his game will translate at the next level … Feel for the game is a question mark … Must continue working on his body and hit the gym to be able to become even stronger… Body type suggests that he may have to work hard in order to not become overweight ... At times he needs time to gather before jumping which can hurt him at the next level … Second jump isn’t as good as his first … Drives almost exclusively on straight lines and, at the moment, he really favors going right … His post game remains a work in progress and the same applies for his footwork with his back to the basket … He has shown the ability to turn over both shoulders, but he really prefers to turn on his left shoulder … Has really improved as a shooter, but he still lacks consistency from the 3-point line … At times he changes his release when opponents close out on him, with his shooting hand going a little bit to the right … His ball handling, especially his left hand, needs work … He sometimes sets screens at the wrong angles and doesn’t always roll hard to the basket … He really prefers to pop out rather than roll to the basket after he sets a screen, which is something that defenses usually read easily, but this can improve through time and experience … Lateral quickness is an issue on defense, since quick players can beat him off the dribble … Post defense needs improvement … Pick and pop defense is average at the moment … His high energy game and willingness to defend are used against him by more experienced players who can draw fouls from him … Has the tendency to gamble on defense, looking for the steal …

Outlook: Many in France believe he can become a Draymond Green type of versatile forward in the future ... Speaks English fluently ... His strong finish to the season (had a streak of four 20+ point games) has him on the bubble as a first round pick ... Played for one of France's Pro-A teams Rouen, who suffered through a difficult season, finishing among the bottom few teams in the league ... Worked out in Los Angeles against Vanderbilt bigman Damain Jones in late May ...

Notes: Measured in the Summer of 2015 at 6'7" without shoes, 7'1.5" wingspan and 8'9" standing reach... Turned a lot of heads with his performances in the 2015 Eurocamp … Played in Pro B until season 2014/15, which means that season 2015/16 was actually his first in Pro A… Signed a 3 year contract with Rouen in 2015… His favorite player is Draymond Green…

Stefanos Makris 5/29/16

Strengths: Has a tremendous combination of natural strength and explosiveness ... Bull in a China shop type of strength on the block. Absolutely bowls opponents over with his incredible core strength. Massive body structure but also has good dexterity ... Considering he's French, it's safe to assume it's natural strength. Meaning he could become even stronger when he gets on a serious weight training program ... Has extremely nimble feet and surprising skill for a player his size ... Has very good form and touch on his shot ... Can extend out to 3 point range with success and without having his shot mechanics break down ... Unlike many bigs his size, he can make plays in transition showing tremendous anticipation on steals as well as tipping balls without committing fouls ... Great body control both in the air and also shifting his weight to make plays on the ball ... Good at using fakes to get defenders off balance ... Understands how to use his massive arms and body strength to clear out space for shots ... Feel for game is solid ... Strong motor, competes hard. Smart kid ...

Weaknesses: Undersized at 6-7 for PF/C position, though he's got good length with a wingspan that appears in 7-foot range ... Thick limbs and barrel check limit his flexibility to some degree ... Lower body, legs and ass could use toning ... Plays extremely aggressive so will need to stay out of foul trouble ... Needs to improve from the line, as he his below 60 percecnt this season, at 58.3% ... Shot just 51 % from the floor so will need to improve his efficiency from the floor ...

Notes: Measured in the Summer of 2015 at 6'7" barefoot(MY NOTE:  That translates to almost 6'9" in sneakers), 7'1.5" wingspan, 8'9" standing reach, 24.5 standing vertical, 27.5 max vert, 3.425 3/4 court sprint ...

Aran Smith 6/12/15

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next