Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard

+5
bobheckler
kdp59
arambone
Matty
9 posters

Go down

Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard Empty Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 pm

By WEEI

The Celtics will reportedly get a meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard and apparently the team has a good shot at landing him.

According to Bovada, the Celtics have the best odds of landing Howard at 10/11 odds. The Hawks have the next highest odds at 3/2, followed by the Rockets at 10/1 and then the field at 5/2.

Howard opted out of a $23.2 million player option with Houston for next year, thus making him a free agent.

The 30-year-old averaged 13.7 points a game with 11.8 rebounds in 71 games with the Rockets last season.

Back to top Go down

Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard Empty Re: Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 pm

This could be interesting.

Back to top Go down

Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard Empty Re: Vegas: Celtics favorites to land Dwight Howard

Post by Matty Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:11 am

Well its not like we are trying to sign kobe Bryant at least...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 am

I'll say this, signing Dwight as a free agent would improve this team a lot more than trading Crowder, pick 3 (Brown), and pick 16 to the Bulls for Jimmy Butler.

Not only is beefcake center much more a position of need than SG, but not having to trade major assets for Dwight represents a clear, pure upgrade, whereas a trade is almost by definition a lateral move.

And we'd still likely have room to pick up Amir and Jerebko's contracts. Or Durant's contract.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:48 am

sure is funny reading everyone talking themselves into Dwight Howard love now.

seems like only yesterday that most Celtic fans wanted NOTHNING to do with Clark Kent.

man oh man.

Reminds me of my days as a Vikings fan in football. Everyone hated Fav're but as soon as the New Jersey owner signed him, most just loved the guy.

like I said I USED to be a Viking fan......LOL.

sometimes you have to have some level of integrity or not.

I sure hope Clark Kent is just playing with Ainge....or we will all end just as disappointed as EVERY other team he has ever worn the jersey for.

no heart or drive...sorry.

I'd rather keep Amir at center and bring in the Euro picks myself.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:03 am

Amir didn't play center until Sully got demoted from the starting lineup in the playoffs.

Danny will get the real scoop on Dwight from McHale, whatever that may be.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:47 am

Reminds me of that scene in "League of their Own" where Jon Lovitz says to a guy "You know, if I had your job, I'd kill myself.  Sit here while I see if I can dig up a pistol".

That's how I feel about Howard coming to Boston.  I feel like Jon Lovitz.

If we can't get Whiteside or Horford, then fine.  Sign Howard to a deal like Amir, a 1+1 with the 2nd year being a team option and I'll just stay drunk for a year.  Otherwise, N.O.  Signing a big, long-term contract with a player on his downside will turn us into the Detroit Pistons after they signed Charlie Villeneuve.  Dead weight.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 am

arambone wrote:I'll say this, signing Dwight as a free agent would improve this team a lot more than trading Crowder, pick 3 (Brown), and pick 16 to the Bulls for Jimmy Butler.

Not only is beefcake center much more a position of need than SG, but not having to trade major assets for Dwight represents a clear, pure upgrade, whereas a trade is almost by definition a lateral move.

And we'd still likely have room to pick up Amir and Jerebko's contracts. Or Durant's contract.

I thought you said we should play Olynck 40 minutes a game, that Stevens doesn't get it?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 am

I prefer Whiteside

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:25 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
arambone wrote:I'll say this, signing Dwight as a free agent would improve this team a lot more than trading Crowder, pick 3 (Brown), and pick 16 to the Bulls for Jimmy Butler.

I thought you said we should play Olynck 40 minutes a game, that Stevens doesn't get it?

Howard is exactly the kind of center the Celtics have been lacking for Olynyk's 3 years here. With a big center next to him, Olynyk should make a hell of a starting PF.

Olynyk is an elite backup center, but so would be a younger Dirk.

I'm not saying Olynyk is as good as Dirk, but neither's abilities would be fully maximized playing center exclusively.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:53 am

I think Whiteside will resign with the Heat.  Have not seen any chatter about him being connected to Boston.  

Atlanta cannot afford to lose Horford however a lot of Hawks fans down here understand that the Hawks need him and another big time player.  The Hawks would like to get a bigger more physical center.

On the defensive side of the ball Boston would be stronger with Howard but on offense how would Stevens add a low post option to the mix?  An inside out option may work as Howard can attract attention. But what about the high pick and role?  Lots of questions on offense but on Defense Boston could be exceptional at every level.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Well, another story for you to think about. A young coach for the Celtics was in the DD coffee shop this morning, a couple of the servers are big Celtic Fans, and were pumping him about Howard and Durant. His reaction was: Durant.....NO. Howard......a good chance he ends up here. Interesting. Whether he was telling these guys what they want to hear or not I do not know, but I found it funny he would even say anything.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 pm

i can understand why Ainge may take a look at Howard, but I am still of the thought that he needs to go somewhere else.

If we do end up with this guy at least it will only cost money and not picks or players. And, if we do get him it certainly needs to be a very short contract that the Cs can get out of quickly because this guy has done nothing but decline now for about 3 years.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:01 pm

There are so many differing opinions on this move, could it be that DA and management are just making it look good to the fans yelling for a move of some sort. Just making it look good without a sign. This way no one can say they aren't trying to get the big names out there's? Far out I know, but what would the majority of fans say if they didn't even try? Same thing with Carmelo at trade deadline. I am not convinced Danny realing wanted him but he looked good trying.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down