KyleCleric
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics linked to Dwight Howard Empty Celtics linked to Dwight Howard

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Celtics linked to Dwight Howard

WEEI Alex Reimer

The Celtics could sign an eight-time All-Star and three-time Defensive Player of the Year this summer for the veteran minimum –– or something close to it. Sounds great, right?

The answer to that question depends on your opinion of Dwight Howard.

The Hornets shipped Howard to the Nets this week, but the big man negotiated a buyout with Brooklyn, which means he’ll hit the open market July 1. Howard says he just wants to be part of a winning team.

“I want to be in a situation where I have an opportunity to help a team win,” he told ESPN’s Chris Haynes. “That’s my only goal. All I need is a real chance and a clean slate where it’s not people talking about my past.”

The Celtics’ status as one of the few true contenders in the Eastern Conference automatically makes them one of the supposed front-runners for Howard’s services. But there’s actual context to the speculation. As Yahoo Sports’ Chris Mannix notes, Danny Ainge has expressed interest in Howard in the past. Ainge is expected to pursue Howard again the summer, according to NBC Sports Boston’s A. Sherrod Blakely.

Howard, 32, rebounded last season with Charlotte, averaging 16.6 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks per game. At his peak, he was maybe the most dominant big man in the game. Howard led the Magic over LeBron James and the Cavaliers in the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals.

But since then, Howard’s career has torpedoed downwards. The Hornets were his third team in three seasons, and fifth club overall in a seven-year span. He’s clashed with Kobe Bryant, James Harden, and reportedly most of his Hornets teammates. From a talent perspective, Howard represents incredible upside on a small-money deal. His mercurial personality, however, makes the situation more complicated.

The Celtics will have to think twice before deciding whether to add Howard to their cohesive young roster.

Back to top Go down

Celtics linked to Dwight Howard Empty Re: Celtics linked to Dwight Howard

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:57 pm

I say take the shot if the money is right and the contract is short!

For Howard it is a shot of a life time. If he messes up, he'll be gone from the NBA, if he succeeds, he can ask for a big contract to end his career.

Hey, if Danny went for Rasheed Wallace who was way out of shape and not a good team guy, he cannot shy away from Howard.

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Rather have Baynes

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi,
Yes, his attitude is the key. I wonder if DA signs him to, say Vet min, will there be any way to get rid of DH if he "misbehaves"?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:18 pm

AK,

If the Cs decide to sign Howard at the vet minimum, he could just be released without much money lost if he does not fit in well.

This guy is not a stupid guy, so I will guess that if a good team like Boston signs him he will be able to make adjustments to fit in properly. I am sure that Ainge and Stevens will tell him up front what they will want him to do, he will agree and then it will be up to him to do what is required. Red Auerbach signed many guys like this who were at the end of their careers to make a difference for the Celtics.

Not totally sure that I like him replacing Baynes but am good with him replacing Monroe.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

wideclyde wrote:
Not totally sure that I like him replacing Baynes but am good with him replacing Monroe.

My sentiment exactly.

Thanks for the answer.
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm

112288 wrote:I say take the shot if the money is right and the contract is short!

For Howard it is a shot of a life time.  If he messes up, he'll be gone from the NBA, if he succeeds, he can ask for a big contract to end his career.

Hey, if Danny went for Rasheed Wallace who was way out of shape and not a good team guy, he cannot shy away from Howard.

If he is willing to accept the vet minimum the Celtics need to have a conversation with him.

Baynes is coming off of a $4.3 million contract and it would probably take at least that or more for him to resign. In any case he would want a 2-3 deal. Baynes played well for us but he only averaged 5 PPG and 5.4 rebounds. Howard on the other hand average 16.6 PP and remained a double digit rebounder at 12.5 per game which was 3rd in the NBA.

The only similarity between the two is that they are both short term guys that can help a team. Howard however separates himself from Baynes because he is way better and more productive. Baynes does not belong in the same conversation as Howard.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Baynes will sign a one year deal if he stays, so he can be UFA again the next year. I believe we will than have his bird rights and can offer him a lot more money.

as for Howard..I don't want him ANYWEHRE around Robert Williams...sorry NO WHERE CLOSE!!

just sayini'
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 pm

kdp59 wrote:Baynes will sign a one year deal if he stays, so he can be UFA again the next year. I believe we will than have his bird rights and can offer him a lot more money.

as for Howard..I don't want him ANYWEHRE around Robert Williams...sorry NO WHERE CLOSE!!

just sayini'

I disagree.

Everyone bad mouths Howard but no specifics.

Howard would have little impact on Williams. The entire Celtics organization is more than enough to help Williams develop and mature both on and off the court.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 pm

stuperman has worn out his welcome too many times for there to be nothing there.

he's a team cancer obviously. why take a chance on someone like that..no thanks.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

kdp59 wrote:stuperman has worn out his welcome too many times for there to be nothing there.

he's a team cancer obviously. why take a chance on someone like that..no thanks.

I agree. Pretty much the entire Charlotte Hornets team wanted him gone. He is a clown who takes nothing seriously. He is a selfish player. He is a bad influence and a bad example to have around young players.

I'd rather bring Monroe back. He proved himself to be a true professional.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:24 am

Just resign Smart and Baynes , then call it an off-season

Monroe can move on and Howard can find something else to do.

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Irving

Smart
Rozier
Morris
Baynes
Theis

Semi
Williams
Yabusele
Nader

that's 14 guys by my count. Leaving a roster spot open for someone later if we get hit by injuries or a vet with the right attitude is free later in the year.

Let Stuperman go mess up some other team.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am

kdp59 wrote:Just resign Smart and Baynes , then call it an off-season

Monroe can move on and Howard can find something else to do.

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Irving

Smart
Rozier
Morris
Baynes
Theis

Semi
Williams
Yabusele
Nader

that's 14 guys by my count. Leaving a roster spot open for someone later if we get hit by injuries or a vet with the right attitude is free later in the year.

Let Stuperman go mess up some other team.

Yup. Though they'll need to sign Bird to retain him and will have a 2-way spot to fill

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:25 am

It is a no brainer ..................Low Contract $$$ amount ....................YOU SIGN HIM UP!

At this point ............. Howard is not sitting back and collecting a massive check ...........Brooklyn took care of that!

At this point Howard is looking at 3 things for himself:

1) A championship to add to his career and a shot at the HOF

2) Prove he can put the stats up and be a contributor and not a problem...which leads to #3

3) Next years final career BIG CONTRACT.

He is better then Monroe and can rebound the shxt out of the basketball which we lacked this year against bigger teams.  He is also not soft and provides shot blocking and the ability to standup against other physical centers unlike Horford.

ALL UPSIDE FOR BOSTON IF HE PERFORMS....AND IF HE DOES NOT ....RELEASE HIM!

I will go out and say RIGHT NOW....with Howard and if he performs.... we win Banner #18 next year!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:51 am

Sign Bird, Howard, and Baynes. Dump Nader.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am

Worcester

Just what I was thinking!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am

#18 Baby!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 am

While we’re at it dump Morris, rather have Al getting some minutes at the 4, plus Theis.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:51 am

Yes. Dump Morris too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 pm

How many specifics do you need? How many teams has this guy been on?? His biggest mistake was fighting with Van Gundy and demanding a trade. Then his whirlwind tour of the NBA began. Attitude has alot to do with his. He has physical talent, there is no doubt about that, it is what is between the head sets that sends up red flags to me. I really would hate to see him come into the Celtic locker room and change the culture there. They all get along so well.

On top of all of that, forget Baynes if Howard comes. Aron Baynes was a main figure in that locker room last season, the guys respected him and listened to him,

Let Howard bounce around to another team, he has too much baggage for my liking
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Morris is not the absolute best player to have in the league but for five million he did bring some solid scoring and toughness to last year's team especially when Smart was injured.

He does have flaws, but for the same price this year he should get a roster space as long as he realizes that he is unlikely to start very often and also that he is likely to get fewer minutes as well.

If Morris can be real professional and get over not playing as much as last year, a team vying for a championship really can never be too deep.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Baynes brought a lot to last year's team, but Howard is a far superior on-the-court player, in my opinion. He basically doubled Baynes's stats in both rebounding and scoring while only playing a couple of more minutes per game.

Of course, there is always "stuff" to be considered beyond stats, but having both Baynes and Howard would keep Horford out of the center spot for longer stretches of time and would also help to lower his total minutes next season.

If Howard is serious about looking for a team to win a championship and would make himself available at the vet minimum, he would be even less expensive than Monroe was last season and would make a much larger contribution.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

If Howard wouldn't listen to Kobe Bryant trying to get Howard to change his ways, what makes anyone think he will listen to Brad Stevens? Kobe said "let me teach you how to be a champion."

Howard didn't listen, instead he chose to continue playing at being a clown.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm

16 years ago Howard was on a spiritual path. He left the path. Blinded by ego. Maybe he can get back on the path, with the help of Celtics basketball, to regain his emotional poise and his basketball career. Maybe not.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 pm

is it really worth the risk??? It has always been about the God almighty dollar with Howard, what makes anyone think it will be different on the Celtics. Even Rondo wore down Stevens
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next