It's Not Official, But...

+2
bobheckler
wideclyde
6 posters

Go down

It's Not Official, But... Empty It's Not Official, But...

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Ben BolchVerified account
‏@latbbolch
Nothing official, but person close to Paul Pierce says he intends to play next season.
RETWEETS

bob
MY NOTE:  Well...there's a shooter for ya, Danny, and I'm sure he'd be just fine with a 1 year deal.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

It's Not Official, But... Empty Re: It's Not Official, But...

Post by swish Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Would be a nice addition if and when they are a legitimate contender. We're at least 1 elite player away from joining the ranks of the top 4 or 5 teams. As it stands right now - no thanks. Use the roster spot for future development.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:42 pm

swish wrote:Would be a nice addition if and when they are a legitimate contender. We're at least 1 elite player away from joining the ranks of the top 4 or 5 teams. As it stands right now - no thanks.  Use the roster spot for future development.

swish

swish,

Wouldn't "development" include the experience gained by going deeper into the playoffs, and wouldn't Pierce help with that?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Not in my opinion. I don't see a better record next year as being a factor in the future success of the Celtics.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm

swish wrote:Not in my opinion. I don't see a better record next year as being a factor in the future success of the Celtics.

swish

Swish,

I'm not talking about the record, I'm talking about the development gained from the experience of going deeper into the playoffs.  Unless you pull off a coup like Danny did in 2007 championship contenders don't just spring out of the ground fully formed.  GSW had a few 50 or so win years and then added a couple of pieces like Bogut and Iggy.  In the meanwhile, Curry and Thompson and Barnes were gaining valuable experience by making the playoffs.  

Veteran teams do better than young teams, that includes the playoffs, and players become veterans through experience and that includes playoff experience.  You cannot "teach" a player what it's like to be in the ECF.  You can talk to them about it and help them prepare but there is no education better than actual experience.  Pierce could help the tutoring as well as help us advance.  

Lastly, a team that reaches the Conference Finals is a more attractive one for elite free agents.

I don't see how adding a young end-of-bencher develops us towards anything. They're not going to become all-stars. They may not even become more than minimally acceptable trade bait. So, what's to develop?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:42 pm

bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:Not in my opinion. I don't see a better record next year as being a factor in the future success of the Celtics.

swish

Swish,

I'm not talking about the record, I'm talking about the development gained from the experience of going deeper into the playoffs.  Unless you pull off a coup like Danny did in 2007 championship contenders don't just spring out of the ground fully formed.  GSW had a few 50 or so win years and then added a couple of pieces like Bogut and Iggy.  In the meanwhile, Curry and Thompson and Barnes were gaining valuable experience by making the playoffs.  

Veteran teams do better than young teams, that includes the playoffs, and players become veterans through experience and that includes playoff experience.  You cannot "teach" a player what it's like to be in the ECF.  You can talk to them about it and help them prepare but there is no education better than actual experience.  Pierce could help the tutoring as well as help us advance.  

Lastly, a team that reaches the Conference Finals is a more attractive one for elite free agents.

I don't see how adding a young end-of-bencher develops us towards anything.  They're not going to become all-stars.  They may not even become more than minimally acceptable trade bait.  So, what's to develop?

bob

bob

We're going into our 5th year of the rebuild and I believe that the the players around the league are now aware of the coaching abilities of Brad Stevens, and I would assume that they also have opinions as to the level of talent on the team as of now. And I would also reason that they are aware of the future draft picks and cap space that the Celts have available over the next 2 years. The fact that Horford signed up and Durant considered the Celts is good enough for me. Since the rebuild started my focus has always been on having THE CHIPS AVAILABLE to make the moves necessary to move up to the serious contender level. I do agree with you on the fact that teams with seasoned veterans have the best path to championships. And since we are still in a rebuild mode I would take a young 19 or 20 year old over a seasoned mid 30's vet as my 14 or 15 player. On average, the posters on this board are quite up beat about this teams future. I gotta believe that the players and the agents are also aware of this potential - and if there not I bet that Danny will give them an ear-full.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:03 pm

swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

Swish,

I don't see how adding a young end-of-bencher develops us towards anything.  They're not going to become all-stars.  They may not even become more than minimally acceptable trade bait.  So, what's to develop?

bob

bob

We're going into our 5th year of the rebuild and I believe that the the players around the league are now aware of the coaching abilities of Brad Stevens,  and I would assume that they also have opinions as to the level of talent on the team as of now. And I would also reason that they are aware of the future draft picks and cap space that the Celts have available over the next 2 years. The fact that Horford signed up and Durant considered the Celts is good enough for me. Since the rebuild started my focus has always been on having THE CHIPS AVAILABLE to make the moves necessary to move up to the serious contender level. I do agree with you on the fact that teams with seasoned veterans  have the best path to championships. And since we are still in a rebuild mode I would take a young 19 or 20 year old over a seasoned mid 30's vet as my 14 or 15 player. On average, the posters on this board are quite up beat about this teams future. I gotta believe that the players and the agents are also aware of this potential - and if there not I bet that Danny will give them an ear-full.

swish

Swish,

4th year. This is the 4th year of the rebuild.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:04 pm

I can see both sides.

First, Paul Pierce is a CELTIC LEGEND and he would add some things to our 2017 team based on experience alone (even if he were not already a team legend).

Second, signing Paul Pierce will not be done to add him as a 14th or 15th player on a roster. If he is signed he will certainly play at the end of all close games for sure as well as about 15 other minutes per game. He may help to win a couple of games in this role, but will take these same opportunities from our other (and younger players) while doing so.

Seems like an absolutely great debatable topic that neither side could effectively win on July 9th. I am sure that our Friday morning Celtics breakfast group will be all over this next week.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:16 pm

wideclyde wrote:I can see both sides.

First, Paul Pierce is a CELTIC LEGEND and he would add some things to our 2017 team based on experience alone (even if he were not already a team legend).

Second, signing Paul Pierce will not be done to add him as a 14th or 15th player on a roster.  If he is signed he will certainly play at the end of all close games for sure as well as about 15 other minutes per game.  He may help to win a couple of games in this role, but will take these same opportunities from our other (and younger players) while doing so.

Seems like an absolutely great debatable topic that neither side could effectively win on July 9th.  I am sure that our Friday morning Celtics breakfast group will be all over this next week.

Gotta love a guy who posts regularly on an online Celtics board AND has a weekly Celtics breakfast.

Invite them to join us here, why don't you?

"The Boston Celtics:  they're not just for breakfast anymore"tm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:19 pm

I think Pierce is washed up. Even two years ago he didn't make any impact at all until he made a couple clutch shots in the playoffs.

I think Pierce is overrated as a mentor and a leader too. He was never the type to go out of his way to take a young player under his wing.

If this young Celtics team needs to learn about the Eastern Conference Finals, Danny can bring in Bill Russell, Bill Walton, or himself for a pep talk.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

We're going into our 5th year of the rebuild and I believe that the the players around the league are now aware of the coaching abilities of Brad Stevens,  and I would assume that they also have opinions as to the level of talent on the team as of now. And I would also reason that they are aware of the future draft picks and cap space that the Celts have available over the next 2 years. The fact that Horford signed up and Durant considered the Celts is good enough for me. Since the rebuild started my focus has always been on having THE CHIPS AVAILABLE to make the moves necessary to move up to the serious contender level. I do agree with you on the fact that teams with seasoned veterans  have the best path to championships. And since we are still in a rebuild mode I would take a young 19 or 20 year old over a seasoned mid 30's vet as my 14 or 15 player. On average, the posters on this board are quite up beat about this teams future. I gotta believe that the players and the agents are also aware of this potential - and if there not I bet that Danny will give them an ear-full.

swish

Swish,

4th year.  This is the 4th year of the rebuild.

bob

bob

I included the 2012-13 season when they were 41-40 and lost in the E CONF 1st round.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm

swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

I included the 2012-13 season when they were 41-40 and lost in the E CONF 1st round.

swish

Why? That wasn't a rebuild team. That was the opposite of a rebuild team.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm

I can see why some would want Pierce on the Celtics for one more year. But, his skills are no longer effective in the NBA.
Just as KG and Kobe have very little left, Pierce is now an extremely poor and slow defender and his legs/shot are no longer there.

Pierce could have a long career as a Celtics executive, but he should call it a career.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:41 pm

arambone wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

swish

Your right. I'll re-write it to - Its been 4 years since we advanced beyond the 1st round.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:01 pm

TJ This is where I agree with you. Paul is now becoming one of those guys who hangs on one or two seasons too long and to me, his image suffers a little. At least KG is admitting that he is more a coach helper on the bench with these young guys. Oh well, time will tell

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:55 pm

swish wrote:
arambone wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

swish

Swish,

bob

bob

swish

Your right. I'll re-write it to - Its been 4 years since we advanced beyond the 1st round.

swish

And it's been at least 3 years since Danny had a player on the roster with a standing reach taller than Danny Ainge's. His theory is that shorter stronger players can overall play the same as taller guys, but that works more for guards, and every team needs at least one or two lanky guys who can simply reach as high as the other team's lanky players.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down