Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3

+2
mulcogiseng
worcester
6 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:12 pm

http://www.nba.com/games/20160712/BOSDAL/gameinfo.html

Rozier with team high 26 points. 14-18 fts. By far the best Celtic.

Brown with 20 but only 4-11 from the field and 12-17 from the line. Not efficient at all. 10 rebounds, 4 steals. I've seen him repeatedly making brain dead plays. He lazily inbounded the ball right to a Maverick. Gotta get your head into the game, kid.

AJ Hammons played for Dallas. Didn't look good. Didn't use his height and strength against Mickey. Dropped some passes. Got outrun down the floor by Mickey. Looks slow for the game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Chris Forsberg
Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg about 10 minutes ago
Just summer league but Jaylen Brown has drawn shooting fouls on 25.5% of plays finished. Crowder led C’s last year at 11.2% via @SynergySST

Reply Retweet Like

ay King
@ByJayKing 1 hour ago
Rozier on Jaylen Brown: "When the game slows down for him and he slows his mind down, this league is perfect for him. ... I told him that."

Reply Retweet Like

Jay King
Jay King
@ByJayKing about 1 hour ago
One thing the Celtics coaches are trying to stress to Jaylen Brown: getting more into his guy defensively.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Dallas Mavericks, Vegas Summer League Game 3

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:22 pm

For a raw kid who totally does not have his game together he sure does have the WOW factor, once he gets it, he is gonna really help us. Has a competitive nature on defense already that Kevin Durant still doesn't have and never had, has a burst that you cannot teach, you either have it or you don't and hes got it. Has to learn to protect the ball on his drives, see alot of potential Dominique in his game with better defense.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Rozier is a leader. I really like the way he speaks to and about Jalen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:11 pm

In other news there was a great interview with Coach Brad. He tried to put to rest rumors of Yabusele returning to Europe with an emphatic 'that isn't decided yet' and then there was something about the NBA not being a league for teenagers. What nerve with the way he looks. lol Two more games at least. Brown said in the post game interview that the C's would win the championship. He said it without a smile and with a chip. It didn't sound half bad.

One other thing I want to say about his interviews, he always admits he didn't play as well as he should, saying today he has to hit his freethrows. And he always promises to play better next time. I really like that. He's a serious kid.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:17 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:For a raw kid who totally does not have his game together he sure does have the WOW factor, once he gets it, he is gonna really help us. Has a competitive nature on defense already that Kevin Durant still doesn't have and never had, has a burst that you cannot teach, you either have it or you don't and hes got it. Has to learn to protect the ball on his drives, see alot of potential Dominique in his game with better defense.

Dominique came right to mind when he hit that turnaround jump shot. Wilkins with better D is as good a comparison as I've seen. Nice one, Cow.

His athleticism is so insane that Jordan and Westbrook come to mind too.

Who the hell is going to be able to defend Brown? He can get his shot off at will, and his pull up jumper is only going to improve. In a couple years he'll have a nice floater with either hand too.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:34 am

I guess he's stronger and more physical than 'Nique though. Jimmy Butler or bigger DWade I guess, if he puts it all together.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 am

[quote="cowens/oldschool"]For a raw kid who totally does not have his game together he sure does have the WOW factor, once he gets it, he is gonna really help us. Has a competitive nature on defense already that Kevin Durant still doesn't have and never had, has a burst that you cannot teach, you either have it or you don't and hes got it. Has to learn to protect the ball on his drives, see alot of potential Dominique in his game with better defense.[/quote]

Cow,

Right now I'm seeing Jaylen Brown like a 6'7" Marcus Smart.  He has the ganas of Smart, he is athletic and he has all the makings of coming into the league with an NBA-ready defense like Smart.  Unfortunately, he also has Smart's offense.  

Offensively, he has taken only a few outside shots so I haven't developed an opinion about his shooting mechanics, but he hasn't shot well.  He is something like 10-36 in summer league so far.  It might just be nerves. When he gets in the open court going north-south he looks very good.  He makes some bad decisions, which was the rap on him @ Cal, but he's 19 and barely had time to adjust to the college game and now he has to adjust to the pros, so I'm going to cut him some slack there too.  He has only laced up NBA sneakers for 3 or 4 games.  If his shooting does not improve, like Smart's hasn't, he would be a disappointing 3rd pick.

Defensively, when he fills out and spends a few years iwith BDoo building strength,  he could be a 3, maybe even 4, position defender.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:54 am

Brown's first step is night and day better than Smart's. And Brown jumps a lot higher.

Brown's quick first step is more of a mismatch at SF than even Rozier's is at PG.

Just my opinion, but Brown will very much still have the quickness advantage against LeBron, Durant, or pretty much any wing you can think of, outside of prime 2008 Tony Allen.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:44 am

arambone wrote:I guess he's stronger and more physical than 'Nique though. Jimmy Butler or bigger DWade I guess, if he puts it all together.

rambone harness, harness

I said potential Dominique with better defense

I love his attributes and attitude defensively, he gets after it. In the previous game I was saying to my son, lets see if he can stay in front of Devin Booker, a great young talent whose offense and stroke is way ahead of Brown's right now. Then during the game on a switch Brown was on him with intense body language at the top of the key, Booker tried to juke him and drove the left side, Brown was so with and on him and used that great burst and length and swatted Bookers drive attempt, that intense display had me at Hello.

I love his potential, but he has alot of hard work ahead of him just to get to Bookers level and then even more work to get near Dominique's level. Lets give Dominique some more respect, besides great highlight dunking ability and finishing ability, Nique also had a lethal post up game and agree that Brown's turnaround was pure Nique-like, but he's still got years of work to get there and Nique was a strong physical highlight reel type player HoF 27,000 point scorer that any franchise would be thrilled to have, and those players don't grow on trees.....I wish he could be near as strong as primetime Nique.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:49 am

arambone wrote:Brown's first step is night and day better than Smart's. And Brown jumps a lot higher.

Brown's quick first step is more of a mismatch at SF than even Rozier's is at PG.

Just my opinion, but Brown will very much still have the quickness advantage against LeBron, Durant, or pretty much any wing you can think of, outside of prime 2008 Tony Allen.

hes already a much better defender than Durant, in a few years I see him taking it right to Durant and his defense will give Durant problems right now

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:For a raw kid who totally does not have his game together he sure does have the WOW factor, once he gets it, he is gonna really help us. Has a competitive nature on defense already that Kevin Durant still doesn't have and never had, has a burst that you cannot teach, you either have it or you don't and hes got it. Has to learn to protect the ball on his drives, see alot of potential Dominique in his game with better defense.

Well by his 2nd season at Georgia Nique was a 23.6 point, 7.5 rebound guy shooting 53% from the field and 75% from the line in 37.3 minutes per game. I woulda liked to have seen Brown go back to school and do that, but you can't fault a kid who was picked 3rd. A 2nd rd pick like Patrick McCaw or Daniel Hamilton could have used another year to make a Buddy Hield like improvement and be solidly in the mid-first rd next year, but Brown clearly has an upside that can't be overlooked. 

If Brown can play above average D on SF's and make players fear his speed and power enough on penetration plays to sag off guys who can shoot like Horford, Thomas, Olynyk and Bradley, then I will be happy. 

I think Rozier can replace Turner's play-making and ball-handling (to a certain extent) and instead of a 5 man weave of guys getting 28-32 minutes (Bradley, Thomas, Smart, Turner, Crowder) it will be six, with Brown and Rozier asked to split Turner's minutes and role.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
arambone wrote:I guess he's stronger and more physical than 'Nique though. Jimmy Butler or bigger DWade I guess, if he puts it all together.

rambone harness, harness

I said potential Dominique with better defense

I love his attributes and attitude defensively, he gets after it. In the previous game I was saying to my son, lets see if he can stay in front of Devin Booker, a great young talent whose offense and stroke is way ahead of Brown's right now. Then during the game on a switch Brown was on him with intense body language at the top of the key, Booker tried to juke him and drove the left side, Brown was so with and on him and used that great burst and length and swatted Bookers drive attempt, that intense display had me at Hello.

I love his potential, but he has alot of hard work ahead of him just to get to Bookers level and then even more work to get near Dominique's level. Lets give Dominique some more respect, besides great highlight dunking ability and finishing ability, Nique also had a lethal post up game and agree that Brown's turnaround was pure Nique-like, but he's still got years of work to get there and Nique was a strong physical highlight reel type player HoF 27,000 point scorer that any franchise would be thrilled to have, and those players don't grow on trees.....I wish he could be near as strong as primetime Nique.

Yeah, Brown has lots of work to do as a shooter. I remember when the Celtics got 'Nique, that turnaround jumper was just about the only move he had left.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down