wideclyde
kdp59
9 posters

Go down

Gerald Green is back Empty Gerald Green is back

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 am

at least there are reports out there saying so:

Zeller next?

https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Gerald Green is back Empty Re: Gerald Green is back

Post by wideclyde Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06 am

This could mean that Ainge has decided not to make a more significant move this summer.

If so might as well sign Zeller to a one year deal as a back up to Horford and Johnson at the center position.

Gives the Cs a decent back up center on a one year contract which makes Zeller a complete free agent next summer and goes along with Green on a one year deal to allow even more of spending room next summer and lots of flexibility at the trading deadline next February.

Both are decent pieces who are likely better than the three second round picks this year and should help improve our 48 win 2016 season.

I'd get rid of James Young and let the three second rounders fight it out for his roster spot.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Gerald Green is back Empty Welcome Back Gerald Green

Post by painter33 Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am

Completely aside from the other roster considerations, Green is actually a very good fit for this Celtics team - he's still a tremendous athlete who can run and rise, has gotten better shooting threes, and is certainly a more mature player than he was the first time around. He'll be a good match with IT and can defend (if he wants to) a variety of positions. Of course, he has his weaknesses or he would have had a more stable career. Should be fun to watch.
painter33
painter33

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:20 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17130389/boston-celtics-sign-gerald-green-one-year-deal

Celtics to sign Gerald Green to one-year deal

7:53 AM PT

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

The Boston Celtics will sign free-agent swingman Gerald Green, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The news was first reported by the Sporting News.

Green is expected to ink a one-year deal with the team that originally selected him with the No. 18 pick in the 2005 draft. He spent two seasons with Boston before being dealt to the Minnesota Timberwolves as part of the Kevin Garnett deal in 2007.

Gerald Green is back I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0109%2Fr42705_1296x729_16%2D9
Gerald Green averaged 8.9 points and shot 39.2 percent in 69 games as Dwyane Wade's backup in the Heat's rotation last season. Oscar Baldizon/NBAE/Getty Images

The 31-year-old Green averaged 8.9 points per game in 69 appearances for the Heat last season, including 14 games as a starter. An erratic season for Green saw the nine-year veteran go from being a high-scoring sixth man for the Heat in the first half of the season to barely playing over long stretches entering the playoffs. Despite those inconsistencies with his role, Green repeatedly said he hoped to remain in Miami long term.

Stability, however, has evaded Green for most of an NBA career in which he's played for the Celtics, Houston Rockets, Timberwolves, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Indiana Pacers and Phoenix Suns. He signed a one-year deal for the veterans minimum with the Heat last summer.

Green has shot 36.1 percent beyond the 3-point arc for his career. During the 2013-14 season with Phoenix, Green shot 40 percent while hoisting a career-high 510 attempts.

Information from ESPN's Michael Wallace was used in this report.

bob
MY NOTE:  http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenge01.html

Last year in Miami:

22.6mpg, 39.2%fg%, 32.3% 3pt fg%, 78% ft%, 2.4rpg, .8 assists, .7TOs, .3 blocks, going on 31 years old.

Danny, what are you doing?  We need length, beef and a shooter.  Green is none of the above.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:38 am

DANNY IS A CHEAPSKATE.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:40 am

Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg about 23 minutes ago
Green reax: Adds depth, shooting. Cheaper than JR Smith (espn.go.com/blog/boston/ce…). Shot 40% from 3 in 14. Not great news for James Young.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE: The only good news for James Young is that he finally figured out how to be a baller.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:42 am

How did James Young figure out anything?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:02 am

he's one of the better 3 point shooters left out there, folks.

even if last year was a down season in his %.

what do you want for vet minimum?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Oh I get it Bob. Gerald green finally figured out how to be a baller and that bodes well for James Young. I like Danny picking up a good 3 point shooter for the Vet minimum on a short term contract. He has all his options open.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Who goes with the addition of Gerald Green?

Gerald Green, 1 year, veteran's minimum.  $1.41M.

James Young, 1 year left on contract, $1.82M.  Played 199 minutes last year.

RJ Hunter, 1 year left on contract (team options after that), $1.2M.  Played 315 minutes in his rookie year.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.  You get a guy who has proven he can play in the NBA and save .41M by cutting the guy who averaged fewer minutes/year over 2 years than the rookie did despite being a #17 pick vs the #28 pick.

Hunter spent the last month or so working on his game and adding much needed weight.  James Young added weight too.  I don't know how much, but that new nose ring of his has to weigh something.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Getting Green is a case of addition by subtraction. Bye bye JY.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:21 pm

worcester wrote:Oh I get it Bob. Gerald green finally figured out how to be a baller and that bodes well for James Young. I like Danny picking up a good 3 point shooter for the Vet minimum on a short term contract. He has all his options open.

worcester,

Yeah, I didn't write that very well, did I?

What I should have written is "what would be good news for James Young would be if he figured out how to be a baller".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Bob, it's not that you were unclear. It's just that I am slow-witted, having mowed the yard just now in 96+ degree weather.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:45 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, it's not that you were unclear. It's just that I am slow-witted, having mowed the yard just now in 96+ degree weather.

worcester,

Good practice, in case you need to push me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 pm

I guess this is what I get for taking that dadgum poll before I read the other threads about these signings. LOL At this point the operative words for us to follow from Danny is that he is looking to preserve cap space and flexibility, he's not adding a third amigo, (hey Sam), he's not setting off more fireworks, he's getting ready for the regular season, filling out the roster, maintaining flexibility as we head towards the season and the trade deadline. Time to be even more patient as we know that Trader Danny never sleeps and we can trust Bob to let us know where the beef is.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:46 pm

I will say this for Green he has managed to stay in the NBA after playing overseas

So my question is this. Could Crowder be on the block?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Responding to a few points made in this thread.

James Young has not figured anything out and does not appear able to figure out how to play NBA basketball no matter who else is on the team. If Coach Stevens and his fine staff have not yet reached this kid, he may just not be reachable. Remember that there have been many fine physical specimens who have not succeeded in the NBA for various reasons.

Gerald Green was James Young about 10 years ago and now he is signing for a vet minimum. Hope he can help, but the vet minimum contract may say something. He will at least be better than James Young and clearly is the guy who is going to put James Young on another NBA team or possibly back in the D League full time since he plays the exact same position as Young and was not signed to sit the bench behind Mr. Young.

I would most certainly hope that signing Green will not be part of ANY type connection to ANY type of trade of Jae Crowder. Crowder is the GLUE of our team, and can only be traded for a very, very high level star.

The roster is filling up and I am going to predict that Nader ends up taking Hunter's spot.

A back up center is still needed. Not that the roster needs to be completely filled by tomorrow, but Zeller might be the best guy available to fill this need.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 am

Green is nothing more than the 12th man right now.

his skill set and PAY is right there.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Apropos of nothing, I met Gerald and Orien Green on the streets of Coconut Grove (Miami) during his rookie season. They were both wearing Celtics sweats. I was with my girlfriends 14 year old son . They didn`t look much older than him. Gerald seemed like a polite, sweet kid. I think he might thrive in this system.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 am

Green adds some scoring and quickness to the roster on the cheap. Not a bad pickup for this season. A little pre-season competition to come, especially at guard. We'll probably cast some bodies off quickly in October and go into the season with 15 players from among the list we have now. Trade possibilities always exist, but I don't think we'll see any. I think we have our team for this season, until later in the winter, depending on our record and standings at that time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down