beat
Brandon$$
babyskyhook
9 posters

Go down

Gerald Green Empty Gerald Green

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey guys-

wanted to get your thoughts on Green. He's on the Lakers summer league roster. I remember him getting drafted and a lot of hype, but then he seems to have been a bust. I've never seen much of him play.

Any thoughts on him as a player and why he hasn't made it in the NBA ?

Do you think he could be a contributor ? I figure you guys would know better than anyone.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Gerald Green Empty Re: Gerald Green

Post by Brandon$$ Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Babyskyhook,

He was drafted out of High School, when a year of college could have done him wonders because he's such an excellent athlete. Gerald can definitely dunk and has very good elevation..................... but I'm not sure he can do anything else.

After going to Minnesota in the KG trade, I think he ended up getting waived & then signed by his hometown Houston Rockets who then cut him as well. I remember he had a stint with the Mavs and I thought he was still with them but I guess he got cut from them too.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes- I remember his dunking skills, but that's all I could remember. I guess for a reason.

When he was in Boston, was he much of a shooter, passer, defender ?

Is he quick enough and athletic enough with some minimal passing skills to be able to play the 1 in the triangle the way Ron Harper did ?

Thanks for any feedback people have.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:24 pm

BSK

The kid had all the potential in the world but..........................as for BB smarts he was at the end of the line.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:23 pm

beat wrote:BSK

The kid had all the potential in the world but..........................as for BB smarts he was at the end of the line.

beat

Ouch.

Sounds like Shannon Brown with more skills but even less brains (which is saying something). Doesn't sound like the greatest fit for the triangle.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 pm

BSK

I doubt gerald knows how many sides are in a .............naw won't go there, many of us C fans held out a lot of hope he would eventually "get it" but how long does one wait before cutting the losses and moving on.

I do think he would be an excellent pick up for the lakers though........!!??

(kidding)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

lol beat! Razz Razz Razz

Well I guess he's worth a spot on the SPL roster, and if he shows anything, maybe he becomes the 13th man at the min salary.

Happy 4th to you, Marcus and the rest of your family, beat. :usa:
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:04 pm

BSK back at you!!

Just got done witha huge bonfire in the back yard, burnt up a bunch of old brush and a couple of small pines that were dead and i cut them up today. all up in smoke at dark. Flames got 15-20 ft high!!

I'll clean up the mess tomorrow.

Nice living in the sticks where you can piss off the back deck and no one sees you and if they do they dont care!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm

BSH,

We all tried to cut him a lot of slack for a couple of years, because he'd very occasionally show some good shooting range and penetration skills when he got in a rhythm. But that was infrequent. To put his offense into perspective, his career turnovers per 36 minutes are almost identical to those of Kendrick Perkins. Defensive concepts seemed to elude him, and he showed very little aptitude for fitting into any kind of system.

He had a great smile, and you wanted to root for him; and perhaps he'll have a miraculous rebirth. But it would stand as one of the great surprises in NBA history.

Good luck.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:18 pm

beat wrote:BSK back at you!!

Just got done witha huge bonfire in the back yard, burnt up a bunch of old brush and a couple of small pines that were dead and i cut them up today. all up in smoke at dark. Flames got 15-20 ft high!!

I'll clean up the mess tomorrow.

Nice living in the sticks where you can piss off the back deck and no one sees you and if they do they dont care!

beat

I'm having visions of that bonfire they build in College Station before the Texas A+M vs Texas game. Wow!

If I tried to do that in LA I'd get arrested (and probably burn half the city down this time of year).

We try to keep things a little more low key out here. you know, like firing our guns in the air !!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Sam wrote:BSH,

We all tried to cut him a lot of slack for a couple of years, because he'd very occasionally show some good shooting range and penetration skills when he got in a rhythm. But that was infrequent. To put his offense into perspective, his career turnovers per 36 minutes are almost identical to those of Kendrick Perkins. Defensive concepts seemed to elude him, and he showed very little aptitude for fitting into any kind of system.

He had a great smile, and you wanted to root for him; and perhaps he'll have a miraculous rebirth. But it would stand as one of the great surprises in NBA history.

Good luck.

Sam

Yikes- great athlete with a flash or two and not much else. That's what my assumptions were from the little I had seen, but wanted to get the real deal from you guy.

Thanks Sam. Happy 4th to you and Mrs Sam.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks, BSH. We both wish the same to you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Danger, Will Robinson!!! Remember the show?

Lost in Space!!

That's Gerald Green. Gerald Green Alien

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41 pm

He is a walking advertisement for kids to go to college, play ball for a few years there, learn how to play with others, and learn the game of basketball
from beginning to end. This is a kid with so much talent, but so much immaturity that it is not even funny.

One night I went to a restaurant here in Waltham. As I was sitting there, in walked Gerald Green and Tony Allen. They sat right behind us. It took three waitresses and the manager to finally figure out what these two wanted to order. I could have fallen out of the booth laughing just listening to them. Turns out all they wanted was chicken wings, but what a fiasco!
They finally pointed to the picture of what they wanted!!

I looked at my husband and he said: "t\This is what you are going to make me watch for the next 82 games?". Not a brain between the two of them.

I felt sorry for the kid when he got traded, but it was obvious he had no basketball IQ at all. He trained under John Lucas last year and I don't think it helped much. Too bad..
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:08 pm

babyskyhook,

My 2c pretty much agrees with what you have read from everybody else.

Body by Ferrari, brain by Mattel.

Phenomenally gifted athlete, absolutely phenomenal. Zero basketball IQ. Zero.

My prediction is he'll make the Lakers. I'm not saying he'll get off the bench, but he'll make the team. He'll make it because he'll be cheap and the Lakers are hell-and-gone over the salary cap and need to fill out the second 1/2 of their final roster to the vet minimum (Phil never plays the bottom 1/2 of his roster anyway, so why pay much for them?). He'll make it because Laker management will know that Laker fans will enjoy his high-wire act, just as they enjoyed Shannon Brown's (FWIW, a lot of Celtic fans oohed and ahhed when Green was in green too). He won't play as much as Brown has but, if he does, you guys are in trouble or you're getting a lot of blowouts because the triangle is a pretty sophisticated offensive scheme and Gerald Green doesn't have the intellectual wattage to "get it".

Here's his career stat page. Note the assist-to-turnover ratio. It was good his first year with the Celts and was bad very single year since then and these stats do NOT show all his blown defensive assignments. He was never where he was supposed to be. Note he started 12 games for Dallas 2 years ago but only played 10mpg despite those starts. Note that he didn't play in the NBA last year. Hmm. Wonder why...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald_green/career_stats.html

Sorry for throwing cold water on ya, buddy, but GG is GG and there's a reason why he's available.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Wasn't Gerald Green supposed to be who Charles Barkley had in mind with his well-known quote about some of the younger players; "Run Like deer, jump like deer, think like deer"?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

NYCelt wrote:Wasn't Gerald Green supposed to be who Charles Barkley had in mind with his well-known quote about some of the younger players; "Run Like deer, jump like deer, think like deer"?

nycelt,

If he wasn't, he shoulda been.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey guys-

thanks for all of the feedback. My impression was that the guy was a bust, so thanks for filling me in on why.

And bobh- no worries about the cold water. I had no expectations for him b/c my assumption was that he couldn't cut it.

Although it would be ironic if Kwame ended up on the Cs roster and Green ended up with the purple and gold.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm

babyskyhook wrote:
Although it would be ironic if Kwame ended up on the Cs roster and Green ended up with the purple and gold.

That would be the very definition of cruel irony (other than unlimited ice cream and no spoon).

For both our teams best interests, I hope neither needs to happen.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:08 pm

The Lakers have, once again, dodged a bullet.

Gerald Green has signed a contract to play in Russia.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:The Lakers have, once again, dodged a bullet.

Gerald Green has signed a contract to play in Russia.

bob

And they said we would never send a bomb to Russia after the Cold War ended...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Gerald Green Empty Gerald Green & Orien Greene playing in D-League

Post by Mooltrikon Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:11 am

Gerald had 24 pts in last night's game. Orien had 14.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20111230/LADFWN/gameinfo.html
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 am

Mool, how did you ever happen on that news? I notice that Ron Howard was a major scorer for Fort Wayne. Way to go Opie.

So the law firm of Green and Greene is lighting it up for L.A. Never thought I'd see the day. I wish them both luck. They should stand as constant reminders of how lucky we are to have the current Celtics team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooltrikon Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Sam, I did a Google search on Gerald Green. I do every once in awhile, because one never knows where he will end up: 2 or 3 seasons in Russia. Then 2 or 3 games this season in China. Not to mention, approx. 5 different NBA teams.

It is hard to believe that the Celtics once had these two Green(e)s, plus guys like Delonte West, Wally Sczerbiak, etc., AS STARTERS! Danny has come a long way. Danny got rid of all of the bad contracts, got the Big 3, and provided Doc with a good bench each season since his initial trials and tribulations. The Kandi man, Raef LaFrentz, Scott Pollard, Theo Ratliff, Ricky Davis, Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes, Sam Cassell, Nate Robinson are all dinosaurs of the Celtics past. They are all just a bad dream. I don't know where they all are. I know that Sam Cassell and Nate are both talking a mile a minute wherever they are.

But the only ones who really still interest me much are Gerald, Big Al, and Perk. Gerald may be a lifelong D-Leaguer or Euroleaguer. But he is still interesting, especially as an acrobatic dunker.
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Mool,

I believe Gomes is with the Clippers.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin