Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

5 posters

Go down

Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut? Empty Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:10 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/08/boston_celtics_forecast_will_r.html

Boston Celtics forecast: Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut? 20929273-mmmain
Boston Celtics wing R.J. Hunter could be on the training camp bubble, given how packed the roster is. (AP Photo/Kim Raff)

Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

on August 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM, updated August 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM

One of the most intriguing story lines entering Boston Celtics training camp every year is the final roster spot — who is out, who is in and what tough decisions will team higher-ups have to make?

This year, Danny Ainge's decisions are even more interesting because the players on the Celtics bubble are mostly very young and could have real NBA value at some in their careers. After drafting seven players in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Celtics have too many people currently under contract, and they will need to trim the roster, but they might very well hope to do so via trade rather than simply giving money away. Meanwhile, Ainge will have to choose between young players with plenty of potential as he looks to fill out the rest of the roster.

The ESPN Boston Summer Forecast panel took a look at some of the most interesting training camp storylines and, unsurprisingly, many of the panelists focused on those final slots. My answer revolved around one young player in particular.

Tom Westerholm, MassLive (Will R.J. Hunter make the team?): Set aside James Young. His NBA career is in real trouble. To me, Hunter is the really intriguing question mark. In theory, he fills a major need -- a sweet-shooting wing with length who might be able to stretch the floor -- but in reality, he hasn't yet been able to produce at a high level. The clock is ticking for Hunter. On a suddenly crowded roster, he'll be trying very hard not to be the odd man out.

The Celtics roster currently has 21 players listed, and 11 of those players are essentially guaranteed to be on the final roster (barring a trade before the season): Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Al Horford, Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas and Tyler Zeller. That leaves four roster spots for Ben Bentil, Gerald Green, John Holland, R.J. Hunter, James Young, Jordan Mickey, Abdel Nader and Demetrius Jackson after Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele both agreed to play overseas this season.

While Danny Ainge and the Celtics decision makers will certainly give every player a chance the make the roster, the two most obvious cuts (again, barring a trade) are Bentil (whose contract is only partially guaranteed) and Holland (whose contract has no guarantee whatsoever). That still leaves six players for four spots and some migraine inducing choices, given that every one of those six has guaranteed money coming their way.

The Celtics need shooting. Much has been made of this, and much will continue to be made until they prove they are better than last year's 33.5 percent marker as a team, which was 28th in the league. Hunter would seemingly be a player who could help — his sweet shooting stroke and deep range were a big part of the reason the Celtics drafted him in the first place. But Hunter is yet to prove that he can make 3-pointers consistently at the professional level. He shot 30.2 percent in a very limited sample size last year with the Celtics, and in Maine, his numbers were even worse: 29.6 percent on nearly seven attempts per game. His Summer League 3-point shooting was encouraging — he knocked down 47 percent of his triples in Las Vegas — but the questions will dog him through training camp: Can he produce in the NBA? And can he fill the Celtics' enormous void behind the arc?

Hunter's length and ability to see the floor, in addition to his shooting, still make him an intriguing player, and it's difficult to imagine the Celtics giving up on him so early. But if Ben Bentil stands out or if Abdel Nader — who showed a ton of promise in Summer League — refuses to be draft-and-stashed overseas, will the Celtics be willing to move on from Hunter? They won't want to, certainly, but if they are forced to make a choice, Hunter could find himself in a precarious position from which he may need to shoot his way out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut? Empty Re: Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/08/boston_celtics_forecast_will_r.html

Boston Celtics forecast: Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut? 20929273-mmmain
Boston Celtics wing R.J. Hunter could be on the training camp bubble, given how packed the roster is. (AP Photo/Kim Raff)

Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

on August 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM, updated August 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM

One of the most intriguing story lines entering Boston Celtics training camp every year is the final roster spot — who is out, who is in and what tough decisions will team higher-ups have to make?

This year, Danny Ainge's decisions are even more interesting because the players on the Celtics bubble are mostly very young and could have real NBA value at some in their careers. After drafting seven players in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Celtics have too many people currently under contract, and they will need to trim the roster, but they might very well hope to do so via trade rather than simply giving money away. Meanwhile, Ainge will have to choose between young players with plenty of potential as he looks to fill out the rest of the roster.

The ESPN Boston Summer Forecast panel took a look at some of the most interesting training camp storylines and, unsurprisingly, many of the panelists focused on those final slots. My answer revolved around one young player in particular.

Tom Westerholm, MassLive (Will R.J. Hunter make the team?): Set aside James Young. His NBA career is in real trouble. To me, Hunter is the really intriguing question mark. In theory, he fills a major need -- a sweet-shooting wing with length who might be able to stretch the floor -- but in reality, he hasn't yet been able to produce at a high level. The clock is ticking for Hunter. On a suddenly crowded roster, he'll be trying very hard not to be the odd man out.

The Celtics roster currently has 21 players listed, and 11 of those players are essentially guaranteed to be on the final roster (barring a trade before the season): Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Al Horford, Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas and Tyler Zeller. That leaves four roster spots for Ben Bentil, Gerald Green, John Holland, R.J. Hunter, James Young, Jordan Mickey, Abdel Nader and Demetrius Jackson after Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele both agreed to play overseas this season.

While Danny Ainge and the Celtics decision makers will certainly give every player a chance the make the roster, the two most obvious cuts (again, barring a trade) are Bentil (whose contract is only partially guaranteed) and Holland (whose contract has no guarantee whatsoever). That still leaves six players for four spots and some migraine inducing choices, given that every one of those six has guaranteed money coming their way.

The Celtics need shooting. Much has been made of this, and much will continue to be made until they prove they are better than last year's 33.5 percent marker as a team, which was 28th in the league. Hunter would seemingly be a player who could help — his sweet shooting stroke and deep range were a big part of the reason the Celtics drafted him in the first place. But Hunter is yet to prove that he can make 3-pointers consistently at the professional level. He shot 30.2 percent in a very limited sample size last year with the Celtics, and in Maine, his numbers were even worse: 29.6 percent on nearly seven attempts per game. His Summer League 3-point shooting was encouraging — he knocked down 47 percent of his triples in Las Vegas — but the questions will dog him through training camp: Can he produce in the NBA? And can he fill the Celtics' enormous void behind the arc?

Hunter's length and ability to see the floor, in addition to his shooting, still make him an intriguing player, and it's difficult to imagine the Celtics giving up on him so early. But if Ben Bentil stands out or if Abdel Nader — who showed a ton of promise in Summer League — refuses to be draft-and-stashed overseas, will the Celtics be willing to move on from Hunter? They won't want to, certainly, but if they are forced to make a choice, Hunter could find himself in a precarious position from which he may need to shoot his way out.

bob

This is an interesting question . I find myself wavering on  Hunter . I feel he has skills , but may lack the hubris necessary to succeed in this league. Unless you actually are a transcendent talent you pretty much have to convince yourself that you are in th NBA , or WILL yourself to be.Guys like Paul Pierce come to mind or , more realistically, where Hunter is concerned , James Posey. I think Gerald Green is a lock to make the roster , which futher shrinks the field. If my life depended on it, I`d probably draw straws , but I think Hunter has about a 51% chance of being in the final 15. If it boiled down to him and Nader, I`d probably pick Nader despite his pedestrian college numbers. (If only Bentil could pull his feet out of the quicksand on D. )
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut? Empty Re: Will R.J. Hunter make the final training camp cut?

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Swami sez...

No, RJ will not make the final cut.

Green, Mickey, Jackson and for some unexplainable reason, Young, all will stick.

Only Green and Jackson will finish the season with the team, however.  Only Jackson will return for '17 - '18.

Take it to the bank.

So sayeth The Swami.

Love this prediction thing...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 am

He better make the team, I don't want to find another avatar!  Though I could go back to the cheesecake one if need be.

I do think he'll make the team, though having a sweet stroke and Curry like range isn't enough, he simply has to shoot a better % from three point land.  If he does that, combined with his good feel for the game, he should have a decent future in the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 am

I think he'd have to stink it up in camp to get outright cut, to be honest.

Holland- come on, he was and is roster filler.

Bentil- he got a small PARTIAL guarantee, so he will agree to play in Maine this year, the old wink and a nod.

Young- seems to have lost all hope after his summer league play, though I will say he is in DIRECT completion with Hunter for a roster spot. So IF he would somehow show he has made the leap to an NBA player, he is the guy that could keep Hunter off our roster. FAT CHANCE to me.

Green- almost a lock to make the roster

Mickey- I could see him being moved or cut, except that he's the only big man out of the bunch. I think Bentil is his competition only.

what are we down to Nader , Jackson and Hunter...with TWO of them making the team?

Nader over Hunter- I doubt it, I know Nader was the summer league feel good story and all. But this is the real NBA we're talking about.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:09 pm

kdp59 wrote:I think he'd have to stink it up in camp to get outright cut, to be honest.

Holland- come on, he was and is roster filler.

Bentil- he got a small PARTIAL guarantee, so he will agree to play in Maine this year, the old wink and a nod.

Young- seems to have lost all hope after his summer league play, though I will say he is in DIRECT completion with Hunter for  a roster spot. So IF he would somehow show he has made the leap to an NBA player, he is the guy that could keep Hunter off our roster. FAT CHANCE to me.

Green- almost a lock to make the roster

Mickey- I could see him being moved or cut, except that he's the only big man out of the bunch. I think Bentil is his competition only.

what are we down to  Nader , Jackson and Hunter...with TWO of them making the team?

Nader over Hunter- I doubt it, I know Nader was the summer league feel good story and all. But this is the real NBA we're talking about.

kdp,

I agree with your analysis.

James Young is a 6'6", 215# SF. Abdel Nader is a 6'6", 230# SF. Nader is more "right-sized" for the position with is extra weight. Brad tried to move Young to SG last season with less than positive results. Ergo, he is a single-position player and he is too short and light for that one.

Hunter is a 6'6", 195# (trying to get up to 205# by the start of this season) player. He has shown he can play SG, albeit he is confronting a big learning curve. If he gets up to 205# he is comparable to Young, physically, with better skills. I realize nobody on this board is suggesting that Young should be kept, I'm just doing a quick physical comparison. Physically, Hunter could be very similar to Young but with the critical difference that Hunter can play SG and Young cannot.

Hunter vs Nader? I'd give Hunter another year, especially if he's putting on good weight. Nader is still small for today's NBA, he just looked like a mini-Mack truck in summer league but most of those players aren't NBA-sized.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down