Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself the Boston Celtics' backup PG

2 posters

Go down

Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself  the Boston Celtics' backup PG Empty Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself the Boston Celtics' backup PG

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself the Boston Celtics' backup PG

The Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers matched up for an NBA preseason exhibition game at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass. on Oct. 4, 2016. Here is Isaiah Thomas.

Daniel Malone | Special to MassLive
Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

2016 at 1:20 PM

AMHERST -- Other people wondered who would handle the ball for the Boston Celtics second unit, but Terry Rozier decided in July that he would do it himself. Around that time, Evan Turner left for the Portland Trail Blazers and Rozier ripped up the summer league with efficiency and poise.

"Right after summer league it was always something that was in my mind every day," Rozier said. "I had a pretty good summer league. Obviously ET was gone around summer league. So it was just something that I put together. It was like, listen, we're going to have to have somebody step up and play. And I just kept telling myself every day, just putting myself in position of what can I do to get better to help this team and help myself."

Ask Rozier now if he considers himself the backup point guard and he will not hesitate.

"Yes, sir," he might say, as he did Tuesday night before the Celtics dropped their preseason opener to the Philadelphia 76ers, 92-89.

"It's something I'm holding myself to," Rozier continued. "And just trying to get as many minutes as I can, trying to play and help my team in the best way I can."

The guard's preseason debut offered a reminder that regardless of how much praise he receives from his teammates, he's never played a regular role in the NBA before. Rozier stumbled into some playoff minutes after an injury to Avery Bradley, but is still very new to most of his responsibilities. Head coach Brad Stevens thought Rozier might have been too wound up trying to prove himself worthy of all the training camp hype.

"I just had to just go back to the basics and just slow my mind down second half," Rozier said. "And just see the shots falling is the main thing."

After missing all three of his first-half field goal attempts, Rozier had 12 points in the second half to lead the Celtics. He and Marcus Smart both played crunch-time minutes -- a sign that Stevens wants his young bench backcourt to gain plenty of experience before the season arrives.

The bench will need to play (much) better when the games count, but showed some positive signs against the 76ers third-stringers. Jaylen Brown wowed with his athleticism, Smart played like his survival depended on the outcome of the game, and Rozier demonstrated a heightened level of control.

Though Rozier appears to be a critical piece of the bench, Stevens doesn't want to put any extra pressure on the guard.

"At the end of the day, I think... we'll see," Stevens said. "I think, myself included, we can all react how we want to six days of practice, an open scrimmage, whatever the case may be. There's a lot of games to be played. And that's why this league really separates who can really add value to winning and who still has to build and grow. We think he's really on the right path. We really believe in him but time will tell."

bob
MY NOTE:  With the loss of Turner there is definitely a job opening.

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself  the Boston Celtics' backup PG Empty Re: Yes, Terry Rozier considers himself the Boston Celtics' backup PG

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:03 am

Turner was a big part of the Cs winning 48 games last season even though he is not considered a "star" player in the NBA. He will be missed in many games, but who could possibly blame him for taking $17 M per year contract in Portland.

Filling his shoes may take more than just Rozier, but it is great to see Rozier taking such good, positive steps forward so early in his career. He may just handle this situation in a great way as he is certainly a good enough physical athlete. The thing that I think that I like best about him is that he does not seem scared to fail or scared to continue to improve his skills.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down