Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling

3 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling Empty Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/terry_rozier_injury_boston_cel.html#incart_story_package

Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling

Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling 18408153-mmmain
Boston Celtics' Terry Rozier (12) drives against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half of an NBA summer league basketball game Thursday, July 9, 2015, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 11, 2015 at 3:45 PM

WALTHAM -- Boston Celtics rookie Terry Rozier could miss a bit of preseason action this week due to left knee swelling, according to head coach Brad Stevens.

Rozier did not practice Sunday. As his teammates ended the session with shooting and conditioning work, the guard walked along the sideline with a wrap on his knee, moving well enough to celebrate an exciting finish to the drill.

Stevens said he expects Rozier to miss three to five days, which could put his status in jeopardy for at least one preseason game this week. The Celtics play Wednesday at Brooklyn and Friday at New York.

Stevens did not explain what caused the swelling, but knee tendinitis has bothered Rozier periodically since his time at Louisville. Over the offseason, he said the issue popped up again after he competed for the Celtics in two summer leagues. He took two weeks of rest before returning to the court.

bob
MY NOTE: Evan Turner is about to come back. In fact, I saw some video of him beating James Young one-on-one. Is there ANYBODY Young can stop? PJ3 is expected back today. Jerebko is out with a virus.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling Empty Re: Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling

Post by rambone Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am

I recall Rozier did more pre-draft workouts than just about anybody else. He was working out for everybody who asked, often more than once.

This guy works as hard as anybody, and it's not like the Celtics were going to tell him to take it easy until there was a reason.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling Empty Re: Terry Rozier injury: Boston Celtics guard out 3-5 days with knee swelling

Post by rambone Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:56 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/07/terry_roziers_trainer_raves_ab.html

July 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM

BOSTON -- Terry Rozier deserves a break.

Before playing eight games in 13 days for the Boston Celtics summer league team, the guard shuttled around the country for an onslaught of pre-draft workouts. By the end of the tour he couldn't even remember the exact number of auditions. "Eighteen or 19," he said earlier this month, apparently unfazed by all the travel and physical exertion. Rozier would just arrive in a new city, throw on some basketball gear, and try, in his words, "to make an impression of busting my butt."

For the No. 16 overall pick, that emerged as the main goal of the pre-draft process. Sure, he wanted to make shots, but he knew that aspect of his game might come and go. His top objective was "passing the eye test" with his shooting stroke while showcasing his relentlessness in every other way. Rather than dwelling on misses, he counted how many stops he could force.

"Just being tough and just trying to get stops, diving on the floor for loose balls," Rozier explained. "That was my way. That was what I tried to work on. Even though it was mentally draining, going through all the traveling, staying in airports for a long time, hotels, it's mental. It's all mental."

A worker's mentality was one of the first things Cody Toppert noticed about Rozier. As a high-level basketball trainer, Toppert has worked with all types of players and people. By the time he started working with Rozier, Toppert had already watched all of the guard's offensive possessions from college and most of the defensive possessions. But observing everything about a player's past performance can only explain so much. To formulate a plan for how to maximize Rozier's precious time between the college season and his string of workouts, Toppert needed to know all about his client.

"The biggest thing was to get a grasp not only of where he was at," the trainer said by phone, "but the perception of the NBA decision-makers, and figure out where we could work with him the most – whether that's a mentality, a skill, an IQ. We take a very holistic and individualized approach.

"When I first got in the gym with Terry, I didn't know exactly what to expect. I've seen everything from guys who grind to guys who are entitled and everything in between. The biggest thing that jumped off the page was that he's all business. He's all in. He's so receptive to learning, and not just that, but he wants to learn, he searches for opportunities to learn. He craves feedback."

During the pre-draft process, Toppert set up a group messaging system for his clients. In it, he would send quick edits of sets from the playoffs – one night, it might have included a certain pick-and-roll read he wanted his players to learn. Most players in the group took in the help, he thinks, but Rozier lifted it to the next level. Before long, the Celtics draft pick started recording clips on his cell phone to deliver to Toppert.

"Everyone else is waiting," Toppert said. "He's seeing it, watching it and sending it back."

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:00 pm

rambone wrote:I recall Rozier did more pre-draft workouts than just about anybody else. He was working out for everybody who asked, often more than once.

This guy works as hard as anybody, and it's not like the Celtics were going to tell him to take it easy until there was a reason.

rambone,

I also remember Brad saying that Rozier wanted to do The Boston Marathon, the 3 minute drill that every pre-draft workout participant does at the end of their workout, more than once because he wasn't satisfied with his performance.  Regardless of whether his performance was as bad as he thought it was or whether he improved upon it the next time, his grit and competitiveness (and stamina) that made him even want to do it again impressed the hell out of Brad and Danny.  That drill, by now, is famous among agents and prospective draftees as being absolutely grueling, and Rozier wanted to do it again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713138/cs-prospects-get-own-boston-marathon

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:43 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/terry_rozier_waited_a_week_bef.html

Terry Rozier waited a week before revealing knee injury to Boston Celtics: 'Lesson learned'

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 12, 2015 at 1:00 PM

WALTHAM -- Terry Rozier regrets failing to tell the Boston Celtics training staff about a bone bruise in his left knee when it initially started bothering him.

The Boston Celtics rookie said the issue actually cropped up the second or third day of training camp when he slipped while "trying to go for the ball in the paint." He continued playing for about a week before finally revealing the pain when his knee swelled up Thursday during Boston's win against Real Madrid.

"Lesson learned," Rozier said before Monday's practice. "Just tell them right away. I can't let that happen again. I've gotta speak up."

According to head coach Brad Stevens, Rozier's knee "didn't feel great" when the guard scored 14 points Thursday. The Celtics training staff decided to examine the issue upon returning from Europe. By the time the team plane landed Friday, the swelling in Rozier's knee had gone down -- "which is like unheard of after an eight-hour flight," Stevens said, "so we weren't quite as concerned." Still, Rozier had his knee drained after an MRI.

The first-round pick said the injury has no relation to previous knee issues that bothered him off and on at Louisville. He received a shot for that problem over the summer and said he hasn't experienced discomfort in the same area since.

"It's not the front of my knee, which has been an issue in college," he said. "It's the back of my knee that caused the swelling. But my knee's been fine though. My knee that I had a problem with in college has been great."

Last season, James Young received a similar lesson when he strained a hamstring during a preseason game, continued playing, and didn't tell the training staff until the following day. A rookie at the time, Young missed almost the entire preseason when he could have been developing better habits.

Rozier learned the hard way, much like his teammate.

"It's different (in the NBA)," Rozier said. "In college the whole two years I never sat out a practice or a game. So your body kind of wears down. But right now, this is different. At the pro level you've gotta know when to sit out. But like I said, the knee problem that I had a problem with is not an issue anymore. It's not bothering me. It's the back of my knee that caused the swelling. I'll be fine after a couple of days. Nothing big."

Rozier did not practice Sunday or Monday, and could miss at least a few more days. He said he would not play the rest of this week, which would keep him out of preseason games in Brooklyn and New York.

For now, the guard has started riding the bike and working in the pool.

"I'm on Level 10 right now so I'm good, I'm feeling real good," Rozier said. "They want me to calm down a little bit but I feel good. I feel great. I'm feeling probably the best I've felt since Madrid, since it started swelling. So I'm feeling good. Just hope that it can keep getting better."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Sounds like this young man needs to learn to pay attention to his body and rest it when necessary in order to not only prolong but also start his NBA career.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down