Al Horford impressive again as Boston Celtics roll Charlotte Hornets, 107-92

Go down

Al Horford impressive again as Boston Celtics roll Charlotte Hornets, 107-92 Empty Al Horford impressive again as Boston Celtics roll Charlotte Hornets, 107-92

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:33 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/10/boston_celtics_charlotte_horne_6.html

Al Horford impressive again as Boston Celtics roll Charlotte Hornets, 107-92

Al Horford impressive again as Boston Celtics roll Charlotte Hornets, 107-92 21261441-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas (4) takes a shot between Charlotte Hornets center Roy Hibbert (55) and forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (14) during the first quarter of a preseason NBA basketball game Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016, in Greensboro, N.C. (AP Photo/Brian Blanco)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 06, 2016 at 8:10 PM, updated October 06, 2016 at 11:15 PM

For a half, anyone who tuned into the baseball playoffs should have felt comfortable with his choice. Even if a pitcher did nothing but touch his cap, pace around the mound, and stare in at his catcher's signs, the gestures would have delivered more entertainment value than the Boston Celtics' opening two quarters Thursday night.

But after threatening to suck away our love for basketball, the Celtics set us free with a wonderful rush to start the second half. Amir Johnson lunged to tip away an entry pass, then worked to keep an offensive rebound alive. He won't get much credit for the ensuing run, but it all started with him, and then the starters surged. Al Horford (13 points, eight rebounds) played like one of the most complete big men alive, Avery Bradley (14 points, five assists) continued to resemble an improved playmaker, the bench revived itself, and the Celtics ripped off their early malaise to pull out a 107-92 victory.

A few notes from the game follow:

Horford's impact

I could just leave this tweet here and let it stand for itself:

Chris Forsberg ✔ @ESPNForsberg
Celtics +32 during Al Horford’s 31 minutes of preseason floor time so far.
2:04 AM - 7 Oct 2016
 23 23 Retweets   66 66 likes

Or I could note that Horford actually boosted that to +39 by the time he subbed out for good in the third quarter. I could also note all the ways he helped the Celtics starters dominate the early part of that period. Everybody knew how much Horford would help Boston, but it's still startling to see how much he makes the offense sizzle. A Celtics big man can jump high enough to dunk on someone. Rejoice, rejoice:

How did the bench look early?

Well...

gary washburn ✔ @GwashburnGlobe
#Hornets run is now 23-6. #Celtics
1:17 AM - 7 Oct 2016
 4 4 Retweets   2 2 likes

During the first half, the bench racked up more moving screens (at least two) than assists (zero). Terry Rozier got educated by Ramon Sessions, ball movement dried up and Tyler Zeller actually ducked away from one offensive rebound. In my notes, I wrote, "Kelly Olynyk and Gerald Green might need to score all of the bench points."

That's not true, of course, and the bench was much better in the second half. Rozier got hot from outside (note: his jumper's really pretty), Marcus Smart did a lot of productive things, and Jaylen Brown alternated between promising plays and youthful mistakes. He knocked down a couple of threes, took the ball to the basket with force, and traveled twice because he wanted to make moves before readying himself for them. After one, Jae Crowder gestured to his younger teammate to slow down -- something that could be a common directive for Brown this season. The rookie showed promise guarding Frank Kaminsky, though, offering more evidence that the power forward slot will one day fit Brown well. Maybe that day will arrive pretty soon.

Fun lineups

With the first substitution, Brad Stevens went to a fun small lineup that should be able to switch just about everything (except at point guard): Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jae Crowder and Al Horford. The group didn't stay together long, but did force a turnover almost immediately.

In the second half, Stevens tried a unit with Bradley, Smart, Brown, Crowder and Johnson. I don't have much else to say about it, but the lineup possibilities are entertaining, especially when Olynyk and Green return.

Also entertaining: watching Smart and Rozier take turns targeting Marco Belinelli. And this:

I should probably also say that Isaiah Thomas hit a trio of 3-pointer in the first half and finished with 15 points over 20 minutes. He suffered a minor left wrist sprain, but the Celtics have their first preseason win.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down