+5
jrleftfoot
wideclyde
international
kdp59
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith Empty Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:22 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243551/Celtics-Interested-In-Signing-JR-Smith

Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith

OCT 9, 2016 3:08 PM

The Boston Celtics have interest in signing J.R. Smith, who remains in a contract stalemate with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Smith is seeking $15 million per season from the Cavaliers while they are only offering $10 million or $11 million annually.

The Celtics can only offer Smith a salary starting at $9 million unless they make a trade to clear cap space.

Boston has Avery Bradley as their starting shooting guard.

The report also indicates there are several other teams with interest in Smith.

FRANK ISOLA/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

bob
MY NOTE:  WTF?  I go away for a little R&R and Danny loses his mind?  He forgets how to count to 15?  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith Empty Re: Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith

Post by kdp59 Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:30 pm

well, he would increase our tattoo per square foot or skin ratio for sure.

not sure that's worth anything though.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith Empty Re: Celtics Interested In Signing J.R. Smith

Post by international Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

http://slam.ly/g2ZiS4

international

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Please "NO" to JR Smith at anything much more than the vet's minimum. He will be too costly for what he can bring to the Cs. Certainly not known as a "team" player and our young roster does not need any such distractions.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 pm

I`d sign him in a heartbeat if they had cap space. One guy`s not going to ruin team chemistry and he`s a knockdown shooter. The Cavs seemed to do o.k.with him.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 pm

I don't trust the source of this article, especially since $ wise it makes no sense either. Danny's not dumb.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Seems unlikely given the addition of GG for less than a Mill and the drafting of Brown.

never been a JR fan either.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:28 pm

I`m sure the signing is not going to happen, but the casual dimissal of the usefulness of a guy who hit .400. from three last year and .390. the year before and by all accounts played good team defense on the world champions does surprise me a little. Most of Smith`s peccadiloes had to do with his becoming one of the last guys to go straight from high school to the NBA, and his failure to get along with George Karl, a notoriously player unfriendly coach. His main skill is shooting, so throwing up shots is basically his job, ala Vinnie Johnson. I don`t hear his teammates or Tyron Lue complaining about him. Of course Gerald Green`s signing may well , as previously suggested, make him somewhat superfluous, but the difference between a guy who hits 40 % from three and one who hits 35 % is huge. Jaylen Brown is a totally different player, so I don`t see where he has any impact on signing  a guy like Smith..Ainge has the responsibility to kick the tires . Doesn`t mean  he`s gonna pay the price.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I`m sure the signing is not going to happen, but the casual dimissal of the usefulness of a guy who hit .400. from three last year and .390. the year before and by all accounts played good team defense on the world champions does surprise me a little. Most of Smith`s peccadiloes had to do with his becoming one of the last guys to go straight from high school to the NBA, and his failure to get along with George Karl, a notoriously player unfriendly coach. His main skill is shooting, so throwing up shots is basically his job, ala Vinnie Johnson. I don`t hear his teammates or Tyron Lue complaining about him. Of course Gerald Green`s signing may well , as previously suggested, make him somewhat superfluous, but the difference between a guy who hits 40 % from three and one who hits 35 % is huge. Jaylen Brown is a totally different player, so I don`t see where he has any impact on signing  a guy like Smith..Ainge has the responsibility to kick the tires . Doesn`t mean  he`s gonna pay the price.

Good points.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:14 am

NYCelt wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:I`m sure the signing is not going to happen, but the casual dimissal of the usefulness of a guy who hit .400. from three last year and .390. the year before and by all accounts played good team defense on the world champions does surprise me a little. Most of Smith`s peccadiloes had to do with his becoming one of the last guys to go straight from high school to the NBA, and his failure to get along with George Karl, a notoriously player unfriendly coach. His main skill is shooting, so throwing up shots is basically his job, ala Vinnie Johnson. I don`t hear his teammates or Tyron Lue complaining about him. Of course Gerald Green`s signing may well , as previously suggested, make him somewhat superfluous, but the difference between a guy who hits 40 % from three and one who hits 35 % is huge. Jaylen Brown is a totally different player, so I don`t see where he has any impact on signing  a guy like Smith..Ainge has the responsibility to kick the tires . Doesn`t mean  he`s gonna pay the price.

Good points.

I`m probably just jonesing for a pure shooter, Bob. I was in the Hield camp, but I`ve come around after seeing Brown play. Maybe RJ will put it all together
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Keep him as far away as possible. Great shooter or not, I cannot see him being happy here. The money he wants is way above what Danny would have to offer. Where do these rumors come from?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm

I was listening to the NBA site on Sirius XM today, and a caller brought up the benefits of the Celts trading for DeMarcus Cousins. They bandied that about for a while. Yeah, it could make for a very powerful team, but in the end they thought the Celts biggest need was for a pure outside shooter.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down