gyso
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Celtics Waive Three, Two To Go Empty Celtics Waive Three, Two To Go

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Scott Souza
@Scott_Souza 1 minute ago
#Celtics waive 3 training camp guys who never had chance of making team. Brad Stevens said last night to expect final 2 cuts by weekend.

Reply Retweet Like

Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss
@JaredWeissNBA about 19 minutes ago
#Celtics have waived Marcus Georges-Hunt, Damion Lee and Jalen Jones. Still need to reduce roster by 2 players by Monday.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE:  Now come the hard ones...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Waive Three, Two To Go Empty Re: Celtics Waive Three, Two To Go

Post by gyso Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Next to go, Ben Bentil

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:08 am

gyso wrote:Next to go, Ben Bentil

yep
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 pm

The three guys who got cut were fully expecting to get cut and end up in Portland with the Red Claws. They were guys brought in to help the team in pre-season, and perhaps show some team enough to possibly gain a contract somewhere in the basketball world. I hope that the Cs already have a place for them to stay in in Portland.

Young has to be the guy to get cut, in my opinion, although I could also see Hunter getting dumped either by way of trade or just a release.

Why Ainge keeps the other guys......Bentil is on a very cheap contract and is a true rookie, and will be given at least one year in Portland to better show himself as a professional player. Next year for him will be decided in pre-season camp after his year in Portland and next year's summer league play. Gree was a free agent signing who would have had to have a terrible pre-season to get cut, and has done nothing to warrant getting cut since signing. The Cs still seem to like Mickey enough to not cut him now. I predict that Jackson will make major contributions next year and especially the year after as he is the only true point guard on the roster, and I don't care if he was a second round pick or not. No way the Cs cut this guy. If nothing else (besides maybe being the best point guard on the entire team) he has shot the three ball better than either Young or Hunter this summer.

So, it is Young or Hunter from where is sit. Both had the opportunity to take full control earning playing time, but neither have done much to move up from where they were last season. And, worse than that neither of these two guys did much of anything to prevent the other younger guys mentioned above from pushing them down to the position of having to fight for the last roster space.

Either way, the one not cut is not likely to make much of a contribution as the 15th player on the roster and will spend a large amount of time in Maine.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:59 pm

wideclyde wrote:The three guys who got cut were fully expecting to get cut and end up in Portland with the Red Claws.  They were guys brought in to help the team in pre-season, and perhaps show some team enough to possibly gain a contract somewhere in the basketball world.  I hope that the Cs already have a place for them to stay in in Portland.

Young has to be the guy to get cut, in my opinion, although I could also see Hunter getting dumped either by way of trade or just a release.  

Why Ainge keeps the other guys......Bentil is on a very cheap contract and is a true rookie, and will be given at least one year in Portland to better show himself as a professional player. Next year for him will be decided in pre-season camp after his year in Portland and next year's summer league play.  Gree was a free agent signing who would have had to have a terrible pre-season to get cut, and has done nothing to warrant getting cut since signing.  The Cs still seem to like Mickey enough to not cut him now.  I predict that Jackson will make major contributions next year and especially the year after as he is the only true point guard on the roster, and I don't care if he was a second round pick or not.  No way the Cs cut this guy.  If nothing else (besides maybe being the best point guard on the entire team) he has shot the three ball better than either Young or Hunter this summer.

So, it is Young or Hunter from where is sit.  Both had the opportunity to take full control earning playing time, but neither have done much to move up from where they were last season.  And, worse than that neither of these two guys did much of anything to prevent the other younger guys mentioned above from pushing them down to the position of having to fight for the last roster space.

Either way, the one not cut is not likely to make much of a contribution as the 15th player on the roster and will spend a large amount of time in Maine.

Twitter is saying that Danny is offering either Hunter or Young. That doesn't mean the price is the same for both, it just means both can be hd.

No 56 point above-the-fold screaming headline here.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Well, so much for my thoughts on Bentil from earlier in the day as he became much less needed to Ainge and Stevens than I anticipated.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:59 am

http://www.csnne.com/video/scalabrine-i-think-james-young-going-get-final-roster-spot

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:04 am

wideclyde wrote:Well, so much for my thoughts on Bentil from earlier in the day as he became much less needed to Ainge and Stevens than I anticipated.
Bentil played like a guy trying to impress the guys at the playground to pick him in a pickup game. He never showed a modicum of interest in the actual game going on around him. That`s what I saw , anyway.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 am

steve3344 wrote:http://www.csnne.com/video/scalabrine-i-think-james-young-going-get-final-roster-spot
I have been leaning toward Young too. Neither one is going to make or break the Celtics season , though, lol.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:16 pm

I think the fact that Young stuck around all summer, did what was asked of him, put on 18-20 pounds of muscle and worked on his game gives him the inside track. He also can play 2/3 spot, so it makes him more versitile. Stevens likes guys who can play multi positions so my thinking is that Young sticks and Hunter goes. Too bad for RJ, he never really got a chance to show what he could become here in Boston. Potential does not win jobs in th NBA
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Young is also now strong enough that he could be an adequate emergency measure at PF too. His arms are really long and his standing reach is like 8'9, I think.

If not this year, then next year Young could handle occasional small ball PF duties.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down