Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in?

+2
dboss
6 posters

Go down

Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in? Empty Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in?

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm

Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward
Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in?

NESN by Patrick McAvoy

Boston waived veteran forward Jabari Parker from the team Friday afternoon to bring its roster down to 14 players, not including two-way contracts. Parker was waived by the Celtics once before prior to the start of the 2021-22 NBA season, but was re-signed just as the season was starting up.

The 26-year-old has played in just 12 of the Celtics’ 39 games so far this season and in that span put up averages of 4.4 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.5 assists across 9.3 minutes of action.

With a roster spot now open, there could be a few free agents on the open market that could come in and help the Celtics break out of their recent slump.

The biggest name that comes to mind is former Boston point guard Isaiah Thomas. He initially signed a 10-day hardship contract with the Los Angeles Lakers and after it expired signed with the Dallas Mavericks on a similar contract, but entered the league’s health and safety protocols soon after and the contract is set to expire Jan. 7. The two have been linked ever since Thomas was traded in the team’s deal for Kyrie Irving, even to the point where Marcus Smart said he lobbied for the guard’s return, but nothing has come to fruition.

Aside from Thomas, other players that come to mind are DeMarcus Cousins, Yogi Ferrell, Dante Exum, Jahlil Okafor, Harry Giles or even Joe Johnson. The Celtics have struggled lately and sit at 18-21 after their collapse against the New York Knicks on Thursday so it wouldn’t hurt to take a chance on these guys.

Back to top Go down

Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in? Empty Re: Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in?

Post by dboss Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 pm

This opens up a roster spot. Now what?

Getting a PG is probably our biggest need because aside from the issue with shooting accuracy we need someone to run the offense better than Smart and Schroeder.

Probably not going to happen at the trade deadline.

The Celtics are in a precarious situation. They need to be careful not to stray away from their goal. Build the team around the jays. Who else should be in the DNT category? Robert Williams definitely and Marcus Smart maybe.

Let's hope Brad does not pull something off the scrap pile to fill Parker's spot.

Could a multi-player trade be in the works? Hard to say.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in? Empty Re: Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward Should the Celtics bring one of these guys in?

Post by atcross Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm

Kind of sorry to see Parker go. If nothing else he seemed to bring a spark and could put some points on the board when no one else was. But I have to assume it wasn't about him. Thomas and Ferrell are each good in their individual ways but have to fight to overcome their limited stature. By freeing up a slot I would guess it's just as likely a complicated deal is afoot as it is a single signing. Time will tell.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 pm

dboss wrote:This opens up a roster spot.  Now what?  

Getting a PG is probably our biggest need because aside from the issue with shooting accuracy we need someone to run the offense better than Smart and Schroeder.

The Celtics are in a precarious situation.  They need to be careful not to stray away from their goal.  Build the team around the jays.  Who else should be in the DNT category?  Robert Williams definitely and Marcus Smart maybe.

Let's hope Brad does not pull something off the scrap pile to fill Parker's spot.

Could a multi-player trade be in the works?  Hard to say.  

Dboss my man. I assume by DNT you mean Do Not Touch. I believe that this team is not good enough to have potentially 4 DNT’s. When you get a minute can you give me 4 DNT’s on the Suns and the Warriors. Please?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:54 pm

112288 wrote:Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward

NESN by Patrick McAvoy

Boston waived veteran forward Jabari Parker from the team Friday afternoon to bring its roster down to 14 players, not including two-way contracts. Parker was waived by the Celtics once before prior to the start of the 2021-22 NBA season, but was re-signed just as the season was starting up.

The 26-year-old has played in just 12 of the Celtics’ 39 games so far this season and in that span put up averages of 4.4 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.5 assists across 9.3 minutes of action.

With a roster spot now open, there could be a few free agents on the open market that could come in and help the Celtics break out of their recent slump.

The biggest name that comes to mind is former Boston point guard Isaiah Thomas. He initially signed a 10-day hardship contract with the Los Angeles Lakers and after it expired signed with the Dallas Mavericks on a similar contract, but entered the league’s health and safety protocols soon after and the contract is set to expire Jan. 7. The two have been linked ever since Thomas was traded in the team’s deal for Kyrie Irving, even to the point where Marcus Smart said he lobbied for the guard’s return, but nothing has come to fruition.

Aside from Thomas, other players that come to mind are DeMarcus Cousins, Yogi Ferrell, Dante Exum, Jahlil Okafor, Harry Giles or even Joe Johnson. The Celtics have struggled lately and sit at 18-21 after their collapse against the New York Knicks on Thursday so it wouldn’t hurt to take a chance on these guys.

. IT IT IT if he’s available. Cousins is intriguing but he’s a distant second in my book of needs.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:05 am

Ktron wrote:
112288 wrote:Could Move Be On Way? Celtics Open Roster Spot, Waive Forward

NESN by Patrick McAvoy

. IT IT IT if he’s available. Cousins is intriguing but he’s a distant second in my book of needs.

I would agree IT as a straight signing would probably be the odds on favorite. But not by a lot.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:01 am

Off topic, there is an interesting article about Marcus Smart in today's NYT. I couldn't copy it, so I didn't start a new thread, but it's a good read. Fighting thru screens by grabbing the screeners ankle was an entirely new concept to me.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:28 am

Demarcus Cousins is actually a lot stronger than Al and has a lot more left at this point IMHO. Al was on the floor and making bad misses/bricks and turnovers when Knicks brought lead down to 16 right at end of the half.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:43 am

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:This opens up a roster spot.  Now what?  

The Celtics are in a precarious situation.  They need to be careful not to stray away from their goal.  Build the team around the jays.  Who else should be in the DNT category?  Robert Williams definitely and Marcus Smart maybe.

Could a multi-player trade be in the works?  Hard to say.  

Dboss my man. I assume by DNT you mean Do Not Touch. I believe that this team is not good enough to have potentially 4 DNT’s. When you get a minute can you give me 4 DNT’s on the Suns and the Warriors. Please?
Well I said 3 and maybe 4.  3 is probably the max.  Also DNT. Used to signify do not trade.  

I figure we could use one of the TPE to add someone and then the big TPE should land us a starter level player.  

The big one will not be in play until the summer because I do not think the owners want to pay more in taxes.  

In any event this thing will not be fixed all at once.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:55 pm

I see Gerald Green is coming out of retirement. I like Gerald but I don't think we need another break glass incase of emergency player. We could have kept Parker.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 pm

I think that if Boston adds a guy it has to be a scorer/shooter.

Who would be a fit? I have no idea at this point.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm

You sound like Scal

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm

Wait for free agency for a good scorer without giving up trade assets. Save it for perhaps a bigger deal.

You want to target top shooters who are free agents, here you go:

Patty Mills - Brooklyn - 2022
Zach LaVine - Chi 2022
Kelly Oubre Jr. - Cha - 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down