Keeping James Young

5 posters

Go down

Keeping James Young Empty Keeping James Young

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:19 am

Keeping James Young on the Cs roster beyond last Sunday has now cost us the opportunity to get a look at recently acquired Ryan Kelly.

Kelly was just signed by another NBA team while a member of the Maine Red Claws. This is probably a good thing for Kelly as he is
back in the NBA, earning NBA money rather than earning D-League money.

I believe that since Kelly has now been the first guy signed out of the D-League this season that he would have been much more valuable
than whatever James Young has been so far and also in the near (and distant) future to the Cs even if he never got above the 15th man
position.

Yes, Young can be included in a larger trade, but last week he could not even bring home a second round pick when placed directly on the
trade block no matter how much Ainge has said that he (Young) has improved.

Young has, so far, not been tabbed a complete bust bymost mostly since he was not a high first round pick, but he has definitely been much more of
a first round draft pick bust than was Fab Melo when you consider that Melo was a 23rd pick a few years ago.

Again, try to get a used bag of balls for him and wish him good luck in living up to the value of said bag of balls.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Keeping James Young Empty Re: Keeping James Young

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:24 am

wideclyde wrote:Keeping James Young on the Cs roster beyond last Sunday has now cost us the opportunity to get a look at recently acquired Ryan Kelly.

Kelly was just signed by another NBA team while a member of the Maine Red Claws.  This is probably a good thing for Kelly as he is
back in the NBA, earning NBA money rather than earning D-League money.

I believe that since Kelly has now been the first guy signed out of the D-League this season that he would have been much more valuable
than whatever James Young has been so far and also in the near (and distant) future to the Cs even if he never got above the 15th man
position.

Yes, Young can be included in a larger trade, but last week he could not even bring home a second round pick when placed directly on the
trade block no matter how much Ainge has said that he (Young) has improved.

Young has, so far, not been tabbed a complete bust bymost mostly since he was not a high first round pick, but he has definitely been much more of
a first round draft pick bust than was Fab Melo when you consider that Melo was a 23rd pick a few years ago.

Again, try to get a used bag of balls for him and wish him good luck in living up to the value of said bag of balls.

Kelly`s gotten steadily worse during his 3 years in the league. I don`t see this as a big loss. Like Young , he`s a borderline NBA player.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 am

If Kelly was worth it we'd have kept him. No big loss. Neither are gonna contribute much regardless
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:55 am

I've come to look at Young as being symptomatic of two things...

1.) The expectations and issues that go with the one-and-done college ballplayer.  Like many, Young reportedly had no choice but to enter the draft. Academic ineligibility would have kept him from returning.  Academics and playing a second year may possibly have never been a consideration for him from the beginning.

2.)  Rolling straight from the first issue, the fear of NBA teams to pass on a far less than NBA-ready talent, based on perceived future value.  Kid shows a couple of flashes of brilliance in parts of his game, but falls flat in others, and he's a first round pick.  This is the one place I agree with the "crap-shoot" analogy often made about the draft.  These young (in our case 'this Young') players are trying to develop on the NBA level when facets of their skill-set are still barely past high school varsity level.

My opinion is its in good part the system failing the kids.  2-year mandatory eligibility before entering the draft might help.  The same focus that forces the kid to maintain academic eligibility would help foster the mind-set needed on the court.  You get a more well-rounded draft candidate, or at least a longer sample of his game on which to base your selection decision.  Certainly there are and will still be busts that complete a longer college career, but I suspect the percentage of draft flops will be reduced.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:48 pm

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" - and Danny's Beauty for the 17th pick was Young. I wonder what his Beauty level was at in the eyes of the other 29 beholders?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Swish,

If the other 29 "beholders" ever thought of James Young in the year the Cs drafted him it is pretty clear that they have no love for him now. And, why should they? He has been a disappointment right from the very start of his career in Boston.

Ainge said it all last week when he told Young that he made the team (for now) and it may have been the first time that he actually "earned" something in his basketball career.

I would still rather have the 15th roster spot open rather than have Young filling it.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down